Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Del Rio to interview for Chiefs job. WHY??

Default Jack Del Rio to interview for Chiefs job. WHY??

We didn't see this coming: Former Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio will interview for the Chiefs' head-coaching job Friday, according to Kansas City's KCTV5.

Jacksonville fired Del Rio in late November after a 3-8 start. It was his eighth season with the Jaguars and he left with a 68-71 record, including two playoff appearances. But the Jags under Del Rio hadn't finished above .500 since 2007, a four-year span that included two 5-11 finishes (including '11, when they went 2-3 with Mel Tucker as the interim head coach). And sources told CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco that Del Rio had lost his drive, showing up to work at 9 a.m., which is swell for your garden-variety sedentary pencil pusher but equivalent to banker's hours for an NFL head coach.

Former Jaguars running back Fred Taylor, who played for Tom Coughlin and Del Rio before ending his career with Bill Belichick and the Patriots, said that Del Rio played favorites and that contributed to his downfall.

"Why do you think I'm not there?" Taylor asked the ThePostGame.com's Eric Adelson shortly after Del Rio was canned. "… At the end of the day, [Del Rio]'s not a head coach. He's a great defensive coach. But he's not a head coach."

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I think your right. If he's not named the new head coach soon then I think we are going to get Green Bays OC as the new head coach as soon as the packers are done playing. But I think it's going to be Romeo and I am ok with that.
    That would be my guess as well.

Why hasnt a hc been named its been a month now. If we start all over again with coaching staff i may throw up in my mouth. wouldnt they have named crennel by now.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Why hasnt a hc been named its been a month now. If we start all over again with coaching staff i may throw up in my mouth. wouldnt they have named crennel by now.
    None of the other teams have announced their new head coach yet either. There are too many potential candidates who are involved in the playoffs.

If the Chiefs announce Crennel now they open themselves up to criticism for not trying to get the best possible man for the job. Even if they have already decided on Crennel (and I hope they have) they need to at least make a show of trying to make sure they do what is best for the team.

There is still plenty of time before the draft and Free agency starts. nobody is going anywhere. Have patience.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Del Rio was a Chief at one time...Also, we know that the current Giants coach and Super Bowl winner, Tom Coughlin was sh*t canned by the Jags as well. So, that could also mean there is an owner/GM issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I'm not exactly sure why we are interviewing the guy - unless Pioli has already decided on Romeo as the HC and is interviewing Del Rio for the newly vacant DC job.
    The Rooney Rule!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    None of the other teams have announced their new head coach yet either. There are too many potential candidates who are involved in the playwoffs.

If the Chiefs announce Crennel now they open themselves up to criticism for not trying to get the best possible man for the job. Even if they have already decided on Crennel (and I hope they have) they need to at least make a show of trying toi make sure they do what is best for the team.

There is still plenty of time before the draft and Free agency starts. nobody is going anywhere. Have patience.
    Im a chiefs, mizzou, royals fan patience is actually one thing i have. I have a strange feeling though.....

None of the other teams have announced their new head coach yet either. There are too many potential candidates who are involved in the playoffs.

If the Chiefs announce Crennel now they open themselves up to criticism for not trying to get the best possible man for the job. Even if they have already decided on Crennel (and I hope they have) they need to at least make a show of trying to make sure they do what is best for the team.

I'm not sure that Pioli or Hunt really care about how they appear to other teams. I really don't know why Crennel hasn't been announced yet - unless they have somebody else in mind.
    SHUT IT

were interviewing these guys then *wham* we land cowher :> lol i have to agree crennel deserves our head coaching position i wouldn't mind del rio as d cordinator but i could see us giving that to emmit thomas let him and crennel run d. my question is on offense, we couldn't score we don't know whos our starting qb and should muir be left in charge on that side? i say no

I think the Chiefs are just interviewing him because he is available. This is just the Chiefs doing their due diligence. Same thing with Fisher. We knew he (Jeff) would want too much money to come here before we interviewed him.

Me, too, although maybe not that soon. The Chiefs may wait until after the playoffs to make a formal announcement.
    I think it was less about the money and more about control with Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    were interviewing these guys then *wham* we land cowher :> lol i have to agree crennel deserves our head coaching position i wouldn't mind del rio as d cordinator but i could see us giving that to emmit thomas let him and crennel run d. my question is on offense, we couldn't score we don't know whos our starting qb and should muir be left in charge on that side? i say no
    The guy that owns rumors, a restaurant in lees summit, hes from my home town and employs a few of my friends all said cowher was in lees summit buying a house. Does cowher have family in kc?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast