Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manning: NOW how much would you pay?...

Default Manning: NOW how much would you pay?...

Let's suppose we do sign Manning, this year. What do you think is a reasonable contract, given the circumstances, and what do you think he would agree to? Here is my thinking:

3 yr deal:
    $10 million signing bonus.
    6 million per year salary
    Additional $500,000 for each game he sarts.

Total (max): 3yrs/$52 million

This would guarantee him $16 million up front, even if he never plays a snap.
    If he starts every game, he gets $14 million per year ($17.33 prorated against the cap).
    He would take home $24 million his first year if he starts every game.

This would protect the Chiefs if it doesn't work out and Manning would be well paid if it does, but not nearly as much as his deal with the Colts would have paid him. If he can't play, we cut him the first year and save $36 million (assuming he doesn't start any games).

Do you think that would be enough to get him and do you think he would take it?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Why doesn't someone ask Peyton Mannning about his progress? Unless he is trying to milk some $$$$ out of some team, he would be the likely source to give an answer in which someone (he, himself) would be accountable for.
    If teams start talking to him now its tampering.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    If teams start talking to him now its tampering.
    Really? lol

It does not have to be a "team" to ask the questions. Say, maybe an interview with Bob Costas or another sports personality.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Let's suppose we do sign Manning, this year. What do you think is a reasonable contract, given the circumstances, and what do you think he would agree to? Here is my thinking:

3 yr deal:
    $10 million signing bonus.
    6 million per year salary
    Additional $500,000 for each game he sarts.

Total (max): 3yrs/$52 million

This would guarantee him $16 million up front, even if he never plays a snap.
    If he starts every game, he gets $14 million per year ($17.33 prorated against the cap).
    He would take home $24 million his first year if he starts every game.

This would protect the Chiefs if it doesn't work out and Manning would be well paid if it does, but not nearly as much as his deal with the Colts would have paid him. If he can't play, we cut him the first year and save $36 million (assuming he doesn't start any games).

Do you think that would be enough to get him and do you think he would take it?
    Money-wise, that would work out well for Peyton...But for the Chiefs?...

Okay, if signing Peyton became a MUST...here's what I'd change. The "money upfront" (16 million)....I'd change that to 6 million guaranteed upfront if he signs, but gets an additional 10 million automatically if the Chiefs win a playoff game at home. The Chiefs could offset the hit with the extra revenue from the playoff game.

If Peyton is truly in this for more championships, he'd sign it. If he didn't, that'd be saying something, too. Good luck and good health to wherever he goes.

I've never bought into the hype anytime anyone says "for a limited time only!". It's like those car commercials that say four grand extra off but only for this weekend! You can't bargain with a place good enough in a weekend to offset the four grand. A good deal is a good deal and 99 times out of a 100 there isn't a timeline associated with it.

I hope the Chiefs take time to do due diligence...to a point but please don't buy into the hype. People, corporations and teams over pay when they feel they have to get something now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Money-wise, that would work out well for Peyton...But for the Chiefs?...

Okay, if signing Peyton became a MUST...here's what I'd change. The "money upfront" (16 million)....I'd change that to 6 million guaranteed upfront if he signs, but gets an additional 10 million automatically if the Chiefs win a playoff game at home. The Chiefs could offset the hit with the extra revenue from the playoff game.

If Peyton is truly in this for more championships, he'd sign it. If he didn't, that'd be saying something, too. Good luck and good health to wherever he goes.

I don't think that would be a good enough offer to get him. He might be ok with it, but I'm sure another team would offer him more upfront/guaranteed money than that. And, IF he is healthy, he deserves it.

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I've never bought into the hype anytime anyone says "for a limited time only!". It's like those car commercials that say four grand extra off but only for this weekend! You can't bargain with a place good enough in a weekend to offset the four grand. A good deal is a good deal and 99 times out of a 100 there isn't a timeline associated with it.

I hope the Chiefs take time to do due diligence...to a point but please don't buy into the hype. People, corporations and teams over pay when they feel they have to get something now.
    I agree with you, in principle here. But there is no sales pitch to this. The only motivation for selling the lemon would be Peyton trying to rob some team, and I find that to be a very likely prospect.

And there is not a lot full of Peyton Manning's here. There is one. And there is only one time in his career where a team will have a chance to acquire that one, since draft day.

Nobody needs to pressure this sale. Everybody knows the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I agree with you, in principle here. But there is no sales pitch to this. The only motivation for selling the lemon would be Peyton trying to rob some team, and I find that to be a very likely prospect.

And there is not a lot full of Peyton Manning's here. There is one. And there is only one time in his career where a team will have a chance to acquire that one, since draft day.

Nobody needs to pressure this sale. Everybody knows the terms.
    Agreed. This is not like getting offered a great deal on a Ferrari. It's more like being invited to an auction for a one-of-a-kind Picasso.

Only with Manning's current condition, I have another analogy that I think fits as well.

It's like that cable show where everyone gets 30 seconds to see what is inside a storage locker and then it is auctioned off to the highest bidder!

I know this would never really happen, but I have an idea how Peyton could become the most respected athlete of all time.

After he is released from the Colts he could say. "Look. It's no secret that I am not 100%, yet, but I fully expect to make a complete recovery, so here is what I am going to do:

"Everyone who is interested in signing me is welcome to submit an offer, but I promise you that I won't make a decision until after June 1. At that time you will have an opportunity to evaluate my progress, and if you wish to rescind your offer --- or sweeten it --- you may do so."

This would give Manning nearly another 90 days to continue to improve, and, if he does, his value would only go up. Teams that are interested in him would be able to make a more informed decision, and wouldn't be gambling nearly as much.

The only downside for Manning would be that if he doesn't continue to improve, his value would go way down. But he doesn't need the money; he just wants to win another Super Bowl. If he truly believes that he can play again, he shouldn't have any problem doing this.

What do you think?

Edit to add: I thought of some serious problems with this idea, right after I hit "post reply." But I will wait to hear from you before I share my thoughts.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 03-02-2012 at 11:03 PM.

If what in the press is to be believed and it ends up being an all-out bidding war, I think we should step back and sign someone who is guaranteed to challenge Cassel in every game this season.

Sure, Manning is a top quality QB (or at least has been), but paying over the odds for someone not certain to play could have a detrimental affect on the team.

So I guess it depends as to where he's at physically (do you have medical tests done before signing players over here?), how much his agent is saying other teams are offering and could we find a suitable challenger for Cassel for substantially less money.

I'm not averse with amounts players get paid, so excuse me if I'm being a little naive.
    GARBAGE DAY!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast