Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Branden Albert Continuing to Improve

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 22

    Default Branden Albert Continuing to Improve


    0 Not allowed!
    "Chiefs running backs averaged 5.61 yards per carry to the left side of the offensive line compared to 3.25 going right and 3.02 up the middle. In other words, Chiefs backs had their greatest success behind LT Brandon Albert, who also graded out well as a pass protector in Pro Football Focus' ratings. First-year starting RG Jon Asamoah excelled as a pass-blocker, but has room to grow in the run game. The Chiefs figure to look for an upgrade on Barry Richardson at right tackle."

    Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4805/branden-albert
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  2. #11
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,246
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I didn't say they showed favoritism to any player.

    I think that their methods of compiling stats is too friendly.

    They do not include an OT being shoved into the QB's space as anything, and that has been where our pass protection has been weakest.

    Pass protection is about time, and space, allowed to your passer.

    And, during the first half of the season (Always half of a season) our pass protectors were terrible at holding their ground, and allowing our passer anywhere to step up to throw the ball.

    But then, if you were to approach this with any form of civility, then you wouldn't have so much fun with the childish sarcastic display, would you?

    There is a reason why The NFL does not keep statistics for O-linemen. Because all of those statistics are based on opinion.

    Who allowed the "pressure", the OT, or the OG? Was it a stunt? Which player is responsible for the blitzer? Was the OT supposed to "hand-off" the inside man to the OG, and the OG was not paying attention?

    is a False Start penalty rated differently if it is on the first play of the game, than if it were 4th &1 with :25 left in the game?

    PFF's opinion of pass protection stats is no better than Joe Schmoe's.

    I re-watch every game with emphasis on O-line play. Chiefs' and opponents'. And, while Albert is not bad, he is not good.
    You know the QB is supposed to help out the O-line with shifts and what not right? I can give that a break due to the amount of time it took the coaches to get the play in, but don't just go blaming the O-line for every little thing.

    You say PFF is friendly to the O-line, but they sure weren't friendly to Richardson.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

  3. #12
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think that their methods of compiling stats is too friendly.

    They do not include an OT being shoved into the QB's space as anything, and that has been where our pass protection has been weakest.


    You have no way of knowing if this statement is true or not. For all we know, it could count as a "pressure".

    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    And, during the first half of the season (Always half of a season) our pass protectors were terrible at holding their ground, and allowing our passer anywhere to step up to throw the ball.
    And 4 of Albert's 5 sacks came in the first half of the season. We could also bring into argument how below average Cassel's pocket presence is, but we won't go there for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    There is a reason why The NFL does not keep statistics for O-linemen. Because all of those statistics are based on opinion.

    Who allowed the "pressure", the OT, or the OG? Was it a stunt? Which player is responsible for the blitzer? Was the OT supposed to "hand-off" the inside man to the OG, and the OG was not paying attention?

    is a False Start penalty rated differently if it is on the first play of the game, than if it were 4th &1 with :25 left in the game?

    PFF's opinion of pass protection stats is no better than Joe Schmoe's.

    I re-watch every game with emphasis on O-line play. Chiefs' and opponents'. And, while Albert is not bad, he is not good.
    Regarding your false start question, this is from their "How We Grade" section:

    "The grading takes into account many things and effectively brings “intelligence” to raw statistics.

    For example, a raw stat might tell you a tackle conceded a sack. However, how long did he protect the QB for before he gave it up? Additionally, when did he give it up? If it was within the last two minutes on a potentially game-tying drive, it may be rather more important than when his team is running out the clock in a 30-point blowout."
    Source: http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

    You can choose to ignore the PFF information, it really doesn't matter to me. But when you have some metrics aimed at grading players, and apply those same metrics to every player in the league, I don't think it is just a coincidence that Albert is near the top.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  4. #13
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You have no way of knowing if this statement is true or not. For all we know, it could count as a "pressure".
    Oh, it may. But how many inches from the QB counts? Didn't show up in the "How We Grade" section?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    And 4 of Albert's 5 sacks came in the first half of the season. We could also bring into argument how below average Cassel's pocket presence is, but we won't go there for now.
    Or we could see the obvious trend of Albert's to do well for half of every season, and possibly even include the known tendancy of O-lines to improve with time together.

    But, it is just easier to lean everything toward the Pro-Bowler at QB instead.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Regarding your false start question, this is from their "How We Grade" section:

    "The grading takes into account many things and effectively brings “intelligence” to raw statistics.

    For example, a raw stat might tell you a tackle conceded a sack. However, how long did he protect the QB for before he gave it up? Additionally, when did he give it up? If it was within the last two minutes on a potentially game-tying drive, it may be rather more important than when his team is running out the clock in a 30-point blowout."
    Source: Grading | ProFootballFocus.com
    And that is, again, all about the opinion of those producing the numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You can choose to ignore the PFF information, it really doesn't matter to me. But when you have some metrics aimed at grading players, and apply those same metrics to every player in the league, I don't think it is just a coincidence that Albert is near the top.
    Just because they have chosen to rate some things higher/lower than others does not, in any way, make their ratings any less opinionated than any other.

    And, as stated above, that is why The NFL does not monkey with these statistics, because they include opinion, whereas a TD pass is official. All opinions are left out of it.

    Judging O-line play is all about opinion, and the results of the offense, as a whole. The offense, as a whole, was poor, and what I have seen of Albert is the same as every season, where he has done poorly for half of a season, and good for half of a season.
    Last edited by chief31; 01-22-2012 at 12:05 AM.

  5. #14
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lewisville, TX (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,192
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Just because they have chosen to rate some things higher/lower than others does not, in any way, make their ratings any less opinionated than any other.

    And, as stated above, that is why The NFL does not monkey with these statistics, because they include opinion, whereas a TD pass is official. All opinions are left out of it.

    Judging O-line play is all about opinion, and the results of the offense, as a whole. The offense, as a whole, was poor, and what I have seen of Albert is the same as every season, where he has done poorly for half of a season, and good for half of a season.
    And I know better than these professional writers that came up with this and they are just favoring him because they have a man crush on him.

    Besides I say he is no good so that means he is no good end of story.

  6. #15
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Oh, it may. But how many inches from the QB counts? Didn't show up in the "How We Grade" section?
    Less inches than 27 other left tackles in the league.

    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Or we could see the obvious trend of Albert's to do well for half of every season, and possibly even include the known tendancy of O-lines to improve with time together.

    But, it is just easier to lean everything toward the Pro-Bowler at QB instead.
    Pro-Bowler is an easy argument to make...pro-bowl alternate is is what he really was. If Cassel would have played the second half of the season this year, and put up the numbers he did last season in those last 8 games, he wouldn't have come close to making the pro-bowl.

    You think it's magical how the offensive line looked much better once Palko came in? It's not.

    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    And that is, again, all about the opinion of those producing the numbers.

    Just because they have chosen to rate some things higher/lower than others does not, in any way, make their ratings any less opinionated than any other.

    And, as stated above, that is why The NFL does not monkey with these statistics, because they include opinion, whereas a TD pass is official. All opinions are left out of it.

    Judging O-line play is all about opinion, and the results of the offense, as a whole. The offense, as a whole, was poor, and what I have seen of Albert is the same as every season, where he has done poorly for half of a season, and good for half of a season.
    And in your opinion, it's that they were much easier on the grading for Albert, than they were for the other 31 left tackles in the league.

    The question stands, would you be happier with an oft-injured, more poorly graded Okung...or Branden Albert, who has gotten significantly better with every passing season?

    Since you watched every game and graded the O-line play, can you point to the specific games where Albert looked bad in the last half of the season? Is he Willie Roaf? Hell no, that guy is a future hall of famer. But noting that he only gave up 1 sack in the last 8 games, I really want to know why he shouldn't be our LT. Because he was a guard in college? Convenient argument. Did you watch the Chicago game where he made Julius Peppers a non-factor?

    I can point to plenty of tackles that have failed and been moved to interior line positions. I think you're reaching now, instead of giving Branden his well deserved respect.

    The convenient argument is to discount the people grading EVERY LEFT TACKLE IN THE LEAGUE. How many sacks did you have Albert accounted for when you graded him?
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 01-22-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  7. #16
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    And I know better than these professional writers that came up with this and they are just favoring him because they have a man crush on him.

    Besides I say he is no good so that means he is no good end of story.
    You just summed up chief31's argument in far less words than I could.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  8. #17
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    And I know better than these professional writers that came up with this and they are just favoring him because they have a man crush on him.

    Besides I say he is no good so that means he is no good end of story.
    Lighten up.

    Their statistics are directly effected by opinion of what actually makes up the final numbers.

    I did not say that they are favoring anybody. So pretending like I did is just foolish.

    I discount their statistics as being opinion-based, because they are.

    I don't put a whole lot of stock in a writer's opinion about football.

    Now, it's not that I think that Albert is bad, because I don't. I simply think that he is inconsistent enough that, with our need at ROT, we should look for a draft pick to hopefully out-perform him at LOT, leaving us with a likely top-notch ROT should he fail to beat out Albert.

    But I understand how fun it is to fling out sarcasm at an opinion that doesn't exist, isn't it?

  9. #18
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You just summed up chief31's argument in far less words than I could.
    No he didn't.

    I never said they were favoring any player. I said that their method is favorable to certain instances, and that they are based on opinion, not fact.

  10. #19
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    No he didn't.

    I never said they were favoring any player. I said that their method is favorable to certain instances, and that they are based on opinion, not fact.
    Their method didn't favor him in 2010, or 2009, or 2008 though. I guess he caught a lucky break this year to be graded out better than 27 other left tackles in the league. Lucky Branden.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  11. #20
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Their method didn't favor him in 2010, or 2009, or 2008 though. I guess he caught a lucky break this year to be graded out better than 27 other left tackles in the league. Lucky Branden.
    I would almost bet that they make changes to their statistical evaluations every year or so too.

    There are so many variables, that it would be an almost never-ending venture to try and perfect the system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Branden Albert - Getting Better with Age
    By Ryfo18 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 12:43 AM
  2. Branden Albert and Leonard Pope Bowling Event
    By BAtheman in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM
  3. Sacks Given Up by Left Tackles (Branden Albert)
    By yashi in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-19-2009, 10:50 PM
  4. Branden Albert Injured?
    By texaschief in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
  5. Branden Albert Is A Great Pick!
    By derrickjohnsontribute in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •