Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Chiefs may draft a QB, Report say's

Default The Chiefs may draft a QB, Report say's

According to Eli Kaberon of Pro Football Weekly, the Kansas City Chiefs plan to bring Matt Cassel back as their starting QB in 2012 but also plan to draft a QB.
    However, the source stated that the Chiefs are expected to add a quarterback at some point during the offseason, likely in the draft. After Pioli saw the team crumble with Tyler Palko in the lineup, he would like a more reliable backup in case Cassel is hurt again. The team was hoping 2011 fifth-round pick Ricky Stanzi would be that player, but he hasn’t developed at the rate the team expected.
    Kaberon reports that QB Kyle Orton is unlikely to return in order to seek out a team where he will have a better chance of landing a starting gig.
    That is a bit of a contradiction to another report released today from Michael Lombardi of NFL.com.
    According to Lombardi, the Chiefs plan to try to re-sign Orton so that he can compete with Cassel in training camp for the starting role.
    Speaking of Orton, the Chiefs will make an effort to sign him this offseason and bring him back for another year to compete with starter Matt Cassel. And staying in K.C. might be the best option for Orton if he wants to be a starter.
    So which is it? Are the Chiefs going to role with Cassel/Orton or Cassel and a drafted QB to be named later?
    My guess is that there is some truth to both these reports. The Chiefs likely will try to re-sigh Orton while selling him a bill of goods that he has a chance to win the starting job. However, if a team with a more pathetic QB situation calls for Orton’s services, he probably will bolt. I’d say if Cassel is coming back he has a 60-40 edge to start over Orton. If Orton gets a better deal, he’s gone.
    If Orton won’t play ball and the Chiefs really are unhappy with Stanzi, then they will have to draft a QB. Unfortunately, if the plan is to draft a backup, that likely means the Chiefs won’t pursue a first-round QB. Both these reports seem to indicate that the Chiefs plan on going into 2012 with a veteran signal caller leading their offense, not a rookie first round pick.
    What say you, Addicts? How is this all going to go down?
    Tags: kansas city chiefs, kyle orton, matt cassel, Scott Pioli

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    We had Stanzi on the roster all season. When Cassel went down, the coaches went with Palko over Stanzi. Then, they went out and picked up Orton when he came available.

One has to come to the realization that Stanzi, at least right now, is not good enough to beat out Cassel, not good enough to beat out Orton, and the most damning evidence of all, he could not beat out Palko.

That tells me that he is not ready for prime time. These coaches are people that work with these kids all day long, and they know what they can and cannot do. The fact some of you wish it to be true, does not make it true.
    If Stanzi couldn't even beat out Palko, it's probably time for him to go...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Last 3 games of the season he was the backup QB. Palko, third. If Orton weren't healthy enough to play GB, Stanzi would start that.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Cool Ricki Stanzi

I heard several times throughout the year that Stanzi was slowly being brought along, that he was not even given the entire play book, and that he was not even expected to play until his third year. It was said that even though he may give the Chiefs a better chance than Palko, they didn't want to play him before he was ready and just throw the plans they had for him out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Concerns View Post
    I heard several times throughout the year that Stanzi was slowly being brought along, that he was not even given the entire play book, and that he was not even expected to play until his third year. It was said that even though he may give the Chiefs a better chance than Palko, they didn't want to play him before he was ready and just throw the plans they had for him out the window.

Makes sense that's what people typically do with young qb's but Palko played so bad I'm surprised we didn't give him a try unless the rumors about Haley not starting him because he was sticking it to the man are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I can understand that...But it raises a question...

WHO is the one is approving these guys for our draft?

Just sayin....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123