Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs are planning to retain Romeo Crennel and remove interimtag

Default Chiefs are planning to retain Romeo Crennel and remove interimtag

AdamSchefterAdam Schefter

Chiefs are planning to retain Romeo Crennel and remove interim tag from his title. Move would be popular in the locker room.

I am very glad that they put Romeo in as HC, and that it was done this quickly, because now we can get the coordinator positions taken care of, and have a whole coaching staff in place and ready for the draft and FA period.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    I could see emmitt moving up the ladder to dc or atleast helping romeo call defensive plays.
    also maybe not to martz

I actually like Martz's system, but you have to have the right players for it and I don't think we do. It also takes a long time to learn and some guys never pick it up.

On the other hand, I actually think our receivers are a better fit for him than Chicago's. And with Matt Forte, he did show the flexibility to go to a more balanced running/passing attack. If he would be willing to do that with the Chiefs, I think we would have a very potent offense (assuming we upgrade the O-line). But it seemed like he wanted to pass as much as he could get away with and only run as much as he had to.

The biggest problem with Martz's system is that it is high risk/high reward. There are more big plays but at the cost of more turnovers. And because his plays take longer to develop, the QB takes a tremendous beating.

I don't think he is a good fit for the Chiefs, but I don't hate the idea either. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a "gunslinger" like Orton.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Cool Defensive Coordinator

I think with Romeo as head coach, bringing in Eric Mangini as defensive coordinator would be a good choice. Mangini worked under Crennel, during his stint as DC in NE, and then took over as DC himself when Romeo left for Cleveland. Mel Tucker from Jacksonville might also be a possibility for DC, as he worked in the same role under Romeo in Cleveland. Both would be great choices that would well with Crennel. As for OC, I think bringing in Mularky from Atlanta would be a good choice if we could put him in an assistant HC/OC or even just OC/HC-in-waiting.

Last edited by Chief Concerns; 01-07-2012 at 12:43 PM.

I could see Pepper Johnson - current DL coach at New England - getting a look as Crennels DC.
    SHUT IT

Promote Emmit Thomas to DC!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Promote Emmit Thomas to DC!!
    I actually see this is most probable - now for OC...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I actually see this is most probable - now for OC...
    Thats the one that interests me more. Our O has a ton of talent but they need some help. Badly
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

The more continuity the better. Haley and muir were the big problems on our coaching staff last year. Zorn gets promoted to OC, maybe trent green is brought in for QB coach? I really like the idea of eric mangini for DC

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    The more continuity the better. Haley and muir were the big problems on our coaching staff last year. Zorn gets promoted to OC, maybe trent green is brought in for QB coach? I really like the idea of eric mangini for DC
    Definetely continuity. We are currently looking for our fourth (fifth, counting Haley) OC since Pioli has been here. Ugly stat.
    SHUT IT

Muir seemed to call better Offense, sans Haley, but as he is likely retiring, we'll need an OC (And really, we needed one anyhow).

Not sure who is the answer, but no doubt Pioli and Crennel are looking hard.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast