I think I agree with the 60-40 chance Cassel is the QB in 2012....
I really think it is more likely that Cassel is our starter this next season because:
1. He is viewed as a leader inside this locker room, and has gained trust and respect from the players around him in the locker room.
2. He is more familiar with this organization than Orton. And has shown he can be a good QB with a better mind at OC (2010)
3. He took this team to the playoffs in 2010, would have had a shot to do it again in 2011 if it weren't for his injury (despite some big downs this season)
4. Romeo Crennel believes Cassel can get us back to the playoffs. CRENNEL: “Matt Cassel has won here. I mean we’ve been to a playoff with Matt Cassel so I don’t think that Matt Cassel has fallen off of the wagon overnight. I think he’s a good talent, a good quarterback and he’s taken us to a playoff so I anticipate that he can do it again.”
5. Cassel is under contract.....Orton is not.
Our backup situation is something that I just don't know... I sometimes think Pioli will look to add a talented QB in rounds 2-5...But then I look at what happened this year and say. There's no way they go into next season without a veteran backup..Because if we were to have had an experienced backup, we would have been hosting the Bengals or Steelers in week 18.
I then look at Stanzi... are they really ready to give up on him? does it mean they have if they draft another QB.
The other possibility I look at, is having 4 QB's on the roster. Starter- Cassel, Backup- Veteran FA, 3rd String- Stanzi, Practice squad- Draft Choice
the only problem that presents is that we have to release the draft choice to re-sign him to the practice squad after training camp... may be a wasted pick if someone puts a waiver claim on him.