Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romeo's Job

Hybrid View

Default Romeo's Job

What makes any of think that if he did not get the job as HC that he would not return as DC???

No one is in the MARKET for HIM!!!

He is not the HC we need.

He was quoted to say that he wanted to become a HC again after Haley was fired. He may be kinda insulted to be told thanks for applying, but you are gonna stay our DC ...

Because he stepped up and took a team that had been on a 5 game losing streak and beat GB who were SB champs last year and look to repeat, had a Raiders team beat but had two FG's blocked which isn't his fault and then coached us to a victory in Denver. In all reality he should be 3-0 as interim HC.

The guy wants to be a HC again, has shown that he can game plan for different teams and with talent can handle the job as HC & DC. How is he not ready? If you stepped into your bosses shoes and did a fantastic job and said that you wanted his job wouldn't you look elsewhere if you didn't get the job? Or would you be satisfied and just happily go back to the lower position?

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Because he stepped up and took a team that had been on a 5 game losing streak and beat GB who were SB champs last year and look to repeat, had a Raiders team beat but had two FG's blocked which isn't his fault and then coached us to a victory in Denver. In all reality he should be 3-0 as interim HC.

The guy wants to be a HC again, has shown that he can game plan for different teams and with talent can handle the job as HC & DC. How is he not ready? If you stepped into your bosses shoes and did a fantastic job and said that you wanted his job wouldn't you look elsewhere if you didn't get the job? Or would you be satisfied and just happily go back to the lower position?

He did not step up...The players did and Orton made a difference because he played GB several times when he was with the Bears. Add adrenaline along with that due to the coaching change as well.

To say he done a fantastic job is imho, a stretch.

To say he has done a fantastic job as a DC is a bit of a stretch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    He did not step up...The players did and Orton made a difference because he played GB several times when he was with the Bears. Add adrenaline along with that due to the coaching change as well.

To say he done a fantastic job is imho, a stretch.

To say he has done a fantastic job as a DC is a bit of a stretch as well.
    A coaches job is to get the players prepared. As DC and HC if he can't get the team to step up then he shouldn't be either. We got creamed by a Jets team that missed the playoffs and then a week later we beat the reigning SB champs. What changed in that week? So yes, a fantastic job.

As far as a DC I'd say that's a directly related to the amount of time they've had to spend on the field in our losses.

A coaches job is to get the players prepared. As DC and HC if he can't get the team to step up then he shouldn't be either. We got creamed by a Jets team that missed the playoffs and then a week later we beat the reigning SB champs. What changed in that week? So yes, a fantastic job.

As far as a DC I'd say that's a directly related to the amount of time they've had to spend on the field in our losses.
    How did they do as a team in the 2 games following the GB win?

Oh...Ok.

If he is the all great "DC" why did the D get torched by the Jets and a few others? EH???

While the offense surely lost several games due to lack of scoring, the defense gave up SEVERAL huge losses as well.

If he is the all great "DC" why did the D get torched by the Jets and a few others? EH???
    Off the top of my head, I would say that was because the offense couldn't move the ball. In the first half the Chiefs offense was on the field for 10:29, while the defense labored for 19:31. The Chiefs had 7 offensive drives for a total of 4 yards in the first half. Their longest drive was was 1:40. 13 yards and 4 plays. Don't you think that would wear down a defense?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

How did they do as a team in the 2 games following the GB win?

Oh...Ok.
    Unless Crennel was out on the field when those two FG's were blocked you cant' blame him for that. Make either one of those and we're in the playoffs.

While the offense surely lost several games due to lack of scoring, the defense gave up SEVERAL huge losses as well.
    I'm going to try and sum up the games that I felt were big losses which to me is anything greater than 10 points.

Buffalo - Four of their drives started at our 35 yard line or closer. Two were around their 40 yard line and the last was at their 25. We had 3 turnovers, 2 fumbles and 1 interception. One of which was the opening kickoff. Of the longer drives most of the yards were from big plays...not Crennel's fault, his players.

Detroit - All I should have to say is 6 turnovers...SIX! Not the D's fault but when the D was on the field it was penalties and big plays.

Miami - Two TD's started on the KC side of the field. Between starting on our side of the field and giving up big plays, again none of that is on Crennel.

NE - We just gave up to many big plays. One of the TD's was a punt return so you can't put that on the D but even then it would have been 27-3. Point blank we gave up to many long drives and big plays and that is on the D. But everyone has a bad game so I tend to shrug this one off.

Jets - The defense was on the field for a 2 to 1 time of possesion and like the Miami game, 2 TD's started on the KC side of the field. The 3rd TD I'll bring up was the one that our defense had something like 91 yards of penalties (Haley got a penalty here too). That's 21 points and would make the score 16-10 had it not been that way.

As you can see after reading this one of the things that Haley talked about was being consistent and not giving up stupid plays or getting called for penalties. Of the monster blow outs you can see that most of the time it was the offense not doing anything and giving them great field position or having turnovers. When it was on the D it was big plays or penalties. For the third time not Crennel's fault. You can game plan all you want but on Sunday it's the players that have to make the plays.

There is a case both for and against Romeo being the Head coach.

FOR

The Packers game. That game while it was only one game showed that he can get this team to play against the top ter teams in the NFL. Going 2-1 with this team in 3 games witch really should have been 3-0 if A. Bowe doesn't drop a td catch or B. the Field goal protect unit doesn't decide to take the week off this team could have made the playoffs. This should be considered.

The players like him. They will also no what they are going to get from the head coach. Romeo would be going into his 3rd season with the Chiefs They know him by now. That would be a good thing. The defense wouldn't change all that much as well. A new coach would change a lot more.

He has been a head coach before. It wasn't the best but that happens often with Coaches in there first stint as the head coach. They learn from it and they become better coaches for it. You also have to keep in mind where he was coaching. The Browns have not been good with any coach in a Number of years. I think (not sure have not looked it up) that There best year since they returned to the NFL was under Romeo.

Cons

Age. Romeo is not going to be around for more then about 4 or 5 years. Then we will yet again be looking for a new head coach. IMO It's a much better option to go with someone younger who could be around from a good 7-10 years then Romeo.

Hes failed before. As noted in the pros he was head coach with the Browns. While a number of coaches are much better in there 2nd go around as a head coach that is not something that is automatic. It could work out the same way. Now with that said you can say the same thing about a proven coach. It's not automatic that he will work out if Jeff Fisher would be brought in. But you have to look at the fact that Romeo has failed before as head coach before you offer him the job.

All in all I don't think that this is a must hire. But I won't mind at all seeing him as the Head coach either.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast