Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marq. Colsto/ Nicks from Saints

Default Marq. Colsto/ Nicks from Saints

I read that the saints may not be able to retain both if breese doesn't sign and they're forced to use their franchise on him(breese) .

Say we let bowe walk(hope not), franchise Carr, do you think the chiefs are in a position to bid for those players? If bowe does leave what are our options? I havent heard any news the past week about them (Carr/bowe) so I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I am excited about next year though.

Would love to see another WR added like Colston. I think that would "sure up" everything at that position and pose a threat everytime the ball is snapped.

Quote Originally Posted by KCCF View Post
    I read that the saints may not be able to retain both if breese doesn't sign and they're forced to use their franchise on him(breese) .

Say we let bowe walk(hope not), franchise Carr, do you think the chiefs are in a position to bid for those players? If bowe does leave what are our options? I havent heard any news the past week about them (Carr/bowe) so I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I am excited about next year though.
    Not saying I wouldn't love Colston, but I think Nicks would be the more likely addition to our team...

First off I think we tag Bowe, Not Carr....Simply because if we tag Carr we will be inflating his contract higher than what it needs to be. Carr is a very good corner, but, he is more than likely not going to recieve top 10 money elsewhere in FA so we would in turn be paying him a couple million more than what would actually be needed to retain him (Tagging a player guarantees the player the average of the top 10 salaries at their position group)

Bowe on the other hand would be considered a top 10-15 WR, and we will more than likely have to pay him at least that much to stay anyways, so IMO I think it is the smarter move to tag Bowe and work to re-sign Carr asap.

Secondly, Colston would be nasty, but I don't think we should give up on Baldwin just yet...He showed some pretty nice flashes last year, and with our addition of Breaston to the group last year, I think we will look to add a second teir talent at the position for sub packages rather than adding another potential starter.

I think New Orleans will more than likely work to nail down both Brees and Colston first...Seeing as they have already given Jahari Evans, their other OG, big money to stay in town, I don't think they can afford to pay big money to both of their OG's so I think it's more likely he leaves, which I would love to grab him to replace Lilja.

One thing to consider in the WR discussion, is that we DO have Dexter Mccluster who is supposed to be our slot back. With a healthy RB, I would expect to see a lot more of DMC in the slot position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post

First off I think we tag Bowe, Not Carr....Simply because if we tag Carr we will be inflating his contract higher than what it needs to be. Carr is a very good corner, but, he is more than likely not going to recieve top 10 money elsewhere in FA so we would in turn be paying him a couple million more than what would actually be needed to retain him (Tagging a player guarantees the player the average of the top 10 salaries at their position group)

Bowe on the other hand would be considered a top 10-15 WR, and we will more than likely have to pay him at least that much to stay anyways, so IMO I think it is the smarter move to tag Bowe and work to re-sign Carr asap.

Secondly, Colston would be nasty, but I don't think we should give up on Baldwin just yet...He showed some pretty nice flashes last year, and with our addition of Breaston to the group last year, I think we will look to add a second teir talent at the position for sub packages rather than adding another potential starter.

I think New Orleans will more than likely work to nail down both Brees and Colston first...Seeing as they have already given Jahari Evans, their other OG, big money to stay in town, I don't think they can afford to pay big money to both of their OG's so I think it's more likely he leaves, which I would love to grab him to replace Lilja.
    If both are here in 2012, I suspect you are right about which guy gets a long-term deal, and which guy is franchised.

But not for the reasons that you mentioned. More because Pioli will be looking to let Bowe go after one more year, in favor of his big first round pick, Baldwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Not saying I wouldn't love Colston, but I think Nicks would be the more likely addition to our team...

I just don't think Colston will be an option the chiefs will consider. First off we are not a pass happy team and won't be as long as Cassel is behind center. Our bread and butter is running the ball and win the game with our defense. Secondly if we are having a hard time paying Bowe how would be able to give Colston the BIG money he would require. I may be wrong but I'd say Colston will get the bigger paycheck of the two in 2012.

I agree with you that Carl Nicks is more likely to come here. I would love to see that happen,at 6 ft 5 in. 343 pounds he is exactly what we need. This guy is a great run blocker a and also quite good at pass protection. From what I have read he is not likely to be resigned by the Saints.

Another thing to consider, next year Dorsey and Albert will be free agents.

I don't see Colston as a realistic possibility. If we allow Bowe to go, then it would be a backward move to pay a top FA, when we could have done that with a better talent, who is already a part of this team.

And if we were to keep Bowe, despite the complaints of many, we have a pretty full WR corp with Baldwin, Bowe, Breaston and McCluster.

We have positions that are in need of some big improvements. But WR is not one of them, so long as we retain what we have, in my opinion.

Now Nicks I like. And he would be a big move toward creating a strong interior running game.

He is my #1 FA target right now.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I don't see Colston as a realistic possibility. If we allow Bowe to go, then it would be a backward move to pay a top FA, when we could have done that with a better talent, who is already a part of this team.

And if we were to keep Bowe, despite the complaints of many, we have a pretty full WR corp with Baldwin, Bowe, Breaston and McCluster.

We have positions that are in need of some big improvements. But WR is not one of them, so long as we retain what we have, in my opinion.

Now Nicks I like. And he would be a big move toward creating a strong interior running game.

He is my #1 FA target right now.

We'll if your name is Scott Pioli I think I'd be pretty happy right now!

We're not getting Nicks. Pioli isn't going to give a guard that kind of money, no matter how good he is.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    We're not getting Nicks. Pioli isn't going to give a guard that kind of money, no matter how good he is.
    Nicks made $2.61 million last year and I think he will get around $3 million per year in FA. That's more that double the average of $1.267 for o-linemen, but I think he is worth it. We re-signed Ryan Succup for almost $3 million per year and we have a lot of cap space. O-line is our biggest need this year, so I don't think it is out of the question that we would sign him.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast