Thread: our new "players coach"

Hybrid View

Default our new "players coach"

Interesting read from the Kansas City Star. Its an article about Pioli but has an interesting story in it. KansasCity.com | 404

Tamba Hali says Crennel is the kind of man players want to please. Dexter McCluster says Crennel has a unique way of motivating millionaire athletes to give that extra effort. Le’Ron McClain said Crennel has the “overwhelming” support of the most important players, and if you take any of this to mean Crennel is a pushover, there is an instructive story you might want to hear. The setting was a team meeting a few weeks ago, after Crennel was appointed interim coach. He stood before his players as their tenuous leader, nobody quite certain how he would use the power … and he dogged Thomas Jones. In front of the entire team. Understand that as much as Todd Haley earned his reputation as a disciplinarian —fat camp, cuss words, we-only-talk-about-the-players-who-are-here —players grew to think that some guys were off-limits. This was a special status. Matt Cassel made it as the quarterback. Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali worked themselves into it. Casey Wiegmann earned it based on his long career, and so did Jones. So this group of players had never seen Jones called out by the head coach. Certainly not for everyone to see, and as they scooted up in their chairs and pushed their heads forward to get a better look, you know what happened next?

Jones took it. He nodded. Listened carefully. Maybe even smiled a bit, because deep down, he sort of liked it. Enough of his teammates did, too, and over two offseasons and 29 games as defensive coordinator and three games as interim head coach, the Chiefs saw so many of the characteristics they want to embody in Crennel.

I hope this goes good. But, I have my doubts.

Blah Blah..LOL!

What about this:

Chiefs pick Crennel as head coach - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

"However, the Browns continued to have issues on and off the field and there was a general feeling Crennel was too lenient. When wide receiver Braylon Edwards cut his foot during training camp while running around in his socks, Crennel downplayed the incident as youthful immaturity, saying at the time: “Kids are kids and you look at kids and they take their shoes off and run around all the time.”
    He was also criticized for using a coin flip to pick his starting quarterback before the 2007 exhibition opener. The Browns finished 10-6 in his third season, narrowly missing the playoffs, but fell to 4-12 in 2008, losing their last six games. Against Pittsburgh, Crennel was 0-8, including a 31-0 blowout in his final game"

I hope he has matured as well...LOL

Too much of a "Players" coach can also be dangerous....

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Blah Blah..LOL!

What about this:

Chiefs pick Crennel as head coach - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

"However, the Browns continued to have issues on and off the field and there was a general feeling Crennel was too lenient. When wide receiver Braylon Edwards cut his foot during training camp while running around in his socks, Crennel downplayed the incident as youthful immaturity, saying at the time: “Kids are kids and you look at kids and they take their shoes off and run around all the time.”
    He was also criticized for using a coin flip to pick his starting quarterback before the 2007 exhibition opener. The Browns finished 10-6 in his third season, narrowly missing the playoffs, but fell to 4-12 in 2008, losing their last six games. Against Pittsburgh, Crennel was 0-8, including a 31-0 blowout in his final game"

I hope he has matured as well...LOL

Too much of a "Players" coach can also be dangerous....
    I agree...this is what concerns me the most. Right now the players are apparently on a Crennel "high" and I hope it really is because of Crennel and not a case of the alternative of Crennel is more preferred than Haley. The last three games are a sample, the real test will be when the team is relying on Crennel for gameplanning...and all of the other head coaching responsibilities..not just the ra-ra stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    I agree...this is what concerns me the most. Right now the players are apparently on a Crennel "high" and I hope it really is because of Crennel and not a case of the alternative of Crennel is more preferred than Haley. The last three games are a sample, the real test will be when the team is relying on Crennel for gameplanning...and all of the other head coaching responsibilities..not just the ra-ra stuff.

Crennel is very well respected around the NFL, he is very good at what he does. You don't get the kind of reputation he has by being an easy going buddy buddy good ol boy type of guy. As said, this may very well be the best choice at the best time for the Chiefs. I believe he will do well. I believe Pioli will do a better going into the FA this next season. He will build in the area's that we are the weakest. We will be a better team next year, you can count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Crennel is very well respected around the NFL, he is very good at what he does. You don't get the kind of reputation he has by being an easy going buddy buddy good ol boy type of guy. As said, this may very well be the best choice at the best time for the Chiefs. I believe he will do well. I believe Pioli will do a better going into the FA this next season. He will build in the area's that we are the weakest. We will be a better team next year, you can count on it.
    I am definitely pulling for Crennel that is for sure. The thing I will say about Pioli is, regarding your comment that you think he will "do better in FA"...I am not sure I see this situation as him "messing up", but in reality quite possibly a situation where in some situations he got caught trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. Part of the "Patriot Way" is to find treasures in the trash dump that fit the system. A by-product of that is you have players that make an impact within the system that are not "stars"....stars are expensive. IMO, that was one of the keys why Clark Hunt was soo drawn to Pioli....the concept is he doesn't need to "max" the cap to field a competitive team. I don't want to say Pioli is being hamstrung, but I do think that with this year and next year not having a cap floor, Hunt wants to maximize the return and realize as much profit as possible. I think this has alot to do with the stadium rennovations being funded by the team (not sure about the percentage).

I don't see it as messing up per say but just not doing enough. Now granted last year was a scramble due to the short off season, lock out and so on. Can't really pass too much blame on anyone for that. This year will be a whole other story. I expect more this year. I demand more this year as a fan. Hunt wants to make money as I'm sure he does, he has to get the Fans back to Arrowhead, If you win games, they will come. We HAVE to be competitive next year. And it all starts up top......Who would have ever thought our biggest worry next year could be TEBOW?

Tebow is no worry. I think we showed that.