Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stanford Routt

Cool Stanford Routt

NFL Network is reporting Routt has agreed to a 3 year deal with the Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    the only thing i'm worried about with routt is the penaltys, yes its a raider thing but he was one of the worst. I like the move alot and pioli and crennel are smart they arent going to just throw money at people to come here, plus i LOVE having a rival on our team a.k.a. marcus allen and eddie kennison. They always show up again there former teams.
    Does anyone know what his stats were 2 years ago we he had asomugha on the other side of him? It may be the case that he couldn't handle then #1 WRs by himself. Put him against the #2s then maybe he becomes a lock down corner.

I think this was a good move by the front office. Routt MAY not be as good as Carr (or they are equally good #2 CBs. Getting this deal done so early means that we have a lot more flexibility in dealing with Bowe and other free agents.

Good sign! I hope we still sign Carr though!

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I think the Chiefs will make every effort to resign Carr, but it's not up to them, it's up to him. Carr knows he will be a hot commodity in free agency and even if the Chiefs make him the highest offer, that doesn't mean he has to take it.

My hope is that he wants to stay in Kansas City, but I can understand why he would want to see how much money he could make on the open market. He will be among the highest paid players in FA this year and NFL careers are short. He has to strike while the iron is hot.

[Edited to add] My guess is that some team will be desperate enough to over pay Carr by a significant amount (which is probably what he is hoping for). I want to keep him, but not at any cost. I would be willing to overpay a little bit as a reward for his past services, though.

The Chiefs have made a very smart move in securing Routt, and I hope they can get Carr on board, too. But don't expect to hear anything soon.
    Carr will probably go to the Raiders! lol

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Boy, I hope not!

I don't think they can afford him. Isn't that a big part of the reason they released Routt?

If we can't keep him (and I really hope we do), I want him as far away from the Chiefs as possible, preferably in the NFC.

Lets see ...

The Bears weren't real happy with Brandon Meriweather. I wonder if they might want to replace him with another Brandon? ....
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Meant clark. Im a case in brother.
    ...and you didnt call me??
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010chiefs View Post
    I would love to keep him, but he doesn't deserve No.1 CB pay.
    I disagree here. Carr has elevated himself into one of the better cornerbacks in the league, and has pretty much served as a #1 corner for the Chiefs. Before you go correcting me, I know Flowers is better. But the Chiefs, unlike many teams, don't move Flowers around to cover the best WR on the field. Carr gets his fair share of top WR's as well.

Perhaps one of the high points of this season was weeks 11-15 when the Chiefs held the likes of Welker, Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, and Jordy Nelson to a combined 12 receptions for 161 yards and 1 TD. Carr had a lot to do with that, and I have no doubt that he will continue to function as a #1 CB whether he stays or goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Does anyone know what his stats were 2 years ago we he had asomugha on the other side of him? It may be the case that he couldn't handle then #1 WRs by himself. Put him against the #2s then maybe he becomes a lock down corner.

I think this was a good move by the front office. Routt MAY not be as good as Carr (or they are equally good #2 CBs. Getting this deal done so early means that we have a lot more flexibility in dealing with Bowe and other free agents.
    Routt's stats do look somewhat better in 2010. Fewer penalties (11 in 2010 vs 17 in 2011) and a lower QB rating when thrown at (69.0 in 2010, 82.4 in 2011). Plus, he's going to be in a much better "scheme" so to say under Romeo. (Source: ProFootballFocus Subscription Service)

Plus, is there any doubt that his penalty numbers won't go down after he's not a Raider?

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Actually there are some rumblings about Carr going to the Raiders. Some are talking about him going to San Diego though...Bill Williamson among them.

"Will the AFC West cornerback domino continue to fall?

With the Kansas City Chiefs signing cornerback Stanford Routt on Monday, it all but guarantees that Brandon Carr will walk as a free agent. Routt -- who the the Raiders released earlier this month -- signed a three-year, $19.6 million deal with the Chiefs on Monday. Last season the Chiefs signed No. 1 cornerback Brandon Flowers to a five-year, $52 million deal. There is little chance the Chiefs will give Carr, who will likely command $7-9 million a year, a big deal.

With Routt staying in the AFC West, will Carr follow suit? Let’s see if he fits elsewhere in the division.

Denver Broncos: I thought Denver would be the favorite in the division to land Routt, but the Broncos reportedly never had any interest. Carr could pair nicely with the aging Champ Bailey for the short term. The Broncos could then have Carr take over as the No.1 cornerback if Bailey is eventually moved to safety. The Broncos have cap room and I could see them looking at Carr.

Oakland Raiders: Could this situation end with Routt in Kansas City and Carr in Oakland? Sure, but it may be difficult for the Raiders, who still need to get under the salary cap, to win a bidding war. There will be no doubt that Carr will be on the Raiders’ wish list as the cornerback position is Oakland's greatest need. There are several other cornerbacks available though. I could see the Raiders ending up with someone like New Orleans’ Tracy Porter, who played for new Oakland coach Dennis Allen with the Saints, more than Carr.

San Diego Chargers: I think this is the least likely scenario in the division. The Chargers like Antoine Cason and he could get an extension at some point. The Chargers simply have bigger needs to spend big money on this season."

Could Brandon Carr stay in the AFC West? - AFC West Blog - ESPN

First of all I don't think Carr will go to the Raiders because it will cost them, the main reason they cut Routt. Second who's to say with Routt we don't keep Carr? Look at the back field we would have. Man to man coverage would be Awesome! I for one am just going to sit back and see what Pioli and Crennel are up to. This could be a very good off season for the Chiefs and there Fans! One we have been waiting for and wanting for far too long.......

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    First of all I don't think Carr will go to the Raiders because it will cost them, the main reason they cut Routt. Second who's to say with Routt we don't keep Carr? Look at the back field we would have. Man to man coverage would be Awesome! I for one am just going to sit back and see what Pioli and Crennel are up to. This could be a very good off season for the Chiefs and there Fans! One we have been waiting for and wanting for far too long.......
    It would be absolutely awesome to keep Carr. The backfield we'd have would be insane! However I don't see us paying someone 6.3 million a year to ride the pine and play situation downs when last year he was a #1 CB. My problem with this is that Routt got a 3 year contract. He'll be 31 when his contract is up. A year later Flowers contract is up and he'll be 30.

Granted we'll have 3 years to start looking for replacements I just think it's interesting that we didn't get Carr and give him a 5 year contract or something and then either have him for a #2 for a couple of years or put him at a #1 if needs be because of Flowers.

Overall, not a bad signing and I think it'll be interesting to see Routt in a Chiefs uniform.

Shortly after hearing the news that the Kansas City Chiefs had signed CB Stanford Routt, the reaction by many fans was that this means the end of the Brandon Carr era in Kansas City.

That's not necessarily the case, Chiefs GM Scott Pioli told Steven St. John and Nate Bukaty on 810 WHB this morning.

"I'll say this," Pioli said, "the signing of Stanford Routt does not impact where we're at with Brandon Carr. As a matter of fact, Romeo [Crennel] and I both reached out to Brandon yesterday as this was unfolding and talked to him. I spoke personally with Brandon, and without getting into the details of that conversation, but he knows, and he's known before, he's someone we want to keep here, and he's still someone we want to keep a Chief.

"This signing doesn't eliminate the feelings that we have for Brandon and how we want to have him here. He knows that. He wants to be here. We want him here. If both sides find a deal that makes sense for one another, we'd love to have Brandon back."

That's true. I believe the Chiefs want him back. But, let's be honest, the Routt signing makes it a lot less likely Carr is going to return.

Stanford Routt: 'I don't see why we can't win'
    "This happens every year," Pioli said, "there's a couple players, or a player or two, that are good, quality players that end up on the street and they're available prior to free agency and you have an opportunity to make a decision or not.

"Knowing where we're at with the cap situation and knowing some of the plans and things that might happen with our roster...we want to try and keep Brandon here. Nothing was done yet so we saw an opportunity with a player on a very fair contract who really wanted to be a Chief. And we thought it would be a good marriage."

Pioli and Carr's camp will continue talking in the hopes of getting something done. I doubt something does happen, but they won't cut off communications.

Pioli also recognized that the Chiefs are playing with fire by signing Routt, who is a former Raider.

"Him being a former Raider," Pioli said of Routt, "we're trying to clean up his life a little bit and get him out here as a Kansas City Chief. We're trying to make an honest man out of him!" (Yes, of course he was kidding.)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast