Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Branden Albert Continuing to Improve

Default Branden Albert Continuing to Improve

"Chiefs running backs averaged 5.61 yards per carry to the left side of the offensive line compared to 3.25 going right and 3.02 up the middle. In other words, Chiefs backs had their greatest success behind LT Brandon Albert, who also graded out well as a pass protector in Pro Football Focus' ratings. First-year starting RG Jon Asamoah excelled as a pass-blocker, but has room to grow in the run game. The Chiefs figure to look for an upgrade on Barry Richardson at right tackle."

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4805/branden-albert

I think people have finally come to their senses about albert. The past few offseasons this forum has been littered with posts about replacing him. I think we can safely say he's the last person that should be replaced

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    I think people have finally come to their senses about albert. The past few offseasons this forum has been littered with posts about replacing him. I think we can safely say he's the last person that should be replaced
    Meh he's still a guard playing tackle he's not bad but he gets pummeled against the big boys

Branden Albert we need to keep!

Albert is definately still underated and misunderstood. He has played his position very well, but as long as Cassel is the qb people here will continue to blame the LT. With a very good QB, Albert would get the credit he deserves.

Even Orton, bad as he is known to be, makes the OL look a whole heck of a lot better. But I'm smart enough to know he is not the answer.

Sad but true.

I'm not a Cassel fan , but I'm certain he will be the starter in 2012. We know we can and will win games if we have a strong run game. I'm ok with that because I don't see a better option on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    Nah. He is the same as he has always been. Good for a stretch, and bad for a stretch.

Excellent run-blocker, but sub-par in pass protection.

PFF is far too friendly to him.

Nobody has wanted Albert to be successful more than me. But he is still not a good LOT.

I've stuck by albert yea i envy jake long, miss willie roaf but alberts playin good football, if hudson and asamoah keep looking like locks with lilja has atleast two years left in him here. WE NEED A RT bye bye richardson

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Nah. He is the same as he has always been. Good for a stretch, and bad for a stretch.

Excellent run-blocker, but sub-par in pass protection.

PFF is far too friendly to him.

Nobody has wanted Albert to be successful more than me. But he is still not a good LOT.
    Why would they pick Albert, of all people, to be friendly to? They evaluate every LT in the league, and just decide to give friendly grades to him?

Everyone thought Okung would be our solution at LT. His pass protection stats:

Sacks: 5
    Hits: 3
    Pressures: 24

Albert in pass protection:

Hits: 6
    Pressures: 13

Oh, and Okung only played 12 games (799 snaps for Okung, 1071 for Albert). My question is, would everyone be so critical of Okung had he come in and been our LT? I doubt it, but statistically, he is worse than Branden Albert. AND, he's nowhere near the run blocker that Albert is. Our LT position is fine.

Finally, here are the only LT's that graded out better than Albert in pass protection:

1.) Joe Thomas (CLE)
    2.) Andrew Whitworth (CIN)
    3.) Jason Peters (PHI)
    4.) Duane Brown (HOU)

But you're right, I'm sure PFF chooses to inflate Albert's grades, just because.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 01-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Why would they pick Albert, of all people, to be friendly to? They evaluate every LT in the league, and just decide to give friendly grades to him?

Oh, and Okung only played 12 games (799 snaps for Okung, 1071 for Albert). My question is, would everyone be so critical of Okung had he come in and been our LT? I doubt it, but statistically, he is worse than Branden Albert. AND, he's nowhere near the run blocker that Albert is. Our LT position is fine.

Finally, here are the only LT's that graded out better than Albert in pass protection:

1.) Joe Thomas (CLE)
    3.) Jason Peters (PHI)
    4.) Duane Brown (HOU)

But you're right, I'm sure PFF chooses to inflate Albert's grades, just because.
    That can't be right! Supposedly, Matt Cassel has taken a terrible team to a new level. No way is it that there's actually talent on this team despite the QB!

People that keep saying Matt Cassel is the sole reason for the team's improvement is ridiculous. The reason for improvement is a talented young defense, a finesse run-blocking O-line, and Jamaal Charles. Cassel is simply a benefactor.

If he put the stats in 2009 up that he did in 2010, then I'd revise my tune a bit.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

1.) Joe Thomas (CLE)
    3.) Jason Peters (PHI)
    4.) Duane Brown (HOU)

I didn't say they showed favoritism to any player.

I think that their methods of compiling stats is too friendly.

They do not include an OT being shoved into the QB's space as anything, and that has been where our pass protection has been weakest.

Pass protection is about time, and space, allowed to your passer.

And, during the first half of the season (Always half of a season) our pass protectors were terrible at holding their ground, and allowing our passer anywhere to step up to throw the ball.

But then, if you were to approach this with any form of civility, then you wouldn't have so much fun with the childish sarcastic display, would you?

There is a reason why The NFL does not keep statistics for O-linemen. Because all of those statistics are based on opinion.

Who allowed the "pressure", the OT, or the OG? Was it a stunt? Which player is responsible for the blitzer? Was the OT supposed to "hand-off" the inside man to the OG, and the OG was not paying attention?

is a False Start penalty rated differently if it is on the first play of the game, than if it were 4th &1 with :25 left in the game?

PFF's opinion of pass protection stats is no better than Joe Schmoe's.

I re-watch every game with emphasis on O-line play. Chiefs' and opponents'. And, while Albert is not bad, he is not good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast