Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Chiefs offensive line coach

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Chiefs offensive line coach


    0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like we've all but made the hire.

    "Giants assistant coach Jack Bicknell Jr. is expected to be hired as the Chiefs' offensive line coach, according to someone informed of the impending hire.

    The person requested anonymity because Kansas City hasn't yet announced the addition of Bicknell to Romeo Crennel's staff. Bicknell, a native of North Plainfield, interviewed with the Chiefs last week.

    Bicknell, 49, has been the Giants' assistant offensive line coach under Pat Flaherty for the past three seasons. Previously, he was an assistant and head coach for three college programs. He served as a graduate assistant at Boston College in 1986 for his father Jack Sr., the Eagles' head coach from 1981-90, and returned to the program as offensive line coach from 2007-08. Jack Jr., whose brother Bob is the Bills' tight ends coach, was the head coach at Louisiana Tech from 1999-2006.

    Bicknell's departure means the Giants now have two vacancies on their offensive staff. Quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan was hired as the Buccaneers' offensive coordinator on Friday.

    NFL.com reported earlier today that Alex Van Pelt accepted a position on the Green Bay Packers' offensive staff. Van Pelt had generated interest from the Giants to replace Sullivan."
    Giants assistant Jack Bicknell Jr. to be hired as Chiefs offensive line coach | NJ.com

    Also:

    "Last week reports out of New York said that the Kansas City Chiefs were interviewing the New York Giants' Jack Bicknell Jr. for their offensive line coaching job.

    And this morning reports coming out of New York indicate the deal will get done. Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reports the Chiefs are expected to hire Bicknell as their new offensive line coach. The Chiefs have not confirmed this news.

    Bicknell was the Giants assistant offensive line coach under Pat Flaherty.

    The position became available when Bill Muir, last year's offensive line coach (and offensive coordinator), retired. The Chiefs were planning on keeping Muir at offensive line coach if he didn't retire.

    Bicknell is the brother of Bob Bicknell, who was previously an assistant on the Chiefs staff.

    This leaves only a couple of spots to fill on the Chiefs staff -- assistant offensive line and receivers. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel indicated he knew what he wanted to do at receivers coach so this appears to be the last big hire on the staff."

    http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/2...ck-bicknell-jr

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,196
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Well, the Giants had a very good O-line this year. I'm not sure how much of it was the players, how much of it was the coaching and how much of it was Eli Manning making the O-line look good, nut it sounds like a good hire to me. Now we need an assistant offensive line coach? Talk about specialization!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

    Originally Posted by Name Withheld
    I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    147
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Well, the Giants had a very good O-line this year. I'm not sure how much of it was the players, how much of it was the coaching and how much of it was Eli Manning making the O-line look good, nut it sounds like a good hire to me. Now we need an assistant offensive line coach? Talk about specialization!
    I can't knock this signing. I would still have preferred Iowa Hawkeyes long-time offensive line coach Reese Morgan (who is moving to defensive line coach in 2012 for whatever reason), but I will say, the New York offensive line has been underrated overall as a unit. They definitely struggled at times during the regular season - especially in run blocking...but really put together a solid run in the playoffs. There really aren't any stars on the offensive line, with guard Chris Snee being the best all-around...and have made due with left tackle on obvious decline in David Diehl (who like the line as a whole, made a rebound for the playoffs). I remember watching Diehl during the regular season and being amazed that he was still starting on Manning's blind side. Free agents signee David Baas missed time with an injury and Kevin Boothe, a guard filled in admirably for him. I guess I would sum it up by saying that this group is unspectacular yet workmanlike and will bring it to you every snap.

    Considering we failed to really groom any young talent outside of Branden Albert under Muir's watch, I think it was definitely a time for change. I am really excited to see Jon Asamoah continue to make progress. If we can add a right tackle (maybe Mike Adams after a trade down in round 1) and a young left guard to groom as Lilja's replacement (Senio Kelemete in round 3 or 4?) and I think we will be in good shape. We also need to address depth along the offensive line.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    242
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    this is a good thing! our weakest point should be addressed now! woo hoo!!!

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,582
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    And maybe he'll bring over someone to plat RT from the Giants.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    794
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    And maybe he'll bring over someone to plat RT from the Giants.
    Kareem McKenzie is a FA with NYG this off-season

    Dude is 32 years old, although he has been really reliable in his 11 years only missing a total of 7 games (regardless of the fact he wasn't active for 8 games his rookie year with the jets)

    Has been a starter since year 2 of his career, and has started every game he has been active in since this time as well.

    I wouldn't mind offering him a 1-2 year contract to play RT, and draft a guy like Zebrie Sanders in round 2...This would allow us to do the Asamoah and Hudson strategy, and plan on Sanders starting in year 2

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Kareem McKenzie is a FA with NYG this off-season

    Dude is 32 years old, although he has been really reliable in his 11 years only missing a total of 7 games (regardless of the fact he wasn't active for 8 games his rookie year with the jets)

    Has been a starter since year 2 of his career, and has started every game he has been active in since this time as well.

    I wouldn't mind offering him a 1-2 year contract to play RT, and draft a guy like Zebrie Sanders in round 2...This would allow us to do the Asamoah and Hudson strategy, and plan on Sanders starting in year 2
    I like it! It keeps McKenzie on point knowing that someone is right there to take his job and either way we have a good backup. It would set up good competition which is what Pioli is preaching that he wants. Plus it would let us use our 1st elsewhere. Actually I really like that idea.

    If we did end up doing that I'd be happy with drafting Decastro in the 1st and then having our line set for years to come. Not only that but I could be the running back and get 4 yards a carry with that!

    Speaking of running backs I have to wonder about taking Trent Richardson. It seems like every year there's another "can't miss" running back that's going to be the next Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, etc. Haven't we neglected our OLine enough that we need to draft some top talent or sign it before we worry about a top tier RB?

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 111

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I like it! It keeps McKenzie on point knowing that someone is right there to take his job and either way we have a good backup. It would set up good competition which is what Pioli is preaching that he wants. Plus it would let us use our 1st elsewhere. Actually I really like that idea.

    If we did end up doing that I'd be happy with drafting Decastro in the 1st and then having our line set for years to come. Not only that but I could be the running back and get 4 yards a carry with that!

    Speaking of running backs I have to wonder about taking Trent Richardson. It seems like every year there's another "can't miss" running back that's going to be the next Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, etc. Haven't we neglected our OLine enough that we need to draft some top talent or sign it before we worry about a top tier RB?
    I have to agree with the sentiment about drafting a RB in the first round. If our OL is upgraded, then maybe. There is a need there, but you can get decent to good RBs in the 3rd or 4th rounds. That having been said, I really hope Richardson is on the board when we pick and someone like Cincinatti really wants him. How awesome would it be to get Cinci's 2 1st round picks (17 and 21 I think) for our 1st and a couple later round picks or swapping our 2nd round picks. We could get a good OG and RT with those two 1st rounders.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I have to agree with the sentiment about drafting a RB in the first round. If our OL is upgraded, then maybe. There is a need there, but you can get decent to good RBs in the 3rd or 4th rounds. That having been said, I really hope Richardson is on the board when we pick and someone like Cincinatti really wants him. How awesome would it be to get Cinci's 2 1st round picks (17 and 21 I think) for our 1st and a couple later round picks or swapping our 2nd round picks. We could get a good OG and RT with those two 1st rounders.
    I hadn't even thought of that but love the idea! Unfortunately we'd probably have to give up our 2nd to compensate them for the value. Wouldn't mind it though because we'd get two first round picks instead of a 1st and 2nd. The more I think about the draft the more I'd really like to see us go with RT and OG with our first two picks. We talk about building through the draft, well here is the chance for Pioli to prove that.

    With that said I think the last time that someone did what I wanted was when I was their manager.


Similar Threads

  1. Chiefs Promote O-line Coach Bill Muir to Offensive Coordinator
    By Ryfo18 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM
  2. Is our defensive line worse then our Offensive Line?
    By figcrostic in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 12:35 AM
  3. Can the Chiefs rebuild a once-dominant offensive line?
    By sling58 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 11:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •