Thread: 2011 Tackling Efficiency - Safeties (we have 3 in the bottom 20)

Default 2011 Tackling Efficiency - Safeties (we have 3 in the bottom 20)

Here is an interesting statistical ranking of the safeties relating to tackling efficiency which ranks safeties based on total snaps, total attempts, total misses to calculate a tackle efficiency. 88 players were ranked.

I was not surprised that Jon McGraw (#85 out of 88!!) and Donald Washington (#81) were included in the bottom 20 ranking, but I was surprised Kendrick Lewis (#73) was as well. Three safeties playing enough to rank in the bottom for tackling efficiency is not good at all...no matter how you look at it. And I have to believe that Sabby Piscatelli just missed out on playing enough snaps to be ranked!

When considering McGraw's ranking, it makes it even more amazing that he has received as much playing time because while his lack of overall athleticism was pretty much a known quantity in pass coverage, his experience and understanding of the defense was touted as a reason he received as much playing time as he did. He was used as the "jack" safety (near the line of scrimmage) supposedly because of his tackling ability. This analysis seems to indicate the opposite. And I do distinctly remember him taking several very poor angles in run defense when playing essentially an additional linebacker role (specifically against San Diego).

IMO, the guy has completely outlived his usefullness on the roster. If his experience is soo valuable, we need to consider replacing some of our coaches...because we can't afford to use roster spots on "coaches" like McGraw. McGraw's liabilities are well known, but his supposed strengths appear to be weaknesses now as well.

Washington doesn't surprise me for the simple fact that like Sabby Piscatelli, he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Both have the physical measureables, but don't have a good enough understanding of technique and don't seem to have the necessary instincts to put themselves in the right place at the right time.

Lewis I am a little more confused about. I know he has alot of supporters, but I can't help but think that with Berry out of the equation, he is the best out of the worst when it comes to our safeties. I am not saying he is horrible, but maybe compared to guys like McGraw, Washington, Piscatelli, etc., he looks alot more complete than he really is. While I don't think we should replace him, I do wonder if some of his weaknesses (lack of closing speed, etc.) are going largely unnoticed because most of us are cursing the other safeties when they are making obvious miscues.

Thoughts?

2011 Tackling: The Safeties | ProFootballFocus.com

Put Lewis out there (ar anyone for that matter) without a supporting cast and they are not going to be successful.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Dosen`t surprise me at all about Lewis. He`s more of a ball hawk and Berry was the enforcer. Lewis seemed to wiff on alot of tackles.
    As well as the rest, what do you expect. Remember Pioli, you get what you pay for.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    Dosen`t surprise me at all about Lewis. He`s more of a ball hawk and Berry was the enforcer. Lewis seemed to wiff on alot of tackles.
    As well as the rest, what do you expect. Remember Pioli, you get what you pay for.
    You're right. Garbage in. Garbage out. I would liked to have seen a better rating for Lewis though. Ball-hawk or not, you gotta make the tackle when you are back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Put Lewis out there (ar anyone for that matter) without a supporting cast and they are not going to be successful.
    But basically this is essentially an individual grade by all appearances. As far as I can tell it really counts the opportunities that the individual had to make what is essentially an individual play - a tackle on the ball carrier.

Now, I can understand the pass coverage can be a little trickier to analyze because the argument can be made that a player misses an assignment in coverage and that can make another player look bad.

But wiffing on a tackle is what it is....it wouldn't seem to matter if McGraw missed his assignment or not, if Lewis was in a position to make a tackle and missed making it, that is tough see in the back of the defense....especially considering his strengths were supposedly his instincts (which I think are good), and his ability to get himself in the right place at the right time...which would help him to overcome some physical limitations...but it doesn't help it you put yourself in the right place at the right time but fail to bring the ball carrier down.

A disturbing stat but something that should improve when
    Berry is back.

Lewis probably tries to throw a shoulder at the ball carrier to knock him down instead of a wrapup tackle cause he's so small. alot of times the runner just bounces off and keeps going. i hated it when they do that, don't they teach the art of tackling anymore?
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

I would like to know how their tackling efficiency changed throughout the year. As I understood the number of plays over 20 yards during the last 6 games was the best in the league. That would have a lot to do with safeties being able to tackle.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you didn't notice the list, this nobody named Ed Reed is also on the list. Brandon Meriweather is also on it, and while he's not great, I'd certainly take him over the trash we had at SS last season.

Basically with Lewis, it's give and take. I believe he has great instincts, knows how to set up a defense well, and can be a ball hawk if it's thrown in his area. He'll do better at tackling, he just has to work on the form.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs fanatic View Post
    A disturbing stat but something that should improve when
    Berry is back.

Berry will help us out here and also its just another reason to sign Carr.