Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I love Arrowhead.

Default Why I love Arrowhead.

Homefield reputation

The Chiefs have played at Arrowhead Stadium since 1972.

Further information: Arrowhead Stadium As of the end of the 2006 NFL season, Arrowhead Stadium has a consecutive sell-out record of 141 games (17 seasons) dating back to the home opener in 1990. The Chiefs have a 102-34 home record at Arrowhead stadium since 1990, the best in the NFL.
    Arrowhead has long held a reputation for being one of the loudest outdoor stadiums in the NFL due to the exuberance of the Chiefs' fans.[6][7] Fan generated noise was once measured at 116 decibels[8] by the Acoustical Design Group of Mission, KS.[9][10] This contributes to the unique "atmosphere" of the stadium, for which Sports Illustrated gave the Chiefs' home field, Arrowhead Stadium, the title of being the "Toughest Place to Play" for opposing teams. [11]
    Arrowhead Stadium's tailgating environment is often compared to a "college football" atmosphere,[12] with fans arriving hours before gametime and even staying in the parking lot hours after the game has ended. Many Chiefs fans are so devoted that some sit in the parking lot and listen to the game even while not possessing any tickets.
    National anthem fly-by's have been a tradition throughout sports, but only the Kansas City Chiefs and Arrowhead Stadium have a B-2 Spirit stealth bomber perform this feat. This occurs at most Kansas City games, as the aircraft are based at Whiteman Air Force Base near Knob Noster, Missouri (only about an hour away from the stadium).

[edit] Hospitality

At the end of the "Star Spangled Banner," fans intentionally yell "and the home of the CHIEFS!" where traditionally "the brave" is sung. This has led to some controversy, especially when Chiefs fans attend away games and continue the tradition. Only after the September 11, 2001 attacks did Chiefs fans refrain from doing so in honor of those who lost their lives,[13] and continued to do so for the remainder of the 2001 season. The September 23, 2001 home game versus the New York Giants—the first Kansas City regular season contest since the attacks—was one of the few known times in Chiefs history where the home crowd welcomed an opposing team onto the field without booing.[13]

[edit] "The War Chant"

Fans' occasional use of "The War Chant", especially when playing the Washington Redskins has become a tradition and also a controversy among Native American activists who protest the chant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Default I missed some!

"We're gonna beat the hell outta you"

For numerous years up through the 2005 season, after every Chiefs touchdown, the crowd would chant "We're gonna beat the hell outta you...you...you, you, you, you", over Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll Part 2." The chant has been said to have originated from a similar chant (excluding profanity) from Wichita State University's fans at their now defunct football program's games.
    Beginning with the 2006 season, the Chiefs organization has opted to honor the NFL's request that this song no longer be played at games following Glitter's conviction in Vietnam of child molestation.
    After a vote was taken for the new touchdown song, Chiefs fans chose "Boom" by P.O.D. as the song to replace Glitter's song. "Red" by Sammy Hagar came in second in voting, and "Elevation" by U2 finished third. Though to satisfy fans not willing to lose a tradition, in the first game of the 2006 NFL season, a cover rendition of "Rock and Roll Part 2" performed by the Tube Tops 2000 was played, complete with the "We're gonna..." chant. The song has been played at every home game since.[14][15][16]
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

It's the greatest place on the planet.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

its my home away from my parents place.

80 thousand +, sea of red, bbq, and BEER!

what more can you ask for? its heaven!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post

Yes, it is.

GO CHIEFS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post

I wish we would have gotten the votes for the sliding roof.

I would like to see a Super Bowl played in KC.

Default KC Wolf made Wikipedia!

Mascots

The mascot during the team's glory years at Municipal Stadium and until 1989 was the beautiful pinto horse named Warpaint. During its heyday, the first Warpaint (born 1955) was ridden bareback by rider Bob Johnson who wore full Indian headdress. Warpaint circled the field at the beginning of the game and then did a victory "dance" at each touchdown. The Chiefs are reportedly considering bringing Warpaint back[14] in the near future.
    In 1989 Warpaint was replaced by K.C. Wolf which is a man dressed in a wolf costume. K.C. Wolf was inducted into the Mascot Hall of Fame (MHOF) in 2006. He is nicknamed the 'Grand Daddy" of NFL mascots and he has averaged 350-400 appearances per year for the past 14 years.[18] K.C. Wolf has been portrayed by Dan Meers since the mascot's inception.
    On September 23, 2007 K.C. Wolf aided security guards in taking down a fan who had come on the field. He followed with a display of bodybuilding poses (muscle flexing). This came two minutes into the fourth quarter, just before the game winning touchdown reception by WR Dwayne Bowe to give the Chiefs their first win of the season, 13-10 over the Minnesota Vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I wish we would have gotten the votes for the sliding roof.

I would like to see a Super Bowl played in KC.
    Football is made to be played outside. Without the convenience of putting an umbrella up over the field every time there's a drizzle. This is one thing that gripes me about the NFL. Superbowls should be played in historic venues such as Arrowhead or the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. I'm not saying it has to be outside every year but the fact the the wussy, dome cities get it every year is weak, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    Football is made to be played outside. Without the convenience of putting an umbrella up over the field every time there's a drizzle. This is one thing that gripes me about the NFL. Superbowls should be played in historic venues such as Arrowhead or the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. I'm not saying it has to be outside every year but the fact the the wussy, dome cities get it every year is weak, IMO.
    AMEN TO THAT! i remember seeing the whole snow celebration i think it was in gillete stadium, that was good to see... thats whats football is all about..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    The September 23, 2001 home game versus the New York Giants—the first Kansas City regular season contest since the attacks—was one of the few known times in Chiefs history where the home crowd welcomed an opposing team onto the field without booing

i was at that new york giants game!!! i still have the ticket stub to that game too!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast