Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs are 63m under the cap

Default Chiefs are 63m under the cap

nick wright@getnickwright

Always KC. RT @MattPomPom Teams with most salary cap room(in millions): KC $63, TB $60, CIN $60, DEN $51, WAS $48, JAC $45.

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    sir I hope you are right and i eat crow lol. I'm excited about this offseason but I've been a fan since 95, never have seen a playoff win and my roommate is a donkies fan and I just watched teebow win a playoff game so i think its just got me in a rut
    Been a fan since the same year as you and still waiting to. The better half is a Rams fan shes gotten a superbowl and loves to remind me of it LOL. I still think that we will be a good bit under the cap this season but I think we will be more aggressive in the free agent market. Simply because anytime you go from 10-6 to 7-9 the heat is going up on the gm.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

‎"When Kyle Orton was claimed by the Chiefs, it was unofficially reported that the Chiefs were $27 million under the salary cap.

If that figure is accurate, then it gives them the resources to pursue a prize free agent (possibly a Nose Tackle) come NFL Free Agency. If not any big names, at least smaller ones, like Steve Breaston, who can come on board and fill a lot of holes.

But I wonder, can that reported figure possibly be true? $27 Million?

Over the last year, Pioli, has made a commitment to retain his core players with contract extensions. He has done just that. The problem is, that if you look at those numbers, the Chiefs must be closer to the cap than many fans think.

The following is a list of just eleven players off of that 53 man roster. Given the money shelled out to these eleven alone, those figures would be hard to believe:

Jamal Charles—$33 Million with a $12 Million Guarantee

Derrick Johnson—$34 Million with $18 Million Guarante

Tamba Hali—$60 Million with $35 Million Guarantee

Eric Berry—$60 Million with $34 Million Guarantee

Tyson Jackson—$57 Million with $31 Million Guarantee

Matt Cassel—$63 Million with $28 Million Guarantee

Glen Dorsey—$51 Million with $22 Million Guarantee

Brandon Flowers—$50 Million with $22 Million Guarantee

Wallace Gilberry—$10 Million with $6 Million Guarantee

Brandon Albert—$38 Million with 18 Million Guarantee

If you figure the Chiefs will put a Franchise tag on Dwayne Bowe next year, then he will make an average of the top five wide receivers in the NFL. That will cost them an additional $15 million for next season alone.

You do the math.

Granted not all that money is guaranteed, some will be prorated over the course of the contract, but even still that is a staggering amount. Would trading Matt Cassel make the difference?

Then again, they may add Kyle Orton to the mix, but I doubt it.

I want to also point out that if the Chiefs let Orton walk after this season, then the Chiefs will get an extra sixth Round compensatory pick either in 2012 or 2013. It will depend on whether he signs before or after this upcoming draft.

Under $27 Million? I doubt that. Believe me, unless they make some moves don't expect them to be big spenders in NFL free agency in 2012."

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    ‎"When Kyle Orton was claimed by the Chiefs, it was unofficially reported that the Chiefs were $27 million under the salary cap.

If that figure is accurate, then it gives them the resources to pursue a prize free agent (possibly a Nose Tackle) come NFL Free Agency. If not any big names, at least smaller ones, like Steve Breaston, who can come on board and fill a lot of holes.

But I wonder, can that reported figure possibly be true? $27 Million?

Over the last year, Pioli, has made a commitment to retain his core players with contract extensions. He has done just that. The problem is, that if you look at those numbers, the Chiefs must be closer to the cap than many fans think.

The following is a list of just eleven players off of that 53 man roster. Given the money shelled out to these eleven alone, those figures would be hard to believe:

Jamal Charles—$33 Million with a $12 Million Guarantee

Derrick Johnson—$34 Million with $18 Million Guarante

Tamba Hali—$60 Million with $35 Million Guarantee

Eric Berry—$60 Million with $34 Million Guarantee

Tyson Jackson—$57 Million with $31 Million Guarantee

Matt Cassel—$63 Million with $28 Million Guarantee

Glen Dorsey—$51 Million with $22 Million Guarantee

Brandon Flowers—$50 Million with $22 Million Guarantee

Wallace Gilberry—$10 Million with $6 Million Guarantee

Brandon Albert—$38 Million with 18 Million Guarantee

If you figure the Chiefs will put a Franchise tag on Dwayne Bowe next year, then he will make an average of the top five wide receivers in the NFL. That will cost them an additional $15 million for next season alone.

You do the math.

Granted not all that money is guaranteed, some will be prorated over the course of the contract, but even still that is a staggering amount. Would trading Matt Cassel make the difference?

Then again, they may add Kyle Orton to the mix, but I doubt it.

I want to also point out that if the Chiefs let Orton walk after this season, then the Chiefs will get an extra sixth Round compensatory pick either in 2012 or 2013. It will depend on whether he signs before or after this upcoming draft.

Under $27 Million? I doubt that. Believe me, unless they make some moves don't expect them to be big spenders in NFL free agency in 2012."
    Here's the thing, where you are looking at some multi-year contracts, others are actually breaking them down to season specific totals, and going from there.

No doubt, this $64 million estimate is excluding players who are currently on pace to become FAs next month. And none of their numbers are 100% official, as they are from sports writers (we all know how trust-worthy they are).

And I don't put a whole lot of stock into sports writers' guesses.

But when it is every sports writer coming up with such similar numbers, odds are that they are going to be pretty close. They know the cap rules, the contract stipulations, and how teams work the numbers. For all of them to be dead wrong, because you doubt it, is not something I can subscribe to.

I also heard, a little while back, that the amount under the cap, for 2011, that a team was would grant some form of of bonus to 2012 cap room.

This would create a bigger number for amount under the cap, as the cap would be higher for the upcoming year.

But that too is not something I have seen reported by anybody more than our fellow crowd members.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Here's the thing, where you are looking at some multi-year contracts, others are actually breaking them down to season specific totals, and going from there.

No doubt, this $64 million estimate is excluding players who are currently on pace to become FAs next month. And none of their numbers are 100% official, as they are from sports writers (we all know how trust-worthy they are).

And I don't put a whole lot of stock into sports writers' guesses.

But when it is every sports writer coming up with such similar numbers, odds are that they are going to be pretty close. They know the cap rules, the contract stipulations, and how teams work the numbers. For all of them to be dead wrong, because you doubt it, is not something I can subscribe to.

I also heard, a little while back, that the amount under the cap, for 2011, that a team was would grant some form of of bonus to 2012 cap room.

This would create a bigger number for amount under the cap, as the cap would be higher for the upcoming year.

But that too is not something I have seen reported by anybody more than our fellow crowd members.

According to NBCSports.com (a pretty reliable source)

Under Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the CBA, each team may carry over any remaining cap room from one year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner of the team, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year. The written notice must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift from one cap year to the next.
    Figuring out cap room is very complicated and the number keeps changing. AskTheCommish.com reports the Chiefs cap space at $27,155,808. NFLTradeRumors.com says it's $34.3 million. I've heard numbers as high as $64 million. The fact that the Chiefs have 22 FAs to sign would make this year's cap space very high. That is 42% of the team. And the Chiefs have indicated that they will make resigning their current players a priority. That will eat up a lot of that cap space.

Scott Pioli (who should know) says the cap space from 2011 is around $20 million. And the Chiefs will carry over all of it; That doesn't mean they will spend it, but they have that option.

Here is a very good article from ArrowheadAddict.com (Just posted today) where Pioli discusses the salary cap. Some interresting quotes:

According to an interview given by Clark Hunt the week of the Super Bowl, the Kansas City Chiefs finished the season about $20 million under the salary cap. There had been reports of the team being as much as $27 million under the cap, however Hunt indicated that those estimates were a bit high. Under the new rules of the updated CBA, teams can carry over unused cap dollars from one year to the next.
    With the extra $20 million, the Chiefs could outbid just about any other NFL team for any free agent they might deem worth the money.
    According to Hunt, the team has already decided to carry over their space.

“The reason we chose to carry it over is because we anticipate needing it in 2012 and 2013. Both to continue signing our own fee agents as well as being able to go out and sign some free agents from outside,” Hunt told 810 Sports just days before the Super Bowl.
    Because they’ve been near the bottom of the league in spending for a while now, many fans have taken to calling them the Kansas City Cheaps.

Those accusations might not necessarily be fair. The Chiefs are a very young team and quite frankly, they haven’t had many big stars worth spending money on since Scott Pioli came to town. Of the stars they do have, the Chiefs have re-signed most of them including Brandon Flowers, Tamba Hali, Jamaal Charles and Derrick Johnson. I’ve been saying for a while that we wouldn’t really be able to find out if the Chiefs were cheap or not until the time came to retain their stars and pay them big contracts. A young team will only be young and cheap for so long. Eventually, the Chiefs will have to pay or cut players lose. According to Hunt, the Chiefs are very aware that the time to spend if coming.

“When the team went young in 2008, with Herm Edwards as the coach, we ended up with a very young football team which put us way under the salary cap, that was sot of one of the byproducts of that,” Hunt said. “And when Scott came in, he inherited that situation. He’s gone out and added some key free agents as we’ve gone along. But we’ve also signed a lot of very expensive number one draft choices, particularly under the old CBA. A lot of time the way those contracts are structured, they create significant challenges for you from a cap standpoint as you go forward. Last year when I was speaking with some of the media about our salary cap situation, I told them that this situations going to change dramatically as we go forward. As we go into 2012 and 2013, we are going to utilize that cap space. Thank goodness we’ve been able to carry over the space that we had in 11′ to 12′ and 13′ because it’s really going to help us, it’s going to give us an advantage against some other teams that will have to let guys go.”
    Pioli has already said that he needs to do a better job of getting enough depth on the team and has committed to doing so. The Chiefs have the money and they will spend it.

I just can't wait to see what they spend it on.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 02-12-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    According to NBCSports.com (a pretty reliable source)

Figuring out cap room is very complicated and the number keeps changing. AskTheCommish.com reports the Chiefs cap space at $27,155,808. NFLTradeRumors.com says it's $34.3 million. I've heard numbers as high as $64 million. The fact that the Chiefs have 22 FAs to sign would make this year's cap space very high. That is 42% of the team. And the Chiefs have indicated that they will make resigning their current players a priority. That will eat up a lot of that cap space.

Scott Pioli (who should know) says the cap space from 2011 is around $20 million. And the Chiefs will carry over all of it; That doesn't mean they will spend it, but they have that option.

Here is a very good article from ArrowheadAddict.com (Just posted today) where Pioli discusses the salary cap. Some interresting quotes:

Pioli has already said that he needs to do a better job of getting enough depth on the team and has committed to doing so. The Chiefs have the money and they will spend it.

I just can't wait to see what they spend it on.
    Lockup Bowe and Carr long-term (obvious), bring in Paul Soliai from the Dolphins as our 3-4 nose tackle, if he hits the free agent market talk to Texans center Chris Myers...sign BenJarvus Green-Ellis as a compliment to Jamaal Charles, Anthony Collins from the Bengals as competition at right tackle (and as a swing tackle option for depth). That would give us alot of flexibility going into the draft.

is it free agency yet? lol....... were now correcting each other as to how much money the hunts are swimming in aka duck tales

heres a pic for everyone hunt tales!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    heres a pic for everyone hunt tales!!

I thought so! See that proves it!

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    Lockup Bowe and Carr long-term (obvious) ($15 million est.), bring in Paul Soliai ($12.5 million) from the Dolphins as our 3-4 nose tackle , if he hits the free agent market talk to Texans center Chris Myers ($3.5 million)...sign BenJarvus Green-Ellis ($12.5 million) as a compliment to Jamaal Charles, Anthony Collins ($0.75 million) from the Bengals as competition at right tackle (and as a swing tackle option for depth). That would give us alot of flexibility going into the draft.
    The numbers I threw in there are based on the players' 2011 salaries (including prorated signing bonuses) except for Bowe and Car. There I'm just guessing at what it would cost to keep them both. That total is $44.25 million! And that takes care of 6 of our 22 FA spots. How much money will that leave us to fill the other 16 spots? Then we have to leave some cap room if we want to resign Albert, Dorsey and Colquit before they become free agents after next season.

Wow. Football players make a lot of money!
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 02-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    The numbers I threw in there are based on the players' 2011 salaries (including prorated signing bonuses) except for Bowe and Car. There I'm just guessing at what it would cost to keep them both. That total is $44.25 million! And that takes care of 6 of our 22 FA spots. How much money will that leave us to fill the other 16 spots? Then we have to leave some cap room if we want to resign Albert, Dorsey and Colquit before they become free agents after next season.

Wow. Football players make a lot of money!
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic in your response, but I will bite. First off, obviously with either Bowe or Carr there is the option one of the two could be franchised (wide receiver $9.4 million for 2012, cornerback $10.6 million for 2012). Now, the thing that can be misleading is the "average salary" that gets thrown around by alot of people. This doesn't account for either front or back loading a contract, so depending on how the contract is structured with guaranteed money for example, the real salary (bonuses and base salary) could be very reasonable for long term contracts when compared to the franchise tender offers. The franchise tender offer is meant as a "last resort" for the team to retain the player, but it certainly is not a cheap one year deal...and obviously goes up substantially if the player is franchised the next year.

That being said, you can't expect to count Soliai's franchise tender of last year as what the Chiefs will have to pay in 2012 if they sign him long term. Keep in mind, the signing bonus can be spread over the lifetime of the contract (not sure the max number of years you can spread the signing bonus out, I was thinking 5...not sure if that changed)...plus you can offer more guaranteed money that could make the difference in the player accepting your offer or a competing offer.

On Chris Myers, I don't expect him to hit the free agent market as I would definitely figure the Texans will re-sign Myers long term. I did state if he was a free agent, it would definitely be worth talking to him.

On BenJarvus Green-Ellis, not sure where you got your numbers from, but I can assure you he didn't make $12.5 million in 2011. In fact, here is his contract history :
    Rookie contract : 3 years/$1,150,000
    2008 : $295,000
    2009 : $385,000
    2010 : $470,000
    2011 : $1,835,000 (restricted tender offer)
    And considering I would view Green-Ellis as Thomas Jones' replacement, offering him a decent contract at or slightly above what Jones made while playing for us wouldn't be out of line...especially considering the signing bonus could be spread out.[/font]
    Thomas Jones
    2 year contract : 2 years/$5,000,000
    2010 : $3,000,000
    2011 : $1,900,000 ($1,100,000 bonus)
    And here is the contract history for Anthony Collins...who made less than you indicated
    Anthony Collins
    Rookie contract : 4 years/$2,175,000 ($470,000 signing bonus)
    2008 : $412,625
    2009 : $502,625
    2010 : $487,625
    2011 : $672,625

(here is where I got the salary info, but rotoworld also provides solid salary info : Spotrac.com :: The Spot for Sports Contracts :: Homepage)
    Last edited by nicfre2011; 02-12-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast