Thread: Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer decides to leave

Default Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer decides to leave

The New York Jets experienced an exodus of assistant coaches Tuesday, led by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who announced that he would not return to the team in 2012.

"After much thought and consideration, I have decided not to return to the New York Jets in 2012," Schottenheimer said in a statement released by the team. "I am very proud of what we have accomplished in the six years I have been here. I am grateful for the relationships that I have with our players and coaches and appreciate the hard work and dedication that went into our success. My family and I would like to thank Rex Ryan and the entire Jets organization and wish them continued success. I look forward to the exciting opportunities that lie ahead."

Despite two consecutive appearances in the AFC Championship Game, Schottenheimer was often the focal point of criticism for a disappointing Jets offense that failed to mesh in 2011, with many pointing to the lack of progress by quarterback Mark Sanchez.

"Brian and I talked and I understand his decision to look for a fresh start," said Head Coach Rex Ryan. "I'd like to thank him for all of his contributions these past three seasons. He's been right there with me, shoulder to shoulder, and played a key role in our success, helping us to reach two AFC Championship games. As I've said before, coaching is in his bloodlines, he has a tremendous work ethic and I consider myself fortunate to have worked with him. He has acquired a lot of experience at a young age and has a bright future in front of him. I know that he will be a successful head coach one day - probably sooner than later."

Schottenheimer is the son of longtime NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer, who recently interviewed for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers vacant head coaching position.

I think that if Marty gets the Tampa job That's where Brian will go next.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

That could be why he quit...

Another team in the hunt for an offensive coordinator!
    So far

Atlanta
    Cleveland
    Kansas City
    N.Y Jets
    Tampa Bay

are looking for OC's. Not sure if St. Louis replaced McDaniels yet either.