Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 66

Thread: Dontari Poe

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 26

    Default Dontari Poe


    0 Not allowed!
    I know everyone thinks we need to move up and get RGIII or draft DeCastro or Martin from Stanford...but how about we sure up our d-line and get the NT that we have been lacking since switching to the 3-4. Has anyone seen what Dontari Poe did at the combine? He is 346 lbs and ran a 4.98 40 yard dash. He also pumped out 44 reps on the bench. Comparing this guy to Haloti Ngata from the Ravens and he is bigger, faster, stronger, and performed better in every aspect of the combine except vertical jump.

    What do you guys think about taking Poe with the 11th pick?

  2. #21
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    overland park ks
    Posts
    1,825
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    No, he should be making tackles as well. Wilfork had 63 last season. You should be tackling anyone that runs up the middle, otherwise the hole has not been plugged.

    I just dont buy into the leap in draft stock from one good day at the combine. This guy was not going anywhere in the first round before the combine. did people just now realize he is strong and fast?? Sounds like poor scouting if he went under everyones radar. I just dont see how a good day at the combine changes everyones mind that drastically when we clearly need a new RT and there are a TON more players available there who have PROVEN they are good on the football field as well as having a good combine. To much risk with our #1 pick IMO
    Isn't the purpose of the NT to be a big strong guy that plugs holes and gets double teamed allowing LB's and DE's to be freed up to go after the QB? If so wouldn't the combine be a great indication of this. I understand a position like a QB, CB, WR, etc. that take a great amount of skill but the NT is basically a big bodied guy he's not going to be covering WR's he's going to jam up holes and smash centers to the ground, so strength and speed are great indicators. Also like many people have stated this guy's only issue is his technique which is a coaching issue.

  3. #22
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs fanatic View Post
    I wouldn't use a first round pick on him. His lack of production is a big drawback even if he has great measurables.
    In a 3-4 defense the front line rarely has major production. Their job is to get double teamed so the LB'ers can come in and rack up the numbers. Poe has to be double teamed regularly to keep him out of the backfield. This is exactly what a team wants in a NT. Would 11 be to early to take a NT? Not if it completes the D for years to come.

  4. #23
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    overland park ks
    Posts
    1,825
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    In a 3-4 defense the front line rarely has major production. Their job is to get double teamed so the LB'ers can come in and rack up the numbers. Poe has to be double teamed regularly to keep him out of the backfield. This is exactly what a team wants in a NT. Would 11 be to early to take a NT? Not if it completes the D for years to come.

  5. #24
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    105
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    In a 3-4 defense the front line rarely has major production. Their job is to get double teamed so the LB'ers can come in and rack up the numbers. Poe has to be double teamed regularly to keep him out of the backfield. This is exactly what a team wants in a NT. Would 11 be to early to take a NT? Not if it completes the D for years to come.
    I'm aware that it is not the NT's job to record a lot of tackles but I'd still expect his numbers to be higher playing in C-USA and he was only named to second team in the conference. Somewhere I read in an article that his effort isn't always great and that he takes an abnormally high amount of plays off. He might turn out to be a great player but at this point I'm skeptical and I don't like to have doubts about our 1st round pick.

  6. #25
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,504
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 61

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs fanatic View Post
    I'm aware that it is not the NT's job to record a lot of tackles but I'd still expect his numbers to be higher playing in C-USA and he was only named to second team in the conference. Somewhere I read in an article that his effort isn't always great and that he takes an abnormally high amount of plays off. He might turn out to be a great player but at this point I'm skeptical and I don't like to have doubts about our 1st round pick.
    I think your concerns about Poe's effort and work ethic are well founded. From what I have read about him (and that's not a lot) he has all the tools to be an elite player. He doesn't always "play until the whistle" and is easy to take with out with a chop block. He needs to work on his technique.

    His stats don't really concern me as much as his attitude does. Quite often good coaching can take a player with raw physical skills and develop them into great players, but there is no guarantee. It just depends on how much effort the player is willing to put in.

    Maybe Poe is just bored playing in C-USA and will do what it takes to be great when he starts facing great opponents. Or maybe he will get lazy once he gets his big payday.

    I think Poe has high potential and is a high risk. If you are a gambling man, you weigh the risk against the reward. So the question is, "does the potential reward outweigh the risk?" At #11 I'm not sure. In the mid twenties or so, yeah, I would probably pull the trigger.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    MatthewsChiefs can't stand MatthewsChiefs

  7. #26
    Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I think your concerns about Poe's effort and work ethic are well founded. From what I have read about him (and that's not a lot) he has all the tools to be an elite player. He doesn't always "play until the whistle" and is easy to take with out with a chop block. He needs to work on his technique.

    His stats don't really concern me as much as his attitude does. Quite often good coaching can take a player with raw physical skills and develop them into great players, but there is no guarantee. It just depends on how much effort the player is willing to put in.

    Maybe Poe is just bored playing in C-USA and will do what it takes to be great when he starts facing great opponents. Or maybe he will get lazy once he gets his big payday.

    I think Poe has high potential and is a high risk. If you are a gambling man, you weigh the risk against the reward. So the question is, "does the potential reward outweigh the risk?" At #11 I'm not sure. In the mid twenties or so, yeah, I would probably pull the trigger.
    In my mind, 11 is a high enough pick that you should still be taking a "sure thing"

  8. #27
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    overland park ks
    Posts
    1,825
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebigmac09 View Post
    In my mind, 11 is a high enough pick that you should still be taking a "sure thing"
    purely speculation but i'm thinking if we trade down to 20 and get a second round pick we Poe would available

  9. #28
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,552
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 162

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    A lot of the mocks I saw before the combine had him going at the end of the 1st round. Now they are putting him at around 10-18. So, it doesn't seem like too much of a jump. That having been said, I would consider him if we traded back 10 picks or so and didn't pick up a NT in free agency. But I would rather have a proven NT like Soliai from Miami.

  10. #29
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs fanatic View Post
    I'm aware that it is not the NT's job to record a lot of tackles but I'd still expect his numbers to be higher playing in C-USA and he was only named to second team in the conference. Somewhere I read in an article that his effort isn't always great and that he takes an abnormally high amount of plays off. He might turn out to be a great player but at this point I'm skeptical and I don't like to have doubts about our 1st round pick.
    Wasn't aware of the level of effort that Poe does or doesn't contribute. That gives me a bit of pause. I'd agree that you want a sure thing with your first round pick. I'd always want a sure thing with my first rounder. But the same thing was said about Raji when he came out. Overweight, took plays off, etc. That is the real question though, was he bored or is he lazy?

    As I've said before we have lots of things we need so it'd be hard to make me upset with any pick.

  11. #30
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Isn't the purpose of the NT to be a big strong guy that plugs holes and gets double teamed allowing LB's and DE's to be freed up to go after the QB? If so wouldn't the combine be a great indication of this. I understand a position like a QB, CB, WR, etc. that take a great amount of skill but the NT is basically a big bodied guy he's not going to be covering WR's he's going to jam up holes and smash centers to the ground, so strength and speed are great indicators. Also like many people have stated this guy's only issue is his technique which is a coaching issue.
    Im sure I heard the same thing about Ryan Sims. If being big and strong is all it takes to play NT, then there would be tons of them around. I just find it curious that people are putting more emphasis on his good one day workout over his 4 year college career. I like a guy who had a good combine AND a good college career. Im not saying the guy isnt gonna be a beast, but we clearly need more help on the offensive side of the line, there are a ton more proven O linemen in the draft. I would rather take a RT to replace Barry Richardson (who was ranked the worst football player in the league last year) and sign a FA NT. But if you think taking a flyer with our #1 pick on a big guy who had a good combine then all the power to you.

    FYI I know the job of a NT is to take on a double team to LBs can go at the QB, but the NT is also instrumental in stopping the run...if you cant tackle then all you are doing is helping to create a great big running lane up the middle.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •