Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: chiefs have talked to mannings agent

Default chiefs have talked to mannings agent

Kansas City Radio Hosts Reporting Peyton Manning's Agent, Chiefs Have Been Talking

Feb 23 7:55p by Jeremy Mauss
    Read More: Peyton Manning (QB - IND), Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs
    Peyton Manning is looking to be one of the biggest free agents in a very long time, and of course nearly every NFL team will have some interest in Manning. According to Nick Wright and Bob Fescoe of 610 Sports are both reporting that Manning's agent Tom Condon has spoken with the Chiefs that Manning really could be heading to Kansas City.
    Teams and agents are not to be talking about players are under contract, and this would mean that the Chiefs would be tampering, but Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk points out this happens all the time, especially at the NFL Combine.
    Florio also says why Manning would be a good fit for the Chiefs:

Nick Wright:
    I know a lot of you guys thought I was joking about Peyton to KC being possible, but I'm hearing more and more that it really could happen.

Bob Fescoe:
    Hearing the #chiefs and tom condon have spoken twice abt peyton manning. Told financials a good fit for kc. We shall see what happens

Mike Florio:
    Manning makes sense for the Chiefs for various reasons. They have more than enough cap space, a relatively strong defense, a great young running back in Jamaal Charles, and competent receivers (who'd look a lot better with Peyton Manning throwing the passes). Last year, even after Charles, safety Eric Berry, and tight end Tony Moeaki were lost early to torn ACLs, the Chiefs pulled it together and nearly pulled off a second straight AFC West title.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Sign Manning to an incentive/performance based contract, trade up to get RGIII and resign Orton.

We're all set at quarterback!
    Good Lord!! the Holy Grail! the trifecta. Nice to dream.....sigh.
    I would still like to see Manning throw (a bunch) first. I'm sure they (Pioli, Crennel) will too, if it happens. Manning even @ 75% would be awesome, provided we do something on the Oline too. which we need to do anyway. The last Saint we picked up was pretty good.....

I'm still a little leery of Mannings condition. On the other hand Montana had issues(Chief 31 mentioned it earlier-back surgery) so there's that. The thoughts of a healthy Manning and our receiving corp has me edging close to nervana.(it's spelled nirvana,but it's punnier this way)

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    HOLY SHIP BOYS!!!! Looks like we may be in for a wild-ashed ride in the offseason.....

I get the "feeling" that Hunt/Pioli/Romeo are serious about getting either Manning or Orton.

Next year might be seriously exciting!!!!!!

It WOULD be FUN, wouldn't it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    It WOULD be FUN, wouldn't it!!!!
    Very! Cant wait to see how everything plays out this offseason!!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    He is healthy. He has already been released by physicians to play.

Right now the major concern would be about The Colts, and how that is going to work out.

I figure they will have to let him go, though Peyton may make a move to keep his Colts career alive, but that is yet to become clear.

If he does become a free agent, I think we should take the risk with him.

I think Matt Cassel can be a top QB, given the consistency that most elites QBs get. But Peyton Manning IS an elite QB.

We took a similar chance on Joe Montana, and that worked out very well. We took a similar chance on Willie Roaf, which also paid off very well.

I would have some reservations. But they would not be enough to convince me to pass on Peyton Manning.
    DITTO. Great minds and all that.

I keep hearing static about a "noodle arm,""neck surgery," blah blah blah. This is Peyton freaking MANNING!! It's not like we'd be parking a new Corvette for a beat up Ferrari. Currently, we've got a grimlin in the garage. Hell, even if it were just the hood ornament off the Ferrari, it's STILL better than the grimlin. lol

Like I've said before, Kansas City is the absolute BEST place for Manning to end up. Arizona (Kolb), Seattle, Washington, Miami, etc... none of them have the team the Chiefs do. The Chiefs are an elite QB away from being serious contenders and Peyton Manning presents the best option available to attain one. The Chiefs have the upside, cap space, and open opportunity that no other team can offer. People need to stop asking "where will Peyton go?" and need to start asking "what team can offer a better situation than the Chiefs?"

This of course will send excitement through the arrowhead kingdom if he comes here. (as I will be giddy as well)

The one thing that I won't like, is that the Chiefs have been an under the radar team here recently, since our bout of 2-14 and 4-12 seasons, no one seems to give us much of a chance/ much attention. We are never on ESPN as one of the teams lying in the weeds ready for a playoff run (which I feel we are)

but this persona has helped the Chiefs. We had this "no one respects us" attitude, and it gave us an edge. If Manning comes here, we will see the most media coverage of the Chiefs we have seen in 20 years. Will be nice to get some love, but I hope we still play with that Chip on our shoulder.

A lot of people are saying that, even at 75 or 80%, Manning would be a great QB. I don't agree. If Manute Boll runs a 100 meter dash at 80% speed, he comes in last place instead of first. For Manning to be effective, he has to be able to zip those passes in there before the defense has a chance to react. If he has a "noodle arm," he loses much of that effectiveness. Take away the threat of the deep pass, as well, and it hurts your run game and makes it easier for teams to defend the short passes.

But even if he recovers 100%, I'm not fully convinced that signing him would be a good idea.

Everyone talks about what Peyton could do with this offense, but no one is talking about how this offense would do with Peyton. His offense is very complicated, uses a lot of audibles and requires players to improvise and adjust on the fly. If everybody is not on the same page, the play breaks down.

Peyton was very effective in Indy because he had continuity over time and was only replacing a couple of players each year. Most of the offense knew what to do in any given situation. He also had the right players to make it work.

I think having an entire offense try to learn his system (with the possible exception of Lilja) would take most of a season and we don't know if some of our players would ever learn it. By the time the Chiefs did get it down, they would be out of the playoff hunt.

Add to this the increased risk of re-injury and an offense that has to keep switching back and forth between Manning and Cassel (two very different QBs) and you could be creating more problems than you solve.

Even if he's healthy. Manning doesn't have a lot of years left, and you are doing nothing to address your long term needs at quarterback.

And last, even with an incentive heavy contract, the Chiefs still can't spend any of of those potential performance based bonuses on other players. His maximum potential salary would be counted against the cap.

He is too old, the cost is too high, the potential risk is too high and the potential reward is too low. I think people who want him here just assume he means and automatic Super Bowl, this year, and are not thinking about the future of the team.

If we have to go after a stud QB, I would much rather we do it through the draft. There are a couple of really good QBs out there besides Luck and Griffin. They won't cost a small fortune on their rookie contract and can help out the team for many years to come.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    A lot of people are saying that, even at 75 or 80%, Manning would be a great QB. I don't agree. If Manute Boll runs a 100 meter dash at 80% speed, he comes in last place instead of first. For Manning to be effective, he has to be able to zip those passes in there before the defense has a chance to react. If he has a "noodle arm," he loses much of that effectiveness. Take away the threat of the deep pass, as well, and it hurts your run game and makes it easier for teams to defend the short passes.

But even if he recovers 100%, I'm not fully convinced that signing him would be a good idea.

Everyone talks about what Peyton could do with this offense, but no one is talking about how this offense would do with Peyton. His offense is very complicated, uses a lot of audibles and requires players to improvise and adjust on the fly. If everybody is not on the same page, the play breaks down.

Peyton was very effective in Indy because he had continuity over time and was only replacing a couple of players each year. Most of the offense knew what to do in any given situation. He also had the right players to make it work.

I think having an entire offense try to learn his system (with the possible exception of Lilja) would take most of a season and we don't know if some of our players would ever learn it. By the time the Chiefs did get it down, they would be out of the playoff hunt.

Add to this the increased risk of re-injury and an offense that has to keep switching back and forth between Manning and Cassel (two very different QBs) and you could be creating more problems than you solve.

Even if he's healthy. Manning doesn't have a lot of years left, and you are doing nothing to address your long term needs at quarterback.

And last, even with an incentive heavy contract, the Chiefs still can't spend any of of those potential performance based bonuses on other players. His maximum potential salary would be counted against the cap.

He is too old, the cost is too high, the potential risk is too high and the potential reward is too low. I think people who want him here just assume he means and automatic Super Bowl, this year, and are not thinking about the future of the team.

If we have to go after a stud QB, I would much rather we do it through the draft. There are a couple of really good QBs out there besides Luck and Griffin. They won't cost a small fortune on their rookie contract and can help out the team for many years to come.
    LMFAO!!! I just got the funniest image of "Manute Boll" running a 100-meter dash!!! OH MY GOD!!! THAT WAS FREAKIN HILARIOUS!!!! While I'm sure you meant Hussein Bolt, you DID say Manute Boll (Manute Bol)... a 7'7" center who played in the NBA and looked like the alien who first stepped off the ship in "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind." If Manute Bol had run a 100-meter dash, he probably wouldn't have just lost... he probably would've died. LMAO!!!

Wow... that was funny.

I think all the reports on Manning's "short comings" need to be taken with a grain of salt at the moment. If he gets released, he'll be a free agent. Given his recent health issues, he's not going to command a HUGE price tag. There isn't a whole ton of risk in signing Manning to compete with Cassel. At the very worse, you have one of the most expensive backup QBs in the league... which doesn't kill a team with the kind of cap space the Chiefs have.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    LMFAO!!! I just got the funniest image of "Manute Boll" running a 100-meter dash!!! OH MY GOD!!! THAT WAS FREAKIN HILARIOUS!!!! While I'm sure you meant Hussein Bolt, you DID say Manute Boll (Manute Bol)... a 7'7" center who played in the NBA and looked like the alien who first stepped off the ship in "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind." If Manute Bol had run a 100-meter dash, he probably wouldn't have just lost... he probably would've died. LMAO!!!

Wow... that was funny.

I think all the reports on Manning's "short comings" need to be taken with a grain of salt at the moment. If he gets released, he'll be a free agent. Given his recent health issues, he's not going to command a HUGE price tag. There isn't a whole ton of risk in signing Manning to compete with Cassel. At the very worse, you have one of the most expensive backup QBs in the league... which doesn't kill a team with the kind of cap space the Chiefs have.
    Third times the charm, you must be thinking of Usain Bolt's...Hussein must be the second cousin from overseas. However thinking about Manute taking 6 steps and having completed a 100 meter dash in that time is awesome. lol

Regardless of mistake in people his analogy is sound. No one really seems to have the whole picture behind where Manning is in terms of 0 to 100%. For every report that says he's at 85 or 90% I can find one that says he's at 40%. I've also been hearing rumblings that Manning's agent is wanting guaranteed's not just incentives. Until a decision is made though it's all just speculation.

I'm going to have to agree with Topeka and say that overall going after Manning doesn't seem like that great of an idea, even with the cap space we have. If it's about spending the cap space go out and sign up Carr. It's been said even by the people that don't like Cassel that if you put a great team around him he'll take you to the playoffs. He already has and with a phenomenal team around him my guess is we'd go deep.

As for speaking to Manning's agent unless the Chiefs have gone dumb I'd be highly suspect of this or any story like this. To me reporters talking about the Chiefs talking to Manning's agent and trying to drum up tampering charges against Crennel is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Last edited by OPLookn; 02-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Wow... that was funny.
    Whoops! Yeah, I did mean Usain "lightning" Bolt. I don't know what I was thinking. But if Manute was only 80% of his height ...

I just politely and respectfully disagree. Even if he agrees to, say, $10 million guaranteed and a max (with performance incentives) of $10 million per year, that's still $13.33 million a year for a 3 year contract. That $62 million cap space is already shrinking fast and we still have a lot of FAs to sign this year and a couple to keep next year.

I still think we would be better off with a young, cheap, healthy Tannehill or Weeden (for example) than an old, expensive, banged-up Manning who runs an offense that is totally different from what our personnel is built for. But it's just one man's opinion.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 02-27-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast