Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Everyone read this Pioli is a Joke.

The difference between college and the NFL is that teams are on a level playing field in the NFL, from players to facilities. In college, bigger schools like Notre Dame will attract coaches from lesser schools. By going to Notre Dame Brian Kelly gets:

1.) A lot more money for himself
    2.) A lot more money for his program (better facilities, equipment)
    3.) The prestige attached to Notre Dame to attract recruits.

There is no comparison between this and the pros really. In all likelihood, a lateral move in the NFL will not provide any of these benefits, except maybe better players. But if you're on a team that has crappy players, chances are your team isn't performing well so another team wouldn't be doing everything they can to get you to move over to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    The difference between college and the NFL is that teams are on a level playing field in the NFL, from players to facilities. In college, bigger schools like Notre Dame will attract coaches from lesser schools. By going to Notre Dame Brian Kelly gets:

1.) A lot more money for himself
    2.) A lot more money for his program (better facilities, equipment)
    3.) The prestige attached to Notre Dame to attract recruits.

There is no comparison between this and the pros really. In all likelihood, a lateral move in the NFL will not provide any of these benefits, except maybe better players. But if you're on a team that has crappy players, chances are your team isn't performing well so another team wouldn't be doing everything they can to get you to move over to them.
    Yes all of that can be listed but Cincy has continued to be a good program that has been mentioned a whole lot more since Kelly left than ND has. I can't say which team would have paid Kelly more. Sure ND historically has had more money but they've been mid pack for a long time and Cincy has risen to prominence as of late.

Regardless of money, prestige or better facilities Kelly left because he'd always dreamed of coaching at ND. A desire to coach somewhere will happen at any level no matter the difference between the levels. Kelly had also just got Cincy to an undefeated season. I would think that Cincy would have thrown a boat load of money at Kelly to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Yes all of that can be listed but Cincy has continued to be a good program that has been mentioned a whole lot more since Kelly left than ND has. I can't say which team would have paid Kelly more. Sure ND historically has had more money but they've been mid pack for a long time and Cincy has risen to prominence as of late.

Regardless of money, prestige or better facilities Kelly left because he'd always dreamed of coaching at ND. A desire to coach somewhere will happen at any level no matter the difference between the levels. Kelly had also just got Cincy to an undefeated season. I would think that Cincy would have thrown a boat load of money at Kelly to stay.
    Reasonable point made there.

But has it ever happened in The NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    So I'd say it's quite possible that if Haley had been here and was winning that he'd have left for a position with the Steelers if it came open.
    We could only be so lucky. But I couldn't see Haley resigning his HC position to take a lesser position on another team.
    SHUT IT

Just how far down the rabbit hole are we going?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Just how far down the rabbit hole are we going?
    Just brought up an interesting concept about a HC leaving a successful team, and I realized that I have never heard of it happening in The NFL.

I mean, it would be a pretty rare thing anyway. But especially in The NFL, I would think.

In college, the notoriety of some schools could be a huge boost to a coaches career options, as far as opening doors to The NFL.

But, in The NFL, there is no higher league to aim for, and notoriety would play a far less significant role in such a decision.

When I saw that idea rolled out for Todd Haley, something in me instantly jumped back, as if the notion were completely far-fetched. I can't help but to be curious if that was just me, or if the notion is truly as unprecedented as it seems.

Look Pal....

Just help me find an example, or HUSH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I still would like to ask Haley one question. If all of these things you say were happening the minute you walked into the stadioum, you should have asked better questions before you came on board.

Hunt and Pioli are leading this team, they have the mindset they want for this team, it is their team afterall. If Haley wanted to wear ratty old clothes, he should have asked if that was going to be a problem.

You should never assume anything when going into a new job, and I have no doubt that Hunt and Pioli have a reason that even Gretz does not get. I am not a huge fan of Gretz anyway, but is is evident he was a Haley fan and was angry the man was fired.

I think the biggest mistake that Pioli has made in this organization to date is hiring Haley.
    I agree completely, including the biggest mistake made was hiring Haley in the first place. I've no doubt it is a huge regret on Pioli and Hunts part.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Have you ever met or interacted with Haley?
    Yes sir, I most certainly have. :)

Oh, and I have photo's to back up whomever I've met & interacted with related to the Chiefs franchise, including Haley, Pioli, Hunt, and Donovan. :)

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Perhaps being selective was a good idea. He got the perennial playoff team, with multiple recent Super Bowl appearances to hire him.

That has to be a highly coveted position, OC of The Pittsburgh Steelers.

I like The Steelers, and I hope he has a lot of success there.

But....

Even though I think he may have been done wrong by The Chiefs, I hope he fails as horribly as possible when that benefits The Chiefs.

There was never any doubt the Steelers would hire Haley as their OC, considering the ties Haley and his dad both have to the Steelers franchise. I'm happy for him, and wish him only the best, just not against the Chiefs, nor in his vendetta's against the Chiefs franchise, and ultimately it's innocent of wrong doing fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Just brought up an interesting concept about a HC leaving a successful team, and I realized that I have never heard of it happening in The NFL.

I mean, it would be a pretty rare thing anyway. But especially in The NFL, I would think.

In college, the notoriety of some schools could be a huge boost to a coaches career options, as far as opening doors to The NFL.

But, in The NFL, there is no higher league to aim for, and notoriety would play a far less significant role in such a decision.

When I saw that idea rolled out for Todd Haley, something in me instantly jumped back, as if the notion were completely far-fetched. I can't help but to be curious if that was just me, or if the notion is truly as unprecedented as it seems.

Look Pal....

Just help me find an example, or HUSH!!!!
    What about head coaches leaving NFL for College. I was watching Tosh.0 (show on comedy central with a comedian named Daniel Tosh), and he hates nick Saben(spelling?) because he's a Dolphin fan and Saben left the dolphins to go coach Alabama......I have no clue if this is an example you're looking for because i'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread hahaha