Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: THE BIG QB CONTROVERCY

Default THE BIG QB CONTROVERCY

Sorry for the big build up, but Herm Edwards has nipped this one in the bud (as Barny, with his one bullet used to say), Trent Is Our Quarterback and will take the snaps when he returns. Trent said that they are taking it slow and cautious, he might be back mid November, but more likely at the end of November. Like Coach says, you can't believe the Sports Guys, they just rattle to be rattling, take your time Trent, we want you whole and ready to kick you know what when you come back.

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Seahawks!!

:pint: :pint: yum yum :pint: :pint:

Default Re: THE BIG QB CONTROVERCY

I feel that the Offensive line has got to protect Huard, to the best of their ability, we can't afford to lose him until Trent gets back behind center. This in no time for OTJ training for the Rookie, we must continue our winning streak to have a play off chance.

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Rams!!

8-) :pint:

kenny1937 wrote:
    If Huard continues to shine, espeacially if he engeneers some road wins,(starting hopefully with St. Louis), do you go all the way with him? I know that according to Herm that when Trent is deemed healthy, he will be taking snaps, but I was just curious what you out there in radio land, er I mean Chief land think of the situation. (Merely for conversation, understand), because I like Trent and would start him also.

Huard has done far better than I ever anticipated that he could.

However, the fact is that he has limitations that some good defenses can, and will, exploit eventually.

Mike Solari has created game plans that minimize his weaknesses, and that have really maximized his strengths.

But Trent doesn't have the same limitations.
    He has full command of this offense, reads the entire defense (unlike Huard), and is a better, and more accurate, passer.

Because of those qualities, if (and I stresss the word "if") the Chiefs manage to reach the playoffs, Trent Green gives us the best chance at QB to advance.

I do hope that when Trent returns, Solari doesn't forget he has Tony Gonzales the way that Al Saunders did.

Just because you have a talented QB that doesn't limit what you can do in this offense doesn't mean that you can't utilize one of the best TEs in the NFL.

Good Post milkman, I agree, at least Mike had the smarts to minimize Huards weakness, I hope he can call a good Offensive game this week against the Rams.

I don't understand how anyone can make excuses for Huards excellent play. The "limitations" that were mentioned (not specified) aren't any more severe than one would find in most starting quarterbacks in the N.F.L.
    including Trent Green. It isn't that easy to just throw together a gameplan for an incapable quarterback and have success against Marty Schottenheimer or Mike Holmgren led defenses.

I love Trent Green. I expect, if he is ready to play in the next two to three weeks, he will return to the starting quarterback job. But it is just plain silly to undermine what Damon Huard has been doing. He has been proving himself to be a quality starting quarterback in this offense.

While I wouldn't dare to say that we have any kind of a quarterback controversy, I can see where we could soon wind-up with one. If Trent Green does come back within the next couple of games, and struggles. Or, if he doesn't make it back for another five weeks, and Huard has continued to overachieve. Either of these scenarios could send us into a controversy. I would be surprised if Green had any trouble re-adjusting to the game. So, I expect to see him leading the way for the rest of the season, if he gets back in there soon.

Has nobody noticed that Damon Huard has been performing with a moderate serving of pressure? The two-tight-end sets have been fading away. Black and Sampson have been working alone, in space, much more frequently. Albeit, they have performed admirably. But they have still been having some difficulty. Huard has been quick with his delivery, extremely accurate with his throws, and fearlessly throwing when a hit was coming. I noticed alot of this against the Seahags. Primarily, because I was petrified of the prospect of seeing Croyle come in and play.

The point I am making is that Damon Huard is an N.F.L. quarterback. So, when Trent Green returns, the Chiefs have two, very capable quarterbacks, capable of leading this team into the playoffs.

Huard is not asked to read the entire deffense.
    He makes one or two quick reads, then checksdown to LJ in the flat.

He has played outstanding in the last couple of games, and the Chiefs have opened up the offense a little more each week, but he still doesn't have the command of this offense that Trent has, nor the accuracy on deep balls.

When Huard is making reads, he looking at receivers.

When Trent is making reads, he's looking at defenders, and the areas that his receivers should be when he is ready to make his pass.

For the most part, the timing routes have been eliminated from the offense with Huard at QB, as have the deep routes, with the exception of two or three shots a game.

Everyone talks about that long pass that Kennison caught, but hardly anyone realizes that was a poorly thrown ball that tested the limit of Huard's range.

milkman wrote:
    Huard is not asked to read the entire deffense.
    He makes one or two quick reads, then checksdown to LJ in the flat.

He has played outstanding in the last couple of games, and the Chiefs have opened up the offense a little more each week, but he still doesn't have the command of this offense that Trent has, nor the accuracy on deep balls.

When Huard is making reads, he looking at receivers.

When Trent is making reads, he's looking at defenders, and the areas that his receivers should be when he is ready to make his pass.

For the most part, the timing routes have been eliminated from the offense with Huard at QB, as have the deep routes, with the exception of two or three shots a game.

Everyone talks about that long pass that Kennison caught, but hardly anyone realizes that was a poorly thrown ball that tested the limit of Huard's range.

Kennison made him look good on that play. Don't get me wrong he has played well for a back up and the OC has done a good job altering the offense to accommodate Huards strengths and gradually opening things up.

chief31 quote:Has nobody noticed that Damon Huard has been performing with a moderate serving of pressure? The two-tight-end sets have been fading away. Black and Sampson have been working alone, in space, much more frequently. Albeit, they have performed admirably. But they have still been having some difficulty. Huard has been quick with his delivery, extremely accurate with his throws, and fearlessly throwing when a hit was coming. I noticed alot of this against the Seahags. Primarily, because I was petrified of the prospect of seeing Croyle come in and play.

That is a good point, our offensive line play has improved
    and I too was aprehensive about the prospect of OTJ training for the Rookie.

The O line is also aided by the play calling; such as quick passes and screens.

Chiefster wrote:
    The O line is also aided by the play calling; such as quick passes and screens.
    Exactly, and the play callers better stay with what works Sunday against the Rams.

Glad you responded. Though I find it to be very presumptuous to assume that, with all of the time that Huard has within this offense, and working with Trent Green, that Damon hasn't figured out how to look-off defenders. He has thrown one interception. If he were staring down his recievers, defenders would have jumped more routs and come-up with some pics. I haven't seen any of his passes that should have been picked-off. Including the one interception he did throw.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast