Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manning: NOW how much would you pay?...

Default Manning: NOW how much would you pay?...

Let's suppose we do sign Manning, this year. What do you think is a reasonable contract, given the circumstances, and what do you think he would agree to? Here is my thinking:

3 yr deal:
    $10 million signing bonus.
    6 million per year salary
    Additional $500,000 for each game he sarts.

Total (max): 3yrs/$52 million

This would guarantee him $16 million up front, even if he never plays a snap.
    If he starts every game, he gets $14 million per year ($17.33 prorated against the cap).
    He would take home $24 million his first year if he starts every game.

This would protect the Chiefs if it doesn't work out and Manning would be well paid if it does, but not nearly as much as his deal with the Colts would have paid him. If he can't play, we cut him the first year and save $36 million (assuming he doesn't start any games).

Do you think that would be enough to get him and do you think he would take it?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

All I have to add to this is:

Should the Chiefs, or any other team sign him, HE will dead set on making something great happen just to rub it in the Colts face.

With our defense on the rise and the possible addition of line help and a WR and another RB, he is probably drooling to come to the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    He said he's willing to sign a performance based contract. So if he get's injured again (obviously I'd feel bad about his long term health if it's serious) it won't impact us as much money wise.
    He says that, but his agent says he is looking for a certain amount of guaranteed money. That's understandable. Agents are supposed to try and get their client the best possible deal. But even if Peyton is sincere about that (and I have no reason to doubt him) don't you think he will go to the team that offers him the best contract? Unless he gets two or three offers that are very similar, of course.

If we want him, our offer will have to be better than everyone else's. With our cap space, we are in a very good position, should we decide to pursue him, but we will still have to make sacrifices elsewhere. I think the deals that OPLookn and I suggested are competitive without being too risky.

That's what this thread is about. It's not just "what will Peyton accept?" It's also "what will other teams be willing to offer?"

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

While Manning's a hot commodity I hate to bust anyone's bubble, but he hasn't played in a year, and we don't really know yet if that neck injury is going to slow him down.

He's already began to show his age slowing him down a bit. When the Colts were all banged up on injuries in 2010 and missing their starters, and even when they had some of them, he was still showing signs. Game against New England, 3 INTs, against San Diego (missing some starters) threw 4 INTs, OT game against the Dallas Cowboys, he threw 4 INT's (Missing almost all his starters in that one)

I'm not trying to take anything away from Manning, but with that lineup of wide receivers, and the TE Dallas Clark, they also deserve some credit for his success, if he threw all those picks without them.

I really feel like the Colts are screwing him though. That owner wants Luck to come out and start immediately, thinking he is the real deal, but if you resign Manning, you draft Luck and put him on the bench for a few years before a future HoF and he has a better way of learning. The 49ers proved that when they held Steve Young behind Montana for a few years, and then the Packers holding Rodgers on the bench behind Favre until it was time.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    He says that, but his agent says he is looking for a certain amount of guaranteed money. That's understandable. Agents are supposed to try and get their client the best possible deal. But even if Peyton is sincere about that (and I have no reason to doubt him) don't you think he will go to the team that offers him the best contract? Unless he gets two or three offers that are very similar, of course.

If we want him, our offer will have to be better than everyone else's. With our cap space, we are in a very good position, should we decide to pursue him, but we will still have to make sacrifices elsewhere. I think the deals that OPLookn and I suggested are competitive without being too risky.

That's what this thread is about. It's not just "what will Peyton accept?" It's also "what will other teams be willing to offer?"
    Obviously money is still a factor, but we DO have a dcent amount of cap space. I was just saying he won't cost as much if he doesnt perform, but the chance he plays well is high.

He's going to want his contract guaranteed and he will get it from some team.
    The Chiefs are Back!

Here's the thing, Manning will get cut next week but will not be ready to show what he can fully do just yet. So how long does a team sit and wait? Of course a lot will have to do with the interview process which hey, it's Peyton Manning, I'm hoping he will be up front and honest. I can only assume it will be awhile before he can be ready to show his full ability.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Here's the thing, Manning will get cut next week but will not be ready to show what he can fully do just yet. So how long does a team sit and wait? ...
    And that is exactly the problem. You can't wait for him to get healthy because another team will snatch him up. You will have to sign him before he has recovered and cross your fingers.

And the reports on his progress are all over the map.

He has hit a plateau and is not getting any better.
    Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that “people close” [to] Peyton Manning [say he] will be unable to resume his career after his progress has hit a plateau.

Cole writes that Manning’s nerves in his arm are not healing as fast as doctors believed they would which has left him with limited velocity when throwing the ball. (source)
    He's coming along just fine.
    “It’s marked (improvement) from where he was back in September,” Polian said. “He threw it accurately, he threw it with a good, tight spiral, and he threw it with velocity.

“Generally, he looked like a pretty confident quarterback out there.” (source)
    He can't throw the ball.
    “I think it’s unrealistic to assume (he can return). He can’t throw the ball,” Lombardi said. “I’ve talked to people who’ve caught the ball for him. He can’t throw the ball to his left. He can’t throw the ball across his body, because he doesn’t feel it. People who catch the ball for him say he doesn’t really have velocity on the ball yet.” (source)
    I guess people will believe whoever they want to believe, but I would prefer to have more of a consensus on his condition before I take a chance on him, and I don't think we will get that in time.

So to me, he's not really worth the time or the trouble. Let's say KC sign's him and is unable to play at the start of the season. All that time is lost. Lost opportunities to have another QB to compete with Cassel. I really don't see us going after Manning, will we look at him? I'm sure we will. RG3, The cost could hurt us over the next couple of years but yes I would take him and hope for a really good FA. Long term I feel Flynn would be a much better investment then Manning and I know many here would not agree. Manning is a short term fix as well as a high risk.

Quote Originally Posted by TecmoNightmare View Post
    I don't know really, but I think a team is going to pay a lot for Manning.
    If Washington gets in the race we and everyone else will lose the bidding war. I'm still leery of the fact that he can still play. Time will tell.
    Last edited by AkChief49; 03-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Why doesn't someone ask Peyton Mannning about his progress? Unless he is trying to milk some $$$$ out of some team, he would be the likely source to give an answer in which someone (he, himself) would be accountable for.
    Last edited by dbolan; 03-02-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: crappy spelling lmao

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast