Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft 2012: Do You Really Need to Take a Running Back Early?

Default NFL Draft 2012: Do You Really Need to Take a Running Back Early?

The NFL has morphed into a passing league over the last few years, with Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady leading the charge. This season, three QBs passed for over 5,000 yards, and three tossed 45 or more TD passes. (Only two QBs have topped 40 TD passes in the last decade – Manning in 2004, Brady in 2007.) Which leads me to this question about the 2012 NFL draft: Despite a strong RB group, should you really burn a high pick on a running back?
    * In 2011, 3 WRs were drafted before the first RB was taken.
    * From 2009-2011, here are the RBs taken in the first round: Knowshon Moreno (Denver), Donald Brown (Indianapolis), Beanie Wells (Arizona), CJ Spiller (Buffalo), Ryan Mathews (San Diego), Jahvid Best (Detroit), and Mark Ingram (New Orleans).
    * You know what the last three NFL rushing champs have in common? They all missed the playoffs.
    * No running back in the top five for yardage the last two years was drafted in the first round.
    And before we get to the 2012 crop of RBs, check this out:
    Every RB who rushed for over 1,000 yards in 2011 and where they were drafted (I know 1,000 yards is arbitrary, but so is 1,100 or 1,200):
    Maurice Jones-Drew, 2nd round 60th overall 2006
    Ray Rice, 2nd round, 55th overall in 2008
    Michael Turner, 5th round, 154th overall in 2004
    LeSean McCoy, 2nd round, 53rd overall in 2009
    Arian Foster, undrafted
    Frank Gore 3rd round, 65th overall in 2005
    Marshawn Lynch, 1st round, 12th overall in 2007
    Willis McGahee, 1st round, 23rd overall in 2003
    Steven Jackson, 1st round, 24th overall in 2004
    Ryan Mathews, 1st round, 12th overall in 2010
    Reggie Bush, 1st round, 2nd overall in 2006
    Cedric Benson, 1st round, 4th overall in 2005
    Shonn Greene, 3rd round, 65th overall in 2009
    Chris Johnson, 1st round, 24th overall in 2008
    Beanie Wells, 1st round, 31st overall in 2009
    Every RB who rushed for over 1,000 yards in 2010
    Arian Foster
    Jamaal Charles, 3rd round, 73rd overall in 2008
    Michael Turner
    Chris Johnson
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Adrian Peterson, 1st round, 7th overall in 2007
    Rashard Mendenhall, 1st round, 23rd overall in 2008
    Steven Jackson
    Ahmad Bradshaw 7th round, 250th overall in 2007
    Ray Rice
    Peyton Hillis CLE, 7th round, 227th overall in 2008
    Darren McFadden, 1st round, 4th overall in 2008
    Cedric Benson, 1st round, 4th overall in 2005
    LeSean McCoy
    Matt Forte, 2nd round, 44th overall in 2008
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis, undrafted
    LeGarrette Blount, undrafted
    Every RB who rushed for over 1,000 yards in 2009
    Chris Johnson
    Steven Jackson
    Thomas Jones, 1st round, 7th overall in 2000
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Adrian Peterson
    Ray Rice
    Ryan Grant, undrafted
    Cedric Benson
    Jonathan Stewart, 1st round, 13th overall in 2008
    Ricky Williams, 1st round, 5th overall in 1999
    Frank Gore
    Jamaal Charles
    DeAngelo Williams, 1st round, 27th overall in 2006
    Rashard Mendenhall
    Fred Jackson, undrafted
    I love Alabama’s Trent Richardson as much as the next guy – I’ve had him top 10 in all three mock drafts – but with these figures in mind, do you really need to take him in the Top 5 or 10 or even 20? Given recent history, it doesn’t seem to make sense to grab a RB too early. My guess – with four months before the draft – is that there will be a run on the strong 2012 RB class starting in the second round, and maybe extend to the third. Here are a few guys you’ll be hearing about at next month’s combine (with best-case scenario NFL comp in parens):
    Lamar Miller, Miami, 5-11, 215, 4.42 40 time (MJD)
    David Wilson, Virginia Tech, 5-10, 205, 4.42 40 time (LeSean McCoy)
    Doug Martin, Boise State, 5-9, 210, 4.48 40 time (Ray Rice)
    Chris Polk, Washington, 5-11, 220, 4.48 40 time (Matt Forte)
    Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati, 5-10, 200, 4.42 40 time (Jamaal Charles)

I like Trent Richardson a lot and it would fill a large need, but I don't think its the smartest pick at #12. I would love to see a qb, but don't think there will be any qb's at that value left. OL would be next in line there are some really good RT's and G's that should be there for us. If the Chiefs throw out the idea of drafting a qb in the first three rounds than I could see them going after Trent. He would surtainly make Cassel, Orton or Stanzi, and the entire OL look better. If he is still there he would be very good value, but still not my first choice.
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 01-06-2012 at 11:23 PM.

I've been touting another name that is a between the tackles back, that can catch out of the backfield, but still has the ability to break a big run...kinda reminds me of Ray Rice

Vick Ballard from Ms. State (5'11" 220 lbs) we could possibly nab this guy in like the 4th round, and he could be the successor to Thomas Jones.

We have Jammal Charles who gives us that "home run" threat, but I agree that the NFL is being morphed into a QB-WR league, RB's just are the big dogs anymore.

I would love the combination of Richardson and Charles, but I don't like the idea of spending a 1st round pick to get him, when we could spend a 4th on someone like the guy I mentioned and still get decent productivity out of him.

With Charles coming back running back isn't a huge need so I wouldn't use an early round pick on one.

Great points. I've always thought it was the O-line then the talent of the RB. A great RB can make an ok line good but a great line can make an ok rb and ok qb great. Look at our own team when we had Willie Roaf and the rest of the dream team on our O-line LJ looked like Jim Brown without our great line he looked like 2.7. We need to build our line then we could put Jackie Battle in and he would look like a monster.

If you're going to take a running back in the first round, you're better off taking an o-lineman. That's my philosophy, and I'm sticking to it.

Though I am not a BPA type drafter, if Claiborne, Blackmon, or Kalil slip, grab them. Otherwise, DeCastro ( G from Standford ), Jefferey ( WR from USCe ), Trent (RB) / Upshaw (OLD/DE) / Hightower (ILB) / Barron (S) (from Bama), or Kuechly (ILB from BC ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If you're going to take a running back in the first round, you're better off taking an o-lineman. That's my philosophy, and I'm sticking to it.
    And it's a good philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I like your philosophy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanathol View Post
    Though I am not a BPA type drafter, if Claiborne, Blackmon, or Kalil slip, grab them. Otherwise, DeCastro ( G from Standford ), Jefferey ( WR from USCe ), Trent (RB) / Upshaw (OLD/DE) / Hightower (ILB) / Barron (S) (from Bama), or Kuechly (ILB from BC ).
    We don't need defense in the early rounds. All we need is depth, which can be found much later.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast