Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marq. Colsto/ Nicks from Saints

Default Marq. Colsto/ Nicks from Saints

I read that the saints may not be able to retain both if breese doesn't sign and they're forced to use their franchise on him(breese) .

Say we let bowe walk(hope not), franchise Carr, do you think the chiefs are in a position to bid for those players? If bowe does leave what are our options? I havent heard any news the past week about them (Carr/bowe) so I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I am excited about next year though.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Nicks made $2.61 million last year and I think he will get around $3 million per year in FA. That's more that double the average of $1.267 for o-linemen, but I think he is worth it. We re-signed Ryan Succup for almost $3 million per year and we have a lot of cap space. O-line is our biggest need this year, so I don't think it is out of the question that we would sign him.
    Yeah I agree. Who says pioli wont? He needs to do something and said he was going to be aggressive in free agency this year. I feel like even just 1 lineman will make a huge difference especially given how we will likely spend our 1st round on a lineman as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Nicks made $2.61 million last year and I think he will get around $3 million per year in FA. That's more that double the average of $1.267 for o-linemen, but I think he is worth it. We re-signed Ryan Succup for almost $3 million per year and we have a lot of cap space. O-line is our biggest need this year, so I don't think it is out of the question that we would sign him.
    Where are you getting this??!! What is the $1.267 average for offensive linemen?? You can't take the average for offensive lineman and figure doubling that is the contract Nicks will get. That is counting alot of minimum salary guys that are on rosters for depth. If you want a true value or rather projected cost of a player, you need to look at comparable recent contracts....you will quickly find Nicks is going to make alot more than $3 million!!

2012 NFL Top Average Salaries - Guard

Now, if the signing bonus (and some roster bonuses) are high enough, Nicks may agree to a couple of base salaries of $3 million, but I would think he and his agent at a minimum are looking to be in the top 10 paid guards in the NFL...and if the market is right, I would say top 5 is a real possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    Where are you getting this??!! What is the $1.267 average for offensive linemen?? You can't take the average for offensive lineman and figure doubling that is the contract Nicks will get. That is counting alot of minimum salary guys that are on rosters for depth. If you want a true value or rather projected cost of a player, you need to look at comparable recent contracts....you will quickly find Nicks is going to make alot more than $3 million!!

2012 NFL Top Average Salaries - Guard

Now, if the signing bonus (and some roster bonuses) are high enough, Nicks may agree to a couple of base salaries of $3 million, but I would think he and his agent at a minimum are looking to be in the top 10 paid guards in the NFL...and if the market is right, I would say top 5 is a real possibility.
    I got the average from a Sport Illustrated link, and you are right that includes a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers which brings the "average" down.

Thanks for posting that link. I tried to find that information (Google) but couldn't bring up a list of the top paid guards. I didn't realize that OGs were getting that much money, (although I think they deserve it). 3 million would put Nicks at 17th on the 2011 list and he certainly will get more than that. 6 million just barely gets him into the top ten, so my estimate was way to low.

I'm not sure the Chiefs will be willing to go that high on a guard, but they will have to do some spending. There is just too much uncertainty in relying on rookie draft picks to be able to come in and make an impact right away.

There are some tough decisions ahead for our Chiefs.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

If we couldn't keep Bowe, and we got Colston, I would have a heart attack. Colston is awesome. It would suck seeing Bowe leave, but Colston is a beast.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

One reason I think it is important to try extremely hard to keep Bowe is that he is good in run blocking. I'm not sure if or how good colston is, but I know Bowe's strength makes him a good run blocker, which is very important when you are a running team, and especially a team that has speed rbs that like to try and hit the edge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12