Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled this one out....

Default Pulled this one out....

And now we are 3-3 through the very toughest part of our schedule. It will take 11-5 to make the playoffs, but based on what I have seen through 6 games I see no reason we can't go 8-2 for the rest of the season. Tough, but doable. I think our chances of making the playoffs are better now than they were 3 months ago.

I don't think many people thought that we would be sitting at 3-3 this season has not turned out to be the nightmare that we all thought that it was going be. They have played very well and this young team is growing up before our eyes and today they went out and won a HARD FOUGHT division game on the road that's not easy to do in the NFL.

A couple of seasons ago My Man Hali in a conversation said my response to his pre season thoughts were always the same. Wait and see. This season is just proof of that mindset. I still don't think this team is going to go to the playoffs. But Wait and see. We are not dead until they are officially dead.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    And now we are 3-3 through the very toughest part of our schedule. It will take 11-5 to make the playoffs, but based on what I have seen through 6 games I see no reason we can't go 8-2 for the rest of the season. Tough, but doable. I think our chances of making the playoffs are better now than they were 3 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I don't think many people thought that we would be sitting at 3-3 this season has not turned out to be the nightmare that we all thought that it was going be. They have played very well and this young team is growing up before our eyes and today they went out and won a HARD FOUGHT division game on the road that's not easy to do in the NFL.

A couple of seasons ago My Man Hali in a conversation said my response to his pre season thoughts were always the same. Wait and see. This season is just proof of that mindset. I still don't think this team is going to go to the playoffs. But Wait and see. We are not dead until they are officially dead.
    While I don't think this team is SB bound, I'm still hopeful that we'll sneak in the playoff door and surprise some folks. We've already slogged through the two toughest division games (away games at Denver and SD) and didn't fare too badly. We lost at Denver but I'm pretty sure Denver is grateful that game didn't go on any longer than it did.

Yeah it's a young team, but the part of this team that grew up yesterday wasn't the players. It was the coaching (playcalling). Reid settled down, ran the ball. If it weren't for the drops and Jenkin's out of bounds move, SD might never have gotten the ball in the second half.

Our WR's should be the next batch to grow up. No more drops! If Hemingway had caught that ball, am convinced that SD would've folded right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    While I don't think this team is SB bound, I'm still hopeful that we'll sneak in the playoff door and surprise some folks. We've already slogged through the two toughest division games (away games at Denver and SD) and didn't fare too badly. We lost at Denver but I'm pretty sure Denver is grateful that game didn't go on any longer than it did.

Yeah it's a young team, but the part of this team that grew up yesterday wasn't the players. It was the coaching (playcalling). Reid settled down, ran the ball. If it weren't for the drops and Jenkin's out of bounds move, SD might never have gotten the ball in the second half.

Our WR's should be the next batch to grow up. No more drops! If Hemingway had caught that ball, am convinced that SD would've folded right there.
    If Jenkins wouldn't have went out of bounds SD would have gotten the ball back sooner in the second half...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    The only game we actually deserved to lose was the first one. We could have beaten Denver (at Denver), and should have beaten SF (at SF) "through the very toughest part of our schedule." Ironically both of those games we lost not so much because of the players but for some bonehead sideline decisions by Reid (whom I actually like and appreciate A LOT).

At 5-1 we would have been the talk of the NFL. Maybe the officiating would start going more our way too, for the shear psychology of it. WOW! If in the beginning I was told we'd be .500 after 6 games I'd give him the directions to a good mental hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    If Jenkins wouldn't have went out of bounds SD would have gotten the ball back sooner in the second half...just sayin
    LOL true...Jenkins was takin' it to the house, but put on a little too much side thruster...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    The only game we actually deserved to lose was the first one. We could have beaten Denver (at Denver), and should have beaten SF (at SF) "through the very toughest part of our schedule." Ironically both of those games we lost not so much because of the players but for some bonehead sideline decisions by Reid (whom I actually like and appreciate A LOT).

At 5-1 we would have been the talk of the NFL. Maybe the officiating would start going more our way too, for the shear psychology of it. WOW! If in the beginning I was told we'd be .500 after 6 games I'd give him the directions to a good mental hospital.
    So far this season we have had the toughest schedule in the AFC. The rest of our schedule is the easiest in the AFC. The Chargeless have the opposite going for them. Hopefully we can gain some ground and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Unfortunately I don't think we will catch the Donks. I don't see them losing 3 more games in the regular season.

Glad to see that everyone pretty much feels we have done very well to get to 3-3 at this point in the season.We've had 4 games against some of the better teams in the NFL (Donks, San DiFuego, SF and splats) and we have come out of it 2-2 and we were in contention right up to the end in the other 2 games. I think that is quite an accomplishment for a team that went 2-14 in 2012. And we've done that despite the Bowe suspension and an entire ambulance load of injuries.

What I find the most interesting is that Reid seems to get many of his players to play WAY BEYOND their supposed abilities. I mean look at our team....we've got a ton of guys whose last name is WHO? As in John WHO? We have a lot of players that I think most of us thought of as being little more than deep depth and permanent backups who are out there having a real impacts. That is a real tribute to Reid and the assistant coaches he hired.

Reid is a damned good coach and I agree with the comment made on another thread that he is the best coach we have had since Hank Stram. Marty and DV might have something to say about that statement and a case could be made for either one, but I think Reid has so far done more with less talent than either Marty or DV ever had.

But being a great coach of men does not necessarily make him a genius when it comes to play calling. One would have to be blind not to realize that sometimes Reid just loses his head. As I have said before, I think that is just a matter of his getting too excited. Hopefully that problem will be cured this year or next by hiring someone Reid respects and likes who has the cold bloodedness of an accountant whose job will be to stand next to Reid and simply keep track of the run to pass ratio and restrain Reid when he starts to go all pass happy. Reid loves football and thinks he has the best job in the whole world. And sometimes he just gets carried away with the sheer joy of what he is doing. Find the right man to watch the run to pass ratio and who Reid will listen to and that problem will go away pretty quick.

I'm excited that at this point in the season we still have a legitimate chance of making the playoffs. Not just a "we're not eliminated yet" chance but a real chance. 10-6 probably won't get us there, but 11-5 would and while it won't be easy, I think 11-5 is very possible.

Perhaps the most exciting thing is all those compensatory draft picks we will have next year. By my count we will have 10 or 11 picks in next years draft. That is going to give Dorsey a TON of flexibility. He can trade up in the draft or go looking to trade draft picks for an established player or just load up on young talent for Reid to mold into impact players. Hopefully we'll see a few guys that can legitimately be called Wide Receivers and a couple of guys that can actually stop the run. Some secondary help wouldn't be bad either although what we have has done a very creditable job. Certainly our secondary has played WAY BETTER than I expected so far this season.

So 6 games into the season with the toughest part of our schedule behind us we are 3-3, still have a legitimate shot at the playoffs and have a really exciting draft coming up next year.

THIS IS A FUN TIME TO BE A CHIEFS FAN!!!

About 85% of 10-6 teams make the playoffs, and I think we have a fighting chance. The difference between a very good 6-0 team (last year) and a very good 3-3 team is the schedule. I think it's a more complete team than last year. Last year was no offense/all defense or all offense / no defense. The only thing consistent between this year and last is no downfield passing game. But that's ok, so long as we get down the field in two minutes like this week when needed.

Well the difference between NFL starters and NFL backups are not very much. There are 1000's of players that are not backups even. Granted there is a reason they are backups and not starters but not that much. It happens all the time in the NFL, you see someone gets hurt and it's next person up, so it is not surprising our backups are playing good. But they are playing better than I expected. I think the key is the backup getting the reps in practice during the week, instead of standing on the side watching, that means they are getting coached up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast