Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: David Garrard : a Pioli-type of acquisition?

Default David Garrard : a Pioli-type of acquisition?

I know quite a few Chiefs fans have images of quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and RGIII dancing in their heads, and while most fans would agree that Matt Cassel isn't the present or long term answer, I just don't see Scott Pioli making a big splash by bringing in a big name in free agency or drafting a quarterback in the early rounds.

A player that I have honestly forgotten about is David Garrard. Now, before I hear a collective sigh from you guys, let me explain why I mention him.

I hate to say it, but I believe that Scott Pioli is still determined to support Matt Cassel as much as possible and I think with keeping Jim Zorn as quarterback coach and bringing in Brian Daboll who like Cassel is from the Patriot family tree and more than likely will have a system Matt is somewhat familiar with, Pioli has shown he is willing to stick with Cassel.

Now, Crennel and Pioli have stated they want to see a competition at quarterback, but I don't see the team bringing in a Manning or drafting a RGIII.

I can see Pioli being interested in bringing in someone like David Garrard. Garrard isn't going to likely command much of a contract and at the age of 34 also likely isn't going to be looking for a starting role promised out of the gate. I would think if the Chiefs showed interest, the opportunity to come to Kansas City and compete with Cassel would be attractive.

Also, Garrard brings experience that could also be viewed as a positive for both Cassel and Ricky Stanzi. Plus, and possibly most importantly, I think Pioli would view Garrard as that veteran presence that would push Cassel, but not really be a threat to push him to the bench. I am definitely not saying I agree with this idea, but I could see it being a definite consideration by Pioli.

I definitely don't think there will be alot of interest in Garrard outside of being a veteran backup, and I think he would bring just enough to the table that should Cassel struggle out of the gate, we wouldn't have another Palko situation...while providing the team with a veteran #2 to let Stanzi continue to gain experience.

Last edited by nicfre2011; 02-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Depending on our other off-season movements I would be interested in one of a few qb's possibly coming in to backup Cassel. David Garrard would be one of them. But then again, I still haven't given up on David Carr or Vince Young. Who knows if given the right circumstances which players could develop into that guy late in their careers to go on to success, right?!

Oh yeah, I also am not interested in losing Orton but we'll have to see what's the haps in the near future. I'm not sold on Stanzi as others are just yet. His name doesn't sound very all-star'ish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post

Oh yeah, I also am not interested in losing Orton but we'll have to see what's the haps in the near future. I'm not sold on Stanzi as others are just yet. His name doesn't sound very all-star'ish to me.
    REALLY? Nobody seems sold on Stanzi. Otherwise, you wouldn't be getting bombarded constantly with the threads about which QB we should draft/acquire.

And his name isn't all-star'ish? That has so little to do with his talent, it's mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    REALLY? Nobody seems sold on Stanzi. Otherwise, you wouldn't be getting bombarded constantly with the threads about which QB we should draft/acquire.

And his name isn't all-star'ish? That has so little to do with his talent, it's mind-boggling.
    Maybe he'll prove me wrong. I know it's kinda dumb, but it really doesn't, but that's just me being me.

Oh, and I agree with you in the case of ChiefsCrowd, but on various other internet locations he is the deal.

If Stanzi was THAT good, he should be pushing Cassell for the start....But that ain't happening. So, at this time, we basically have 2 second string caliber QB's and the funny thing is, Stanzi actually played in college! LMAO So he is a back-up to a high school'er!! ROFLMAO

You so funny...but it's so true!

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    If Stanzi was THAT good, he should be pushing Cassell for the start....But that ain't happening. So, at this time, we basically have 2 second string caliber QB's and the funny thing is, Stanzi actually played in college! LMAO So he is a back-up to a high school'er!! ROFLMAO
    St joe is a place of familiarity for me and most spectatots seemed to think stanzi looked the best i liked what i saw in the pre season. Theres an old saying dont put the cart before the horse. I bet we r 2 yrs away from seeing stanzi on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    St joe is a place of familiarity for me and most spectatots seemed to think stanzi looked the best i liked what i saw in the pre season. Theres an old saying dont put the cart before the horse. I bet we r 2 yrs away from seeing stanzi on the field.
    I think that all depends on who we bring in to "Compete" with Cassel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234