Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Romeo's Job

Default Romeo's Job

What makes any of think that if he did not get the job as HC that he would not return as DC???

No one is in the MARKET for HIM!!!

He is not the HC we need.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I don't who eles would have filled the job. Seeing that at the time we still had a shot to make the playoffs. Jim Zorn no thanks. He was the best man for the job on the coaching staff I think he was the right choice. I think he's going to be the Head coach now. He will still be a key part of the defense. I think Romeo would leave the offense more to the OC. And not meddle to much in it.
    I think Zorn could have filled in nicely for three games. He's done it before. If for no other reason than to secure Romeo as our DC for years to come. Maybe I'm wrong here. Maybe Romeo would have taken offense towards Pioli if he had not been offered the interim HC job. It's a touchy situation. I just hate losing Crennel as our DC.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    When it's as simple as not having the talent on the field, I would agree.

But, when they have proven to have the talent to match-up, but simply suffer from breakdowns of technique, assignment, or discipline, then the coaching will always be on the hook for some of the blame.

Part of the coach's job is to get the players to do the right thing. So, when the player does not do the right thing, the coach has some of the responsibility.
    Truth has been written. Opps, Typed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Absolutely. I wish there was a way to keep Romeo in his same position for the forseeable future. Am I the only one here who thinks it was a mistake to make Romeo the interim HC for the final 3 games? We either lose him as our DC to be our HC, or we lose him outright.
    I think making Crennel the head coach was absolutely the right move and coming within a blocked FG of going 3-0 under his leadership bears that out.

Having done that, however, now we are in a position where we have to make him the HC or risk losing him altogether. I'm not worried about the defense taking a step back if he is named permanent HC. He is sure to bring in a guy who shares hes defensive philosophy. Lovie Smith was a defensive guy and since he's become head coach of the Bears, they have always had a good defense. The 4-3 Tampa 2/cover 2 is his baby and he has always made sure his DC supported that. Crennel would do the same with our defense.

If we bring in another head coach, Crennel may feel slighted or feel that he will never get his opportunity to move up here and accept a DC position somewhere else. The new HC may bring in a DC who wants to change the system and then we are dealing with change and instability on both sides of the ball.

That would be a mistake, IMO.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Excellent points made by you guys since my last post.

Okay, don't buy it. That doesn't make it any less true. You use your son to defend your position. He sounds like an excellent athlete. What NFL team does he play for? How has he fared against the Patriots offense?

Let's just look at the raw numbers and see how the offense affects the defense.

Chiefs-opponent (difference, result)
    3-48 (-45 blowout loss)
    3-34 (-31 blowout loss)
    3-31 (-28 blowout loss)
    7-41 (-34 blowout loss)
    7-3 (+4 win)
    9-13 (-4 loss)
    10-37 (-27 blowout loss)
    10-17 (-7 loss)
    10-3 (+7 win)
    13-16 OT (-3 loss, 2 blocked FGs should have won)
    17-20 (-3 loss)
    19-14 (+5 win)
    22-17 (+5 win)
    23-20 OT (+3 win)
    28-24 (+4 win)
    28-00 (+28 blowout win)

Conclusion:
    The Chiefs scored 10 points or less in 9 games this year. All 5 of their blowouts occurred when the Chiefs scored 10 points or less In fact the Chiefs defense was actually good enough to win 2 of those games and keep us close in 2 others.

In the 7 games where the Chiefs scored at least 13 points they were 5-2 and should have been 6-1 (2nd Oakland game). How good is your defense when you know that if the offense scores at least 13 points you are probably going to win? In those 7 games the defense only gave up more than 20 points one time (and that was in a win)!

Do you think it is just a coincidence that the defense only gave up a lot of points in games where the offense couldn't score? We are not losing any "shootouts" here. If we were you could blame the defense.

Facts are facts, whether you "buy" them or not.
    The fct is that 7 points were scored in the first quarter and 21 in the second. So, the D was gassed at the end of the 1rst quarter? LMAO!!

Yes, I used my son as an EXAMPLE of how a HS athlete can hang ALL game long yet OUR PRO team is gassed after 1 quarter??

You an MANY others on this board absolutely refuse to accept the FACT that the DC coach has blame in this as well. Haley can be fired due to losses and implosions, etc etc yet the D coordinator (which he had little to do with) gets no blame for ANY of the short comings!!

The D loses 1 star player and the offense loses 3 key starters...Thus, fire Haley. Incredible.

Crown ROMEO the HC....The only way his record will be better next year will be due to the injury riddin starters that will return...+ Orton.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The range of talent levels is quite a bit different there, don't ya think?

Even in college, you have a range of NFL star, to high school level.

But in high school, you have the dedicated, gifted athletes, and those who will never play again, once they graduate high school.

Being "winded" still leaves the top athletes at a big advantage over the lesser players.

In The NFL, you are going against the top 50 players at their position, in the world. Even going against the lesser players is a physical chore.

But I agree with your overall statement, that the defense did not play well during the games mentioned.

More often than not, they played pretty well for the fist half. But they did fall apart.

But this defense was exceptional for most of their games in 2011.
    Yes Sir....The talent level is different...I know that and will not refute it.

However, it is a "level" of play that can be graded in scope just as we do acedemics.

I appreciate you seeing that the Defense did not play well. It is true and using the excuse of being gassed after one quarter was not the point. IMHO, coaching was the breakdown. The inability to adjust on the fly and lack of preparation. Then, the rest is on the players.

I believe it all boils down to the HC. In our case Haley was becoming more and more disliked by his players as time went on, starting back before the season even started. When you start to lose your players faith in you it spreads like a bad cancer. You can either fight the cancer or in Haley's case, you can just give up. Haley couldn't handle all the pressure. This is one name you have not heard about in all of the searches so far this year as HC or OC.

I think this is the main reason why our defense gave up such horrendous points allowed.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011...-starting.html

And it wasn't our punters fault (one of the best in NFL).
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Regardless of what KC did to beat GB (and it was great), GB could not game plan. They were coming into a game with a QB that had taken 1 snap with the Chiefs. and a new HC. They had no idea what KC was going to do. It was a perfect storm for both sides. I didn't care for him in Cleveland, and he's inconsistant as DC. But if we end up with him, then I hope the organization spends some money and puts a team on the field. Or it won't matter who's coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    The fct is that 7 points were scored in the first quarter and 21 in the second. So, the D was gassed at the end of the 1rst quarter? LMAO!!

You know that the second quarter is after the first quarter right. And if you leave a defense on the field for 20+mins then yes...they get tired.

Yes, I used my son as an EXAMPLE of how a HS athlete can hang ALL game long yet OUR PRO team is gassed after 1 quarter??
    Really?? A high school game?? Come on man!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    What makes any of think that if he did not get the job as HC that he would not return as DC???

No one is in the MARKET for HIM!!!

He is not the HC we need.
    Because he is under contract.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast