Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Matt Cassel a franchise QB?

Default Is Matt Cassel a franchise QB?

AUTHOR: Patrick Allen of the Arrowhead Addict. Please read it is rather interesting and as many know I am not a big Cassel Fan but who knows...

Is Matt Cassel a franchise QB?
    Ask ten Chiefs fans what they think about Matt Cassel and you will probably get ten different answers. There are sure to be some who think he will still continue to improve and, if given the time, will become good enough to lead a well rounded Chiefs team to a championship. Others will say that we’ve seen enough to know that Cassel is average at best and will never lead the Chiefs to a playoff victory, let alone the Super Bowl.
    Those in the group that believe Cassel isn’t good enough often point to the likes of Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers as evidence that to win it all, a team needs a stud QB. A difference maker.
    Those in the group that believe that Cassel is good enough, might find a dog in that franchise QB fight in San Francisco QB Alex Smith.
    To be fair, Alex Smith was drafted to be a franchise QB. He was taken first in the 2005 draft. His career, until this season, has been a major disappointment. Still, he was drafted and developed by the 49ers, where Matt Cassel was a 7th round pick drafted by the Patriots.
    Other than where they were taken, however, Cassel and Smith are somewhat similar in their age and performance. To date, Smith has played in 70 NFL games. Cassel has played in 69. Cassel’s career completion percentage is 59%; Smith’s is 58. Cassel’s average completion is 6.62 and Smith’s is 6.40. Cassel’s tossed 76 TD’s and 45 picks and Smith’s tossed 68 TD’s and 58 picks. Cassel enjoys a career QB rating of 82.5 while Smith’s is 76.4. Cassel is 29 years old, Smith is 27.
    Until this season, Smith was thought to be a bust. But the arrival of a new coach in San Francisco seemed to turn things around for him. He’s having a career year. His numbers aren’t jaw dropping but they are certainly efficient. In the regular season, Smith completed 61.3% of his passes for 3,144 for an average of over seven yards per completion. He threw 17 TD’s vs. five interceptions and had a QB rating of 90.7.
    In last week’s divisional playoff game vs. the New Orleans Saints, Smith completed 57% of his passes for 299 yards, three TD’s and no interceptions. He finished with a QB rating of 103.2 and anyone who watched that game can tell you that, in the 4th quarter, Smith outdueled Drew Brees to help his team win the game.
    In fact, Smith’s 2011 regular season is very similar to Matt Cassel’s 2010 season. Cassel completed 58% of his passes in 2010 for 3,116 yards and a 6.92 yards per completion average. He tossed 27 TD’s vs. 7 picks and finished with a QB rating of 93.0.
    Both Smith and Cassel benefited from strong running games and weak divisions. Both got some help from strong defense, Smith more so than Cassel.
    This weekend, Alex Smith and the 49ers will play for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.
    Should this give us hope for Matt Cassel? After all, I think most Chiefs fans would agree that next year’s KC defense should be stronger than ever, and perhaps even dominate. The return of Jamaal Charles and Tony Moeaki should help get the offense back on track. There will be a new draft class as well as (hopefully) a new crop of free agents. I would go so far as to say that Matt Cassel’s 2012 receiving options will be better than what Alex Smith is working with in 2011.
    Is Alex Smith proof that the doubter might need to reevaluate Matt Cassel? If Alex Smith keeps winning, does that mean that Matt Cassel can follow in his footsteps?
    Cassel and Smith are different QB’s. There are also things that a QB does that might not necessarily show up on the stat sheet. Still, Smith’s success has to give Chiefs fans at least a little bit of hope.
    And since it looks like Matt Cassel will be the starter in KC in 2012, a little bit of hope might not be a bad thing.

I think it's a fair comparison, but I'd place Cassel higher because of his ability to not to turn the ball over. Also, Smith is a competent QB who does well in a good team and will match the offenses ability. Cassel also does best with a complementing team around him, but he will make a good team better, while Smith will simply match the team around him. Cassel is not an elite QB, but he is a good QB and will rarely be the reason a team loses. I am comfortable with Matt Cassel as our starting and QBOTF. Now, if we could get a great QB that will single-handily grab the offense and carry them to victory, I wouldn't be opposed to make the change. But I really like Matt Cassel.

I don't know the answer to that yet. Matt Cassel has put up some good numbers and looked like he could be a Franchise Qb at times. And looked like he can't lead an NFL offense at other times. A lot have gone into that. All the changes that have been made going into just about every season. Losing a number of the talent around him due to injuries this past season. I have not lost faith in Cassel yet. I have not gained much faith in him since the day he arrived. I just don't no about him. I just want him to have someone to make him fight for the job in training camp this year. I think that would be good for the team
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    AUTHOR: Patrick Allen of the Arrowhead Addict. Please read it is rather interesting and as many know I am not a big Cassel Fan but who knows...

Is Matt Cassel a franchise QB?
    Ask ten Chiefs fans what they think about Matt Cassel and you will probably get ten different answers. There are sure to be some who think he will still continue to improve and, if given the time, will become good enough to lead a well rounded Chiefs team to a championship. Others will say that we’ve seen enough to know that Cassel is average at best and will never lead the Chiefs to a playoff victory, let alone the Super Bowl.
    Those in the group that believe Cassel isn’t good enough often point to the likes of Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers as evidence that to win it all, a team needs a stud QB. A difference maker.
    Those in the group that believe that Cassel is good enough, might find a dog in that franchise QB fight in San Francisco QB Alex Smith.
    To be fair, Alex Smith was drafted to be a franchise QB. He was taken first in the 2005 draft. His career, until this season, has been a major disappointment. Still, he was drafted and developed by the 49ers, where Matt Cassel was a 7th round pick drafted by the Patriots.
    Other than where they were taken, however, Cassel and Smith are somewhat similar in their age and performance. To date, Smith has played in 70 NFL games. Cassel has played in 69. Cassel’s career completion percentage is 59%; Smith’s is 58. Cassel’s average completion is 6.62 and Smith’s is 6.40. Cassel’s tossed 76 TD’s and 45 picks and Smith’s tossed 68 TD’s and 58 picks. Cassel enjoys a career QB rating of 82.5 while Smith’s is 76.4. Cassel is 29 years old, Smith is 27.
    Until this season, Smith was thought to be a bust. But the arrival of a new coach in San Francisco seemed to turn things around for him. He’s having a career year. His numbers aren’t jaw dropping but they are certainly efficient. In the regular season, Smith completed 61.3% of his passes for 3,144 for an average of over seven yards per completion. He threw 17 TD’s vs. five interceptions and had a QB rating of 90.7.
    In last week’s divisional playoff game vs. the New Orleans Saints, Smith completed 57% of his passes for 299 yards, three TD’s and no interceptions. He finished with a QB rating of 103.2 and anyone who watched that game can tell you that, in the 4th quarter, Smith outdueled Drew Brees to help his team win the game.
    In fact, Smith’s 2011 regular season is very similar to Matt Cassel’s 2010 season. Cassel completed 58% of his passes in 2010 for 3,116 yards and a 6.92 yards per completion average. He tossed 27 TD’s vs. 7 picks and finished with a QB rating of 93.0.
    Both Smith and Cassel benefited from strong running games and weak divisions. Both got some help from strong defense, Smith more so than Cassel.
    This weekend, Alex Smith and the 49ers will play for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.
    Should this give us hope for Matt Cassel? After all, I think most Chiefs fans would agree that next year’s KC defense should be stronger than ever, and perhaps even dominate. The return of Jamaal Charles and Tony Moeaki should help get the offense back on track. There will be a new draft class as well as (hopefully) a new crop of free agents. I would go so far as to say that Matt Cassel’s 2012 receiving options will be better than what Alex Smith is working with in 2011.
    Is Alex Smith proof that the doubter might need to reevaluate Matt Cassel? If Alex Smith keeps winning, does that mean that Matt Cassel can follow in his footsteps?
    Cassel and Smith are different QB’s. There are also things that a QB does that might not necessarily show up on the stat sheet. Still, Smith’s success has to give Chiefs fans at least a little bit of hope.
    And since it looks like Matt Cassel will be the starter in KC in 2012, a little bit of hope might not be a bad thing.
    I'm really torn on Cassel. On one hand he has the grit, determination, and leadership skills. On the other hand he holds onto the ball too long, looking like he is indecisive in the pocket at times.

His comparison to Alex Smith has to go along with he fact that both of them have had different OC's in each of their starting seasons. Smith has had 7 different OC's and Cassel has had 3, fixing to have his 4th.

IMHO it is the fact that Harbaugh (you remember when he beat us in the playoffs in '96(95 season)? a certain kicker whose name shall not be mentioned was part of it) is a former NFL QB that has Smith looking good this year. The whole team for that matter.

Under Weis, Cassel had a good year, not so this year, but he did lose starters to be fair. When Orton came in and stared to move the ball everyone got excited (myself included) and immediately started to call for Cassel's head. To be fair again, Haley was gone. I would not mind to see them(Cassel and Orton) duel it out.

With the right guy in the OC postion, and the weapons he has at his disposal and Haley now gone (obvious problems going on there)I'd have to say yes, Cassel is a starter. I'm willing to give him another chance sans Haley and a good OC.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    I'm really torn on Cassel. On one hand he has the grit, determination, and leadership skills. On the other hand he holds onto the ball too long, looking like he is indecisive in the pocket at times.

His comparison to Alex Smith has to go along with he fact that both of them have had different OC's in each of their starting seasons. Smith has had 7 different OC's and Cassel has had 3, fixing to have his 4th.

IMHO it is the fact that Harbaugh (you remember when he beat us in the playoffs in '96(95 season)? a certain kicker whose name shall not be mentioned was part of it) is a former NFL QB that has Smith looking good this year. The whole team for that matter.

Under Weis, Cassel had a good year, not so this year, but he did lose starters to be fair. When Orton came in and stared to move the ball everyone got excited (myself included) and immediately started to call for Cassel's head. To be fair again, Haley was gone. I would not mind to see them(Cassel and Orton) duel it out.

With the right guy in the OC postion, and the weapons he has at his disposal and Haley now gone (obvious problems going on there)I'd have to say yes, Cassel is a starter. I'm willing to give him another chance sans Haley and a good OC.

I think that is the key here. Under Weiss Cassel had a good year. So if in fact we do get a solid, legit OC Cassels game could improve. As I said, I'm not the biggest Cassel fan but given the odd's that Orton will not return and Cassel will be our started in 2012 I feel he could do well under the right offense coach. I want Cassel to do well. QBOTF, yea not sold there yet but if he can improve I would be happy. I want to see the Cassel we got from NE.....

Short answer?

No.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I think he is. He's not Tebow, Palko, Henne, Freeman, Grossman............... on down the line. He is better than them.

Our biggest issue is lack of O depth, and general depth. If you can't keep a QB upright and throwing, they won't win you anything. Put any quarterback on the ground 10 or more times a game, he's going to lose, and get hurt.

That line needs help, fast.

Did he forget what he did in NE before coming here? Surely not. I am in no way saying the guy is Brees, Rodgers, he's not a top 5 guy, but he's above average, and has been behind a subpar OL, had a terrible ego maniac coach, too many things going on to blame just Matt for bad offense.
    Now, the end of this year, if nothing has changed, and we're lopsided with a good D and no points, then I will jump to the front of the pitchfork weilding mob.. I honestly think the guy is not a bad QB, he's in a bad situation

Nope. I'll say it again. Would much rather work with Orton then Cassel as our starting QB. Cassel makes our o-line look worse then it is.

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    Nope, not even close. Guy has beaten 1 playoff bound team in 3 seasons (seahawks in 10) and has atrocious numbers against solid/good/great teams.
    Well we could at least try to be a little positive seeing the odd's are in his favor to start. You sound as if we should just trash the whole F ing season if Cassel starts. I could say more but it's like talking to my dog, he just tweeks his head and stares at me. I hope for the best and when we don't really have a choice in the matter I try to be hopeful.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast