Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Latest news on Manning not good:

Default Latest news on Manning not good:

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Never really thought of it this way, but JC=Marshall Faulk, but maybe better. That is if he comes back fully. However, I am waiting to make judgement on whether we should go after Peyton until I hear that his strength in his triceps has fully recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think Peyton would be an ideal fit with JC.

The type of offense Manning runs leaves the running game as the compliment, and change-of-pace.

And, to have a guy as quick as JC in a "surprise" kind of role would be exceptionally effective, I think.

You get defenses on their heels, delaying their reaction to running plays, and Charles will be behind the defense before they even figure out that Peyton doesn't have the football.

I think Charles would do better in that role than even an Adrian Peterson could.

It is a pipe-dream. But this offense could become a complete nightmare to defend, if Manning were at the helm.

There is just no way that defenses could be prepared for a running play if he were on the field.
    That makes perfect sense, but only if Manning's arm fully recovers and at this point that doesn't look likely.

My concern is that if Peyton can't throw the ball over 20 yards than defenses will be able to sit on the short routes and play closer to the line of scrimmage which would actually make it harder to run the ball.

Of course, one of the reasons Manning has been so good is that he gets rid of the ball so quickly, but if he doesn't have any "zip" on the ball, it will give the defenses just a hair more time to react and that could be a big problem.

I would be 100% in favor of picking up Manning if his recovery was going better or if we knew he would be back to full strength by August. It just seems like too much of a risk right now.

We don't have to have an elite QB (although it would certainly be nice to) for this team to be successful and Manning definitely would not be a "long term" solution. What if he suffers a season ending injury in game 3 or 4? (I know, it could happen to any QB.) Then we are back to square one with Cassel starting (if we didn't release him) and no quality back-up.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

i will give you the best reason for getting Peyton,i think he would make an awsome QB coach end eventualy offensive coordinator and he is likely to go to what ever team gives him a chance now or retires with. just hinking ahead,
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    i will give you the best reason for getting Peyton,i think he would make an awsome QB coach end eventualy offensive coordinator and he is likely to go to what ever team gives him a chance now or retires with. just hinking ahead,
    What makes you think Peyton even wants to coach? Has he ever said so?

Just because a player is a great QB, doesn't mean he will be a great coach. I went and looked at the coaching success of former great QBs.

Joe Montana - Wait, he never coached.
    Dan Marino - Neither did he. He WAS Senior Vice Presiddent of Football Operations for the Miami Dolphins ... for 3 weeks.
    Johnny Unitas - Never coached, became color commentator for CBS.
    Bart Starr - QB coach in 1972. Coached QB Scott Hunter (remember him?). As head coach for Packers. for 9 years, compiled record of 52-76-1. The only season he made the playoffs was the strike shortened season when the Packers went 5-3-1. Every other year the Packers were .500 or less.
    Steve Young - Never coached.
    Fran Tarkenton - Also never coached. Hosted That's Incredible and worked part time for Monday Night Football.
    Roger Staubach - Never coached.
    Brett Favre - Not yet. I'm STILL not fully convinced he's retired.
    John Elway - Never coached. How's he doing as Executive Vice President of Football Operations for the Broncos?
    Len Dawson - Never coached. Became Sports Director at KMBC Channel 9 in Kansas City.
    Dan Fouts - Never coached. Commentator for NFL on CBS.
    Warren Moon - Never coached. Broadcasts Seahawks games.
    Terry Bradshaw - He's HILARIOUS! But no, no coaching experience.

I could go on, but the talent pool is getting pretty thin at this point. In fact, the only ex-quarterback I can think of with success as a coach is Jim Harbaugh, and he is far from elite.

Most Great GBs don't become coaches. Many of them do go into broadcasting, though.

Maybe Manning does want to be a coach and maybe he would be great at it. But is it worth giving him what would amount to $20,000,000+ signing bonus? QB coaches don't get that kind of money even if their last name is Manning.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 02-18-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

On top of all of that....Why would he want to be a QB coach in KC??

I dont mean that in a "bad" way but just sayin....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234