Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dontari Poe

Default Dontari Poe

I know everyone thinks we need to move up and get RGIII or draft DeCastro or Martin from Stanford...but how about we sure up our d-line and get the NT that we have been lacking since switching to the 3-4. Has anyone seen what Dontari Poe did at the combine? He is 346 lbs and ran a 4.98 40 yard dash. He also pumped out 44 reps on the bench. Comparing this guy to Haloti Ngata from the Ravens and he is bigger, faster, stronger, and performed better in every aspect of the combine except vertical jump.

What do you guys think about taking Poe with the 11th pick?

i think everyone agrees that at 11 u shold take a sure thing. poe woukd he a reach but not by much. it just depends if the chiefs think they can keep him motivated. but at #11 there is going to be someone that slips out of the top ten and going to be a sure thing. which is why were in a goood place to trade down if we want. but i woukdnt trade down past 18

Not at 11, for me.

What about Aubrayo Franklin? Hes a FA
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

We need a 0-technique NT, that can occupy 2 gaps, be double teamed all the time. I recently read that Poe isn't that guy (he certainly could be in a future). 0-tech NT is very technical, as much as physical. Last season we had in Gregg a true 0-tech NT, but I think we could get better as a bigger guy can be starting. I really hope Powe had learned, but I think one year is a very short time to fully understand that position.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Default Look at Antonio Garay

Antonio Garay presents an opportunity for the Chiefs to improve their defensive line. They should try to sign him from the Chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by eggersonian View Post
    Antonio Garay presents an opportunity for the Chiefs to improve their defensive line. They should try to sign him from the Chargers.
    I don't think he can fit in Chiefs defense.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Default Poe

Poe is projected to be a 3-4 DE because he is not physical enough. Despite what people seem to think technique is extremely important for all linemen (offense and defense) including NT. Sue only did 225 lb 32 times in the bench press yet many ppl view him like he's the strongest DL you can find. If NT what nothing more than size we would see guys from world's strongest man playing in the NFL but we don't for a reason. Poe at that size doesn't have the technique and doesn't get low enough to be a starting NT in the NFL. His size and film alone without knowing his combine scores would suggest he go in the 2nd to 3rd round. PS: Jared Crick out of Nebraska will some day be a starting 3-4 DE in the NFL, he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick
    Last edited by HaliForPresident; 03-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaliForPresident View Post
    Poe is projected to be a 3-4 DE because he is not physical enough. Despite what people seem to think technique is extremely important for all linemen (offense and defense) including NT. Sue only did 225 lb 32 times in the bench press yet many ppl view him like he's the strongest DL you can find. If NT what nothing more than size we would see guys from world's strongest man playing in the NFL but we don't for a reason. Poe at that size doesn't have the technique and doesn't get low enough to be a starting NT in the NFL. His size and film alone without knowing his combine scores would suggest he go in the 2nd to 3rd round. PS: Jared Crick out of Nebraska will some day be a starting 3-4 DE in the NFL, he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick
    I'd be on board with trading down and getting another couple picks and picking up Crick with one of them. He tore his pectoral muscle last year but that's healed. Guy was a good opposite Suh and shined once Suh left Nebraska. But if we pick him up to me it says that Dorsey is gone after this year.

stay at 11 and take decastro or trade down and take devon still, better choice than poe..has proven himself stout against the run and gets into the backfield harassing the QB and usually gets a double team. can play NT or even DE in a 3-4
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Pioli did such a great job in the FA that Poe isn't such a stretch at 11, I'd prefer to trade down to 20 and get an extra pick or two but I would not be irate if we got Poe at 11.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast