Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Romeo tells the SiriusXM Blitz he will continue to call defense

Default Romeo tells the SiriusXM Blitz he will continue to call defense

Just heard on the SiriusXM Blitz, Romeo told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon that he will continue to call the plays on defense.

Personally, I like this. He didn't seem to have any problems doing this effectively in his last 3 games as head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Just heard on the SiriusXM Blitz, Romeo told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon that he will continue to call the plays on defense.

Personally, I like this. He didn't seem to have any problems doing this effectively in his last 3 games as head coach.

Maybe so, but when you add the pe-season games this year and the regular 16 game schedule, it's a load that few can do.
    Last edited by chief31; 01-13-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Quote fix

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post

Maybe so, but when you add the pe-season games this year and the regular 16 game schedule, it's a load that few can do.
    Well he didn't call the defense in Cleveland, so this a welcome change for me from his first head coaching gig.

Look at some of the best teams out there...Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton both call the offensive plays. If you have a good thing going, why change it?
    Last edited by chief31; 01-13-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Quote fix

[quote=dbolan;251531]

Personally, I like this. He didn't seem to have any problems doing this effectively in his last 3 games as head coach.[/quote]

I can't believe I'm doing this but I have to agree with you. lol

Haley thought he could carry the load too. Time will tell but I'm not a fan of him doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post

I can't believe I'm doing this but I have to agree with you. lol

Haley thought he could carry the load too. Time will tell but I'm not a fan of him doing this.
    I think the big difference is that Todd Haley is by no means one of the best playcallers in the league. When it comes to defense, Romeo is. And Rich Gannon went out of his way to say this to Romeo during the interview.

11 ppg given up during his 3 games as coach/playcaller.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 01-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.

I think the big difference is that Todd Haley is by no means one of the best playcallers in the league. When it comes to defense, Romeo is. And Rich Gannon went out of his way to say this to Romeo during the interview.

11 ppg given up during his 3 games as coach/playcaller.
    There's a big difference between temp coach and regular coach. If he fails as temp coach whatever, he goes back to being the DC. If he fails as the HC he gets canned and doesn't just go back to the DC here at least.

I agree that Romeo is really good. But there's going to be a lot more on his plate over the course of the year then there was in just the last three games.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    But there's going to be a lot more on his plate over the course of the year then there was in just the last three games.
    I just don't see this...I'm sorry. I don't know what could possibly be different about the last 3 games vs. a full season. Each week is the same, you prepare for the team you are getting ready to play.

I'm just not buying that it will be any different from what he did over the last 3 weeks. Hell, he had to worry about getting a new quarterback ready to play in his first week. He definitely won't have that load next year.

In the last three games Romeo spread the workload around to his assistant coaches to free him up to do his HC duties. So long as we can keep most of the defensive assistant coaches in place we have little reason to believe this won't work. After 30 some years I believe Romeo knows what he is getting himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    In the last three games Romeo spread the workload around to his assistant coaches to free him up to do his HC duties. So long as we can keep most of the defensive assistant coaches in place we have little reason to believe this won't work. After 30 some years I believe Romeo knows what he is getting himself into.

As long as he has good position coaches actually coaching the players, I don't have a problem with him calling the defensive plays. You know he will be heavily involved in the game planning anyway, and I trust him over bringing in a new guy.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I am not a fan of this either. I would prefer a head coach focus on the overall gameplanning and taking care of the lockerroom dynamics as opposed to tinkering in the individual playcalling. The head coach should work with the coordinators to be on the same page as far as philosophy goes.

I was hoping for a younger, up-and-coming coordinator that Crennel feels comfortable working with. Now, on the offensive side of the ball, we definitely need an innovative coordinator that Crennel can basically hand over the keys to our offense. We need to grab someone like Tom Clements from Green Bay or Pete Carmichael Jr. from New Orleans.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast