Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cassel will be starter heading into training camp

Default Cassel will be starter heading into training camp

While it doesn't eliminate the possibility of him having competition, I think we're probably looking at Matt Cassel being the starter next year.

"According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Matt Cassel will "for sure" be the Chiefs' starting quarterback heading into training camp.

Schefter's assertion comes two weeks after new coach Romeo Crennel backed Cassel at his introductory press conference. Schefter's comments leave the door open for the Chiefs to add competition, but the feeling among organization higher-ups is that Cassel can still be a success. Free agent Kyle Orton has hinted he won't be back after leading the Chiefs to a 2-1 record down the stretch. "

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3237/matt-cassel

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    I think Brady Quinn would be my pick of this group.
    Ya know I started looking at it.... and Quinn has never really gotten his shot, or had a coach or organization that stuck with him....Crennel Drafted him but after he was let go, the new coaching staff never game him much of a shot either.

His rookie season he held out of training camp causing him to miss 10 days of camp...Because of the holdout Quinn had some catchup to do and was listed as 3rd on the depth chart.

Week 1 Charlie Frye was the starter and the Browns got their butt whipped by the Steelers 34-7, Frye was then traded away to the Seahawks elevating Derek Anderson into the starting role, and Quinn to 2nd string. This was the year the Browns went 10-6.... Anderson remained the starter until he hurt his wrist and Pinky in week 16 causing Quinn to get his first start as a pro the final week of the season.

The 2008 season brought a QB controversy, but the General Manager announced that Anderson would go into the season as the starter after leading the team to a 10-6 record the year before.... Aftar a 3-5 start with Anderson under center the Browns again went with Quinn. His first start that season and of his career was a loss to the Broncos in which he played well, and even lead the Browns to a 2 td lead against Denver, but the Broncos rallied back to win. The following week Quinn recorded his first win agaisnt the Bills in only his 3rd career start, unfortunately Quinn broke his finger in that game, and had to be taken out the following week against the Texans ending his season.

This ended Crennel's tenure in Cleveland.... The following year Eric Mangini came in and said there would be a competition between Anderson and Quinn for the starting job..Quinn won the competition. He remained the Starter until week 3 when he was benched at halftime agaisnt the Ravens in favor of Anderson who would only hold the starting job for 4 1/2 weeks and was replaced by Quinn in the final minutes of the week 8 loss to the Bears. Going into the BYE week, the Browns once again did not know who their starter would be...Quinn was again handed the starting QB position due to his had work ethic and effort even while on the bench. Quinn returned to the starting position against the Ravens on Monday night football in a week 11 loss to the Ravens (16-0) he remained the starter and put out some of his best performances of his short career in this span leading the team to a 3-2 record before being placed on IR for the final two games of the season with a foot injury. Among the teams Quinn beat were the Steelers and the Chiefs 41-34 in Arrowhead stadium....

As we all know, in 2010 he was traded to the Broncos, and he is now a Free Agent...

Sounds to me like he's never really had a shot to be successful. An hasn't even been allowed to play a full season... I think it could be a possibility Crennel picks this kid up, gives him a 2-3 year deal with backup money in hopes that he could succeed Cassel after his contract is up.

The guy is only 27, and has had the time to learn...If we bring him in as the backup the investment isn't there, and we have time to evaluate him..

He was a 1st round pick for a reason....Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    He was a 1st round pick for a reason....Thoughts??
    I had heard before the season started that he could compete with Orton for the starting job and I think he looked pretty good in the preseason games, IIRC. But I have some questions about him.

Do you think the Broncos will try to resign him?

Why didn't he get a shot in Denver when they gave up on Orton?

I don't know anything about his size / Physique. Do you thinkk he might be injury prone, or was he just playing behind bad O-lines?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I had heard before the season started that he could compete with Orton for the starting job and I think he looked pretty good in the preseason games, IIRC. But I have some questions about him.

I don't know anything about his size / Physique. Do you thinkk he might be injury prone, or was he just playing behind bad O-lines?
    The tebow hype hurt his chances. Donkey fans were crazy to get Tebow in and Tebow won games so he stayed in. I don't think it had anything to do with Quinn not being a better Qb. They were simply a 1-4 team thinking they were out of it and gave the fanbase something they were screaming for.

I wouldn't mind Quinn I would just hope he gets a fair shot to be the starter. I don't Hate Matt Cassel won't mind if he is still the starter next season but I want to to earn it. The injury bug is alot of the reason why he struggled losing your best player and a key redzone target is always going to hurt But Cassel was part of the problem there as well. I want him to EARN the right to keep the job.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post

I doubt he will want to return to Denver now that Tebow is getting his shot...He will want to go somewhere he may have a future with...Which could be likely in KC.

Even though they have announced Cassel as the starter into Training camp, The feeling about the QB position is still an uneasy one. I think it would bring in a young competitor to push Cassel, and could even serve as a successor to Cassel if we decide to move on without him in a year or two...

The more and more I think about it, the more and more I like it..

I think they will try to bring someone in that will push Cassel...

Still think Cassel will be the starter but I think they will bring in a better backup than we have had since he has been here, so he will feel the heat and up his game a bit...
    ...Sure hope so; no more of these Palko types.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...Sure hope so; no more of these Palko types.
    hey, hey, watch your language there mr. you're a mod for goodness sake!!!!!

how bout huard types, or croyle times, lol

I would only be happy about this if we resign Orton. He's allready proved he can play good with this offense and this team. We know he can step in and take over the starting position if needed.
    Bringing in a new Qb that needs to learn the offense only tells me that we're stuck with Cassel wether he plays good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    I would only be happy about this if we resign Orton. He's allready proved he can play good with this offense and this team. We know he can step in and take over the starting position if needed.
    Bringing in a new Qb that needs to learn the offense only tells me that we're stuck with Cassel wether he plays good or bad.
    No matter who the QB is they are going to have to learn the offense because the offense is going to be different next year at least I hope it is. They will have a new cordinator and no head coach messing with them.

Glad to clear the air of the QB talk....Crennel is starting out on the right foot.. Just like he did with Orton and Stanzi his 1st week as interim HC he cleared the air to eliminate distractions.

I think it's important to state who your guy is, weather or not he remains the guy...You need to make it clear to the team who is going to lead them well in advance.

Did anyone find out if Orton is restricted or Unrestricted??? I had heard both, it would be nice to get compensation for him if he is restricted.
    He is unrestricted, but he is a big enough name to garner a compensation pick, it is possible.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast