Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chiefs may draft a QB, Report say's

Default The Chiefs may draft a QB, Report say's

According to Eli Kaberon of Pro Football Weekly, the Kansas City Chiefs plan to bring Matt Cassel back as their starting QB in 2012 but also plan to draft a QB.
    However, the source stated that the Chiefs are expected to add a quarterback at some point during the offseason, likely in the draft. After Pioli saw the team crumble with Tyler Palko in the lineup, he would like a more reliable backup in case Cassel is hurt again. The team was hoping 2011 fifth-round pick Ricky Stanzi would be that player, but he hasn’t developed at the rate the team expected.
    Kaberon reports that QB Kyle Orton is unlikely to return in order to seek out a team where he will have a better chance of landing a starting gig.
    That is a bit of a contradiction to another report released today from Michael Lombardi of NFL.com.
    According to Lombardi, the Chiefs plan to try to re-sign Orton so that he can compete with Cassel in training camp for the starting role.
    Speaking of Orton, the Chiefs will make an effort to sign him this offseason and bring him back for another year to compete with starter Matt Cassel. And staying in K.C. might be the best option for Orton if he wants to be a starter.
    So which is it? Are the Chiefs going to role with Cassel/Orton or Cassel and a drafted QB to be named later?
    My guess is that there is some truth to both these reports. The Chiefs likely will try to re-sigh Orton while selling him a bill of goods that he has a chance to win the starting job. However, if a team with a more pathetic QB situation calls for Orton’s services, he probably will bolt. I’d say if Cassel is coming back he has a 60-40 edge to start over Orton. If Orton gets a better deal, he’s gone.
    If Orton won’t play ball and the Chiefs really are unhappy with Stanzi, then they will have to draft a QB. Unfortunately, if the plan is to draft a backup, that likely means the Chiefs won’t pursue a first-round QB. Both these reports seem to indicate that the Chiefs plan on going into 2012 with a veteran signal caller leading their offense, not a rookie first round pick.
    What say you, Addicts? How is this all going to go down?
    Tags: kansas city chiefs, kyle orton, matt cassel, Scott Pioli

I think I agree with the 60-40 chance Cassel is the QB in 2012....

I really think it is more likely that Cassel is our starter this next season because:

1. He is viewed as a leader inside this locker room, and has gained trust and respect from the players around him in the locker room.

2. He is more familiar with this organization than Orton. And has shown he can be a good QB with a better mind at OC (2010)

3. He took this team to the playoffs in 2010, would have had a shot to do it again in 2011 if it weren't for his injury (despite some big downs this season)

4. Romeo Crennel believes Cassel can get us back to the playoffs. CRENNEL: “Matt Cassel has won here. I mean we’ve been to a playoff with Matt Cassel so I don’t think that Matt Cassel has fallen off of the wagon overnight. I think he’s a good talent, a good quarterback and he’s taken us to a playoff so I anticipate that he can do it again.”

5. Cassel is under contract.....Orton is not.

Our backup situation is something that I just don't know... I sometimes think Pioli will look to add a talented QB in rounds 2-5...But then I look at what happened this year and say. There's no way they go into next season without a veteran backup..Because if we were to have had an experienced backup, we would have been hosting the Bengals or Steelers in week 18.

I then look at Stanzi... are they really ready to give up on him? does it mean they have if they draft another QB.

The other possibility I look at, is having 4 QB's on the roster. Starter- Cassel, Backup- Veteran FA, 3rd String- Stanzi, Practice squad- Draft Choice

the only problem that presents is that we have to release the draft choice to re-sign him to the practice squad after training camp... may be a wasted pick if someone puts a waiver claim on him.

If you have 2 quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If you have 2 quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks.
    Not too sure I get that comment, kinda slow today. My guess if they do indeed draft another QB, Stanzi will be the one cut and sent to the practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Not too sure I get that comment, kinda slow today. My guess if they do indeed draft another QB, Stanzi will be the one cut and sent to the practice squad.
    It's just an old saying that implies if you don't have a clear cut starting QB, you probably don't have any "good" starting quarterbacks. Changing QBs tends to disrupt the offense and struggle to get in a rhythm.

Aaahhhhh, so so true!

Default Chiefs QB 2012 Issues

I really don't see the Chiefs drafting another late round QB this year. The problem they had this year was No Experienced QB as a BU. I think they try for Orton, but we all really know what problems Orton can have the longer he plays. He's an Interception machine. He is a mediocre BU and we saw his best stuff for a couple of games. Maybe we get Flynn from GB...he would be a starter in no time. I do believe before Training Camp is over there will be a veteran BU in-place and it probably won't be Orton. We really need to fix our O-line...bad! I also believe they have to spend a pick on another RB. Charles will not be 100% when he returns and we know he is not an every down back. Can't wait to see what Pioli and RAC can do in the draft. I would love to see an agressive move up to get some real talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
    I really don't see the Chiefs drafting another late round QB this year. The problem they had this year was No Experienced QB as a BU. I think they try for Orton, but we all really know what problems Orton can have the longer he plays. He's an Interception machine. He is a mediocre BU and we saw his best stuff for a couple of games. Maybe we get Flynn from GB...he would be a starter in no time. I do believe before Training Camp is over there will be a veteran BU in-place and it probably won't be Orton. We really need to fix our O-line...bad! I also believe they have to spend a pick on another RB. Charles will not be 100% when he returns and we know he is not an every down back. Can't wait to see what Pioli and RAC can do in the draft. I would love to see an agressive move up to get some real talent.
    Sorry, really Flynn again? He is like Cassel was when he came here, except Flynn has not started a complete season.

We will not be bringing Flynn in here, if we go after a veteran, it will be someone like (but not) McNabb or something like that, perhaps Campbell.

I think we do draft a QB, and I think we draft one pretty high. Cassel is a free agent next year and unless he comes out and proves he has what it takes, he will become a backup

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

The Chiefs can't draft a QB! Think of what it would do to the "true fans"!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

i don't know who our qb will be, this will be the last year we do this game show (who wants to be the qb). If it isn't solidified this season be prepared for us to either get a big name next year or draft someone high

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast