Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Stanford Routt

Cool Stanford Routt

NFL Network is reporting Routt has agreed to a 3 year deal with the Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Shortly after hearing the news that the Kansas City Chiefs had signed CB Stanford Routt, the reaction by many fans was that this means the end of the Brandon Carr era in Kansas City.

That's not necessarily the case, Chiefs GM Scott Pioli told Steven St. John and Nate Bukaty on 810 WHB this morning.

"I'll say this," Pioli said, "the signing of Stanford Routt does not impact where we're at with Brandon Carr. As a matter of fact, Romeo [Crennel] and I both reached out to Brandon yesterday as this was unfolding and talked to him. I spoke personally with Brandon, and without getting into the details of that conversation, but he knows, and he's known before, he's someone we want to keep here, and he's still someone we want to keep a Chief.

"This signing doesn't eliminate the feelings that we have for Brandon and how we want to have him here. He knows that. He wants to be here. We want him here. If both sides find a deal that makes sense for one another, we'd love to have Brandon back."

That's true. I believe the Chiefs want him back. But, let's be honest, the Routt signing makes it a lot less likely Carr is going to return.

Stanford Routt: 'I don't see why we can't win'
    "This happens every year," Pioli said, "there's a couple players, or a player or two, that are good, quality players that end up on the street and they're available prior to free agency and you have an opportunity to make a decision or not.

"Knowing where we're at with the cap situation and knowing some of the plans and things that might happen with our roster...we want to try and keep Brandon here. Nothing was done yet so we saw an opportunity with a player on a very fair contract who really wanted to be a Chief. And we thought it would be a good marriage."

Pioli and Carr's camp will continue talking in the hopes of getting something done. I doubt something does happen, but they won't cut off communications.

Pioli also recognized that the Chiefs are playing with fire by signing Routt, who is a former Raider.

"Him being a former Raider," Pioli said of Routt, "we're trying to clean up his life a little bit and get him out here as a Kansas City Chief. We're trying to make an honest man out of him!" (Yes, of course he was kidding.)
    Uummm..Spygate? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    He wants to be here. We want him here. If both sides find a deal that makes sense for one another, we'd love to have Brandon back."
    I found that whole story very encouraging, but particularly the above quote.

I'm afraid Carr is going to get a ridiculously high offer from someone and it just won't make sense for the Chiefs to match it. They have a lot of cap space, but they also have a lot of players to sign.

It's good to see that both sides want Carr to stay in KC, but it still may be a long shot, and at any rate, it's going to be a while before a decision is made.

I'm really glad Pioli had a solid back-up plan.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I found that whole story very encouraging, but particularly the above quote.

I'm afraid Carr is going to get a ridiculously high offer from someone and it just won't make sense for the Chiefs to match it. They have a lot of cap space, but they also have a lot of players to sign.

It's good to see that both sides want Carr to stay in KC, but it still may be a long shot, and at any rate, it's going to be a while before a decision is made.

I'm really glad Pioli had a solid back-up plan.
    Roy..you know that is nothing more than politics!! lol

Of course the Chiefs want him and sure, Carr had rather stay instead of moving..But the $$ Has to be there

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Roy..you know that is nothing more than politics!! lol

Of course the Chiefs want him and sure, Carr had rather stay instead of moving..But the $$ Has to be there
    I understand that, but why do you have to put such a negative spin on it? The same could be said about Kyle Orton, but it isn't being said about him.

I already said getting him to stay was a long shot, but I am encouraged by the fact that they are going to at least try to re-sign Carr.

Don't be such a

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I understand that, but why do you have to put such a negative spin on it? The same could be said about Kyle Orton, but it isn't being said about him.

I already said getting him to stay was a long shot, but I am encouraged by the fact that they are going to at least try to re-sign Carr.

Don't be such a

I agree. Being a Chiefs fan for many years this is the first time in a long time I really have a good feeling about the direction this team is going. Retain Carr we would have an AWESOME backfield, beef up the front lines, competition at QB, injured players back add another solid pass rusher, I can't wait....

One thing to keep in mind is that Carr and Flowers are extremely close friends from what I understand... and Carr has been quoted to want to stay in KC and loves the fans here, and the organization...

Let's hope that Flowers may be able to persuade him to return!

Don't be such a

Roy, I said it with an LOL and here you go again. Jeeesh!

I am more of a realist. It is nothing more than a joust between the player and the ownership. Politics. Like I SAID, I am sure both want it to happen and neither wants to actually say "money is the key" when ALL of us know that is the deciding factor.

Take off the rose-colored glasses

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Roy, I said it with an LOL and here you go again. Jeeesh!
    Oh, I know. My reply was meant in a light-hearted manner, as well. I apologize if it came off harsher than I intended in print.

I was just teasin' you a bit.

Routt and his 4.3 speed would look pretty nice back there at free safety next to Berry...

Berry
    Routt
    Flowers
    Carr
    Arenas

... on the field together the majority of the time. Throw in DJ, Hali, and Houston. You know TJ is there to stay. Just need a young stud ILB and NT to finish off the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Routt and his 4.3 speed would look pretty nice back there at free safety next to Berry...

Berry
    Routt
    Flowers
    Carr
    Arenas

... on the field together the majority of the time. Throw in DJ, Hali, and Houston. You know TJ is there to stay. Just need a young stud ILB and NT to finish off the defense.
    Elite Defense comin' right up

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast