Thread: Chiefs hire McMahon as special teams coach

Default Chiefs hire McMahon as special teams coach

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The Kansas City Chiefs hired Tom McMahon to coach special teams and cut ties on Monday with three assistants from former head coach Todd Haley's staff.

McMahon will take over for Steve Hoffman, who wasn't retained after Romeo Crennel was elevated from interim head coach to the permanent job. Also let go were wide receivers coach Richie Anderson and assistant offensive line coach Pat Perles.

"I'm very blessed to have the opportunity to come to Kansas City and be a part of Romeo's staff," said McMahon, who spent the past three seasons coaching special teams for St. Louis.

"Romeo and I have a shared vision of what it takes to win, and I'm excited to get started."

McMahon's special teams have been one of the few bright spots for the Rams the last couple of years. St. Louis had the NFL's third-best net punting average in 2010, and punt returner Danny Amendola led the league in 20-plus-yard returns in 2009 and '10 combined.

Before his time in St. Louis, McMahon spent two seasons as an assistant special teams coach for Atlanta, and more than a decade in the college ranks with Louisville and Utah State.

"I am pleased to add Tom to our staff," Crennel said in a statement issued by the team. "He is a diligent worker and passionate coach. It is a great addition for us."

Crennel has already announced that he will serve as his own defensive co-ordinator, though he hasn't announced who will be the offensive co-ordinator.

Longtime assistant coach Bill Muir, who served as offensive co-ordinator last season, has talked about retirement after struggling in his first season running the offence.

Hamstrung by injuries, Kansas City had one of the least productive offences in the NFL.

The Chiefs were interested in former Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman before he chose to join new head coach Joe Philbin's staff in Miami, and former Rams offensive co-ordinator Josh McDaniels, who has instead returned to Bill Belichick's staff in New England.

The only other name from outside the organization that has surfaced is Brian Daboll, who was the offensive co-ordinator in Miami. He was an assistant with Crennel with the Patriots.

Among the internal candidates is Jim Zorn, the former head coach in Washington. He spent last season working with the Chiefs quarterbacks, but also directed Seattle's offence a few years ago.

Crennel has said he likely won't announce his choice until after the Super Bowl on Sunday.
    Last edited by okikcfan; 01-30-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Never heard of him

so heads start to roll
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

I think this is a step up and I am Happy with his choice. It's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    I think this is a step up and I am Happy with his choice. It's a start.
    I completely agree, and am happy with this hiring!! GO CHIEFS 2012!!!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~