Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cassel will be starter heading into training camp

Default Cassel will be starter heading into training camp

While it doesn't eliminate the possibility of him having competition, I think we're probably looking at Matt Cassel being the starter next year.

"According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Matt Cassel will "for sure" be the Chiefs' starting quarterback heading into training camp.

Schefter's assertion comes two weeks after new coach Romeo Crennel backed Cassel at his introductory press conference. Schefter's comments leave the door open for the Chiefs to add competition, but the feeling among organization higher-ups is that Cassel can still be a success. Free agent Kyle Orton has hinted he won't be back after leading the Chiefs to a 2-1 record down the stretch. "

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3237/matt-cassel

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    While it doesn't eliminate the possibility of him having competition, I think we're probably looking at Matt Cassel being the starter next year.

"According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Matt Cassel will "for sure" be the Chiefs' starting quarterback heading into training camp.

Schefter's assertion comes two weeks after new coach Romeo Crennel backed Cassel at his introductory press conference. Schefter's comments leave the door open for the Chiefs to add competition, but the feeling among organization higher-ups is that Cassel can still be a success. Free agent Kyle Orton has hinted he won't be back after leading the Chiefs to a 2-1 record down the stretch. "

Glad to clear the air of the QB talk....Crennel is starting out on the right foot.. Just like he did with Orton and Stanzi his 1st week as interim HC he cleared the air to eliminate distractions.

I think it's important to state who your guy is, weather or not he remains the guy...You need to make it clear to the team who is going to lead them well in advance.

Did anyone find out if Orton is restricted or Unrestricted??? I had heard both, it would be nice to get compensation for him if he is restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Glad to clear the air of the QB talk....Crennel is starting out on the right foot.. Just like he did with Orton and Stanzi his 1st week as interim HC he cleared the air to eliminate distractions.

I think it's important to state who your guy is, weather or not he remains the guy...You need to make it clear to the team who is going to lead them well in advance.

Did anyone find out if Orton is restricted or Unrestricted??? I had heard both, it would be nice to get compensation for him if he is restricted.
    He's unrestricted.

Restricted applies only to guys w/ < 4 years experience. I think Orton is at 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

Just like I expected.

Even if we did draft RG3, (which I really don't see possible) I think Cassel would still be the starter, unless of course we used Cassel in the trade to get RG3.

Its a good thing though that its been announced, to ease the talk. It still leaves us short a qb, so we still need to pick 1 up via FA or draft. I would like to have somone who has had starting experience. We saw what happened in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    Just like I expected.

Even if we did draft RG3, (which I really don't see possible) I think Cassel would still be the starter, unless of course we used Cassel in the trade to get RG3.

Its a good thing though that its been announced, to ease the talk. It still leaves us short a qb, so we still need to pick 1 up via FA or draft. I would like to have somone who has had starting experience. We saw what happened in 2011.
    Think it's more likely we see a veteran come in to back him up....

Maybe willing to give Stanzi one more year to develop in hopes of him working out to be a starter in 2 years....If they aren't confident in the idea of him taking over for Cassel in 2 years (Cassel will be 32 years old) I think next year you see us take a QB high in rounds 1 or two...

Possible Vets for this offseason:

A.J. Feeley (STL)
    Byron Leftwich (PIT)
    Mark Brunell (NYJ)
    Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
    Shaun Hill (DET)
    Brady Quinn (DEN)
    David Garrard (FA)
    David Carr (NYG)
    Luke McCown (JAC)
    Chad Henne (MIA)
    Chris Redman (ATL)
    Charlie Batch (PIT)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Think it's more likely we see a veteran come in to back him up....

Maybe willing to give Stanzi one more year to develop in hopes of him working out to be a starter in 2 years....If they aren't confident in the idea of him taking over for Cassel in 2 years (Cassel will be 32 years old) I think next year you see us take a QB high in rounds 1 or two...

Possible Vets for this offseason:

A.J. Feeley (STL)
    Byron Leftwich (PIT)
    Mark Brunell (NYJ)
    Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
    Shaun Hill (DET)
    Brady Quinn (DEN)
    David Garrard (FA)
    David Carr (NYG)
    Luke McCown (JAC)
    Chad Henne (MIA)
    Chris Redman (ATL)
    Charlie Batch (PIT)
    I think Brady Quinn would be my pick of this group.

Yes, and the cleveland connection is there

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    Yes, and the cleveland connection is there
    and he would have more talent around him here than he did in Cleveland...

Maybe shines and is an answer for after Cassel??

...Still would have liked to see Cassel compete with Orton.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...Still would have liked to see Cassel compete with Orton.
    I think they will try to bring someone in that will push Cassel...

Still think Cassel will be the starter but I think they will bring in a better backup than we have had since he has been here, so he will feel the heat and up his game a bit...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast