Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chiefs may draft a QB, Report say's

Default The Chiefs may draft a QB, Report say's

According to Eli Kaberon of Pro Football Weekly, the Kansas City Chiefs plan to bring Matt Cassel back as their starting QB in 2012 but also plan to draft a QB.
    However, the source stated that the Chiefs are expected to add a quarterback at some point during the offseason, likely in the draft. After Pioli saw the team crumble with Tyler Palko in the lineup, he would like a more reliable backup in case Cassel is hurt again. The team was hoping 2011 fifth-round pick Ricky Stanzi would be that player, but he hasn’t developed at the rate the team expected.
    Kaberon reports that QB Kyle Orton is unlikely to return in order to seek out a team where he will have a better chance of landing a starting gig.
    That is a bit of a contradiction to another report released today from Michael Lombardi of NFL.com.
    According to Lombardi, the Chiefs plan to try to re-sign Orton so that he can compete with Cassel in training camp for the starting role.
    Speaking of Orton, the Chiefs will make an effort to sign him this offseason and bring him back for another year to compete with starter Matt Cassel. And staying in K.C. might be the best option for Orton if he wants to be a starter.
    So which is it? Are the Chiefs going to role with Cassel/Orton or Cassel and a drafted QB to be named later?
    My guess is that there is some truth to both these reports. The Chiefs likely will try to re-sigh Orton while selling him a bill of goods that he has a chance to win the starting job. However, if a team with a more pathetic QB situation calls for Orton’s services, he probably will bolt. I’d say if Cassel is coming back he has a 60-40 edge to start over Orton. If Orton gets a better deal, he’s gone.
    If Orton won’t play ball and the Chiefs really are unhappy with Stanzi, then they will have to draft a QB. Unfortunately, if the plan is to draft a backup, that likely means the Chiefs won’t pursue a first-round QB. Both these reports seem to indicate that the Chiefs plan on going into 2012 with a veteran signal caller leading their offense, not a rookie first round pick.
    What say you, Addicts? How is this all going to go down?
    Tags: kansas city chiefs, kyle orton, matt cassel, Scott Pioli

Hopefully they learned there lesson with Stanzi about drafting QB's in the latter rounds. Seems like we don't have the coaches here to develop em. I'm hoping we resign Orton. If not, we need a proven QB with some experience as a starter to compete with Cassel. To show Cassel how it's done in my opinion.

I am so glad to see something the team has said about Stanzi not developing. I've been blasted several times, especially when I bring up the technical ability of Vandenberg vs Stanzi.
    I may be biased, took classes from V-berg's dad, we're from the same little old Keokuk lol but still, the coaches liked Stanzi, but that was it, he wasn't a "next level" player, and they have several signs Vberg should make the transition.
    I keep in his dad's ear to make sure he talks to KC about getting drafted LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    The Chiefs can't draft a QB! Think of what it would do to the "true fans"!
    I lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    i don't know who our qb will be, this will be the last year we do this game show (who wants to be the qb). If it isn't solidified this season be prepared for us to either get a big name next year or draft someone high

Thats why it would make sense to try and draft a legit protential starter in the 1st or second round, however the value will not be there in the first and the same is likely in the second, without us doing some trading and I just don't see pioli doing that this year with all the needs still out there. It would be good to draft a qb and let him backup and to develope into a starter. I have my doubts with Stanzi.

Cassel is used to being the starter and getting big pay checks and he will not easily give that up. so before being our backup I'm sure he would test the market, as he well should.

Well....First, let's assume that Palko is history.

That leaves us currently with Cassel, Orton and Stanzi.

I'd feel pretty good with keeping Orton and letting him and Cassel duke it out for the starting job.

If that doesn't happen, then we're left with Cassel and Stanzi.

If that winds up being the case, I'd rather see us bring in a FA with some experience than bring in another late round rookie QB. We already have one of those.

A trade up that allowed us to pick up a hot shot QB in the first round of the draft would be interesting but I'm inclined to think we would have to give up too much to get it and I would rather see us concentrating on the o-line rather than giving up a lot of draft choices to get a rookie QB.

All that said, I don't want to see us go into the season with just Cassel and Stanzi.

So my first choice is to keep Orton and my second choice would be to go looking for a FA QB or a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    Hopefully they learned there lesson with Stanzi about drafting QB's in the latter rounds. Seems like we don't have the coaches here to develop em. I'm hoping we resign Orton. If not, we need a proven QB with some experience as a starter to compete with Cassel. To show Cassel how it's done in my opinion.
    Will u please explain why stanzi is no good. He outplayed palko in the pre season. Besides a reporters opinion how do u know he ismt gonna cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Will u please explain why stanzi is no good. He outplayed palko in the pre season. Besides a reporters opinion how do u know he ismt gonna cut it.
    We'll never know because all this team cares about is Cassel.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
    I really don't see the Chiefs drafting another late round QB this year. The problem they had this year was No Experienced QB as a BU. I think they try for Orton, but we all really know what problems Orton can have the longer he plays. He's an Interception machine. He is a mediocre BU and we saw his best stuff for a couple of games. Maybe we get Flynn from GB...he would be a starter in no time. I do believe before Training Camp is over there will be a veteran BU in-place and it probably won't be Orton. We really need to fix our O-line...bad! I also believe they have to spend a pick on another RB. Charles will not be 100% when he returns and we know he is not an every down back. Can't wait to see what Pioli and RAC can do in the draft. I would love to see an agressive move up to get some real talent.
    I'm sorry but Flynn's going to Miami to follow Philbin.

The Dophins are in DIRE need of a starting QB, and with the numbers he put up in the couple of starts in Philbin/McCarthy system will see him want to land there.

Miami will be willing to pay him starting money, and they could then look to improve elsewhere in the draft, putting them in a good position to be competitive next year.

I think the biggest mistake Flynn could make, would be to go to a team that runs a different system then the Pack, It will make his transition that much easier, and allow him to come in, and know what's going on instead of having to learn a completely new system.

Mark my word....If Flynn heads to Miami next season he will be a Fantasy Machine... But if he goes elsewhere, I bet he flops.

The only way I see Flynn heading here would be if Clements comes on as our OC....Which I wouldn't mind

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    We had Stanzi on the roster all season. When Cassel went down, the coaches went with Palko over Stanzi. Then, they went out and picked up Orton when he came available.

One has to come to the realization that Stanzi, at least right now, is not good enough to beat out Cassel, not good enough to beat out Orton, and the most damning evidence of all, he could not beat out Palko.

That tells me that he is not ready for prime time. These coaches are people that work with these kids all day long, and they know what they can and cannot do. The fact some of you wish it to be true, does not make it true.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    We had Stanzi on the roster all season. When Cassel went down, the coaches went with Palko over Stanzi. Then, they went out and picked up Orton when he came available.

One has to come to the realization that Stanzi, at least right now, is not good enough to beat out Cassel, not good enough to beat out Orton, and the most damning evidence of all, he could not beat out Palko.

That tells me that he is not ready for prime time. These coaches are people that work with these kids all day long, and they know what they can and cannot do. The fact some of you wish it to be true, does not make it true.
    I'm holding my judgement on that I don't know much about Stanzi, also Rich Gannon couldn't beat Elvis Grbac and a lot of other guys out of a starting job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast