Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dontari Poe

Default Dontari Poe

I know everyone thinks we need to move up and get RGIII or draft DeCastro or Martin from Stanford...but how about we sure up our d-line and get the NT that we have been lacking since switching to the 3-4. Has anyone seen what Dontari Poe did at the combine? He is 346 lbs and ran a 4.98 40 yard dash. He also pumped out 44 reps on the bench. Comparing this guy to Haloti Ngata from the Ravens and he is bigger, faster, stronger, and performed better in every aspect of the combine except vertical jump.

What do you guys think about taking Poe with the 11th pick?

I saw him at the combine too. If they drafted him he'd be a great NT. Although if they can't get some big names in free agency if rather draft someone else

I'd like to see this fella develop on our team if we can get him somewhere's in the range of 33rd to 76th overall if available. Workout warrior?! The guy looks like a monster gap filler. It would be nice to have this guy looking down the o-line ready to plug up our gaps imo.

Hes 346 lbs, Ran his 40 in 4.96 secs, 44 reps on the bench. 15 tackles. Sounds like a guy who performs at the combine and not so much on the field. If they take him i agree it should be later in the 2nd round.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

You can't teach strength and athleticism but later rounds would be better.

Unfortunately this guy isn't going to make it out of the 1st round. To many people in the second half of the 1st need a DT or NT. If we aren't using the 11th pick on him or trade back 4 or 5 spots Poe will not be on our roster.

Some people are mocking him as a top 15 pick now. So low chance that we pick him up ... unless we lock up a RT and LG in FA, then I wouldnt mind the pick.

He only has 15 tackles...the point of a NT in the 3-4 is to plug holes for the LBs to make plays and not for the NT to be leading the team in tackles...seems like he did and can do a pretty good job at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bortnem View Post
    He only has 15 tackles...the point of a NT in the 3-4 is to plug holes for the LBs to make plays and not for the NT to be leading the team in tackles...seems like he did and can do a pretty good job at that.
    The other benefit is that he's super fast/athletic for his size. I don't think a guy that big and that fast will ever be covered by just one guy. I think it'll take at least two and those guys would be pushed back due to Poe getting off the ball and being that strong/fast. I'm torn now that I've seen his results and with him our D would be extremely young and we could go into a maintain mode or just continue to bring in guys that we can develop or challenge starters which is where you want a team.

I'd much rather discuss who should be starting then about who we need to draft or get in free agency to fill a hole. However, while I wouldn't mind Poe I think we need to go OLine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bortnem View Post
    No, he should be making tackles as well. Wilfork had 63 last season. You should be tackling anyone that runs up the middle, otherwise the hole has not been plugged.

I just dont buy into the leap in draft stock from one good day at the combine. This guy was not going anywhere in the first round before the combine. did people just now realize he is strong and fast?? Sounds like poor scouting if he went under everyones radar. I just dont see how a good day at the combine changes everyones mind that drastically when we clearly need a new RT and there are a TON more players available there who have PROVEN they are good on the football field as well as having a good combine. To much risk with our #1 pick IMO
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I wouldn't use a first round pick on him. His lack of production is a big drawback even if he has great measurables.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast