Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Default Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Sporting News is reporting that there is a lot of interest in USC's Matt Kahlil coming from Chiefs camp, and that there is talk that if the prospect falls past the Vikings, that the Chiefs are serious about moving up to #4 to draft him.

The report says the move makes sense, seeing as Albert only has 1 year left on his contract. The draft move would then cause a shift on the line, and have Albert move inside to LG.

We would then have a year to decide to re-sign Albert for the long term to man the LG position, or let him walk and still have Kahlil at a more reasonable salary.

What are the thoughts on this report?

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Not Sure?

i say no cuz i think it will cost to much to move up that high.

When I first heard it, I was kinda sketchy about the move, but then I got excited...

The thing that gets me excited about this...Teams don't trade up for players like that unless they feel they are close to competing for a championship and can afford to move up for that 1 player (Atlanta and Julio Jones) or they feel they are in desparate need of some talent (like trading up for a QB)

I don't see the Chiefs thinking they are in desperate need on talent...

So it makes me happy to see that Pioli and company are confident enough to make a move for a player they could see pushing us over the top...A few years ago we had to focus on "Quantity" of picks, we had lots of holes to fill. Now It's nice to see we can shift to focusing on "Quality" picks, and not necessarily worry about having picks in all 7 rounds.

It would get KC excited to see the Chiefs Brass, know what they want, and go after it. Just imagine if we do, and they do move Albert inside (I've been against this for a long time, but Matt Kahlil wasn't available then, and Albert still had more years left on his contract)

Makes sense... Albert gets 1 more year to show how productive he can be at OG (and I think he can) and we re-sign him long-term if it works out, if not we let him walk, and my thoughts are we will see an interior lineman join our roster this year that will be the plan to succeed whomever vacates the LG spot in the next two years. Just imagine a line of Kahlil, Albert, Hudson, Asamoah, and Winston...WOW 3 of five could be pro bowlers at their positions next year! (I think Albert could be a Pro Bowl OG)

I'm liking the looks of that!

We'll maybe this might start looking more likely, Just read this on NFL.com

Leslie Frazier: Left tackles like Matt Kalil aren't 'game-changers'

Sounding like the Vikings may not be taking Kalil, more likely he ends up here???

I don't know about this one. I'd rather take DeCastro at 11 and not give up any picks. But what if we stand pat and miss out on both players? Do you go defense and take Kuechly, or trade down and get more picks?

It sure would be nice to know exactly what teams 3-10 are going to do!

According to the draft value chart, trading up from 11 (1250) to 4 (1800) would cost us our 2nd (540), 4th (78) and 7th pick (10). Is Kalil really worth 4 of our 7 picks? I can only see doing this, maybe, if we know for sure that DeCastro will be gone before 11. Even then it seems like an awful lot to give up.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    We'll maybe this might start looking more likely, Just read this on NFL.com

Leslie Frazier: Left tackles like Matt Kalil aren't 'game-changers'

Sounding like the Vikings may not be taking Kalil, more likely he ends up here???
    That seems like something that's just talk. But then again it's not like they're worried about someone moving ahead of them to take Kalil. Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I don't know about this one. I'd rather take DeCastro at 11 and not give up any picks. But what if we stand pat and miss out on both players? Do you go defense and take Kuechly, or trade down and get more picks?

It sure would be nice to know exactly what teams 3-10 are going to do!

According to the draft value chart, trading up from 11 (1250) to 4 (1800) would cost us our 2nd (540), 4th (78) and 7th pick (10). Is Kalil really worth 4 of our 7 picks? I can only see doing this, maybe, if we know for sure that DeCastro will be gone before 11. Even then it seems like an awful lot to give up.
    If we stay put at 11 and DeCastro and Kuechley are both gone I'm bailing out of the 11 spot!

If that is the case I would rather trade back into the mid to late 20s and take a guy like Donta' Hightower or Cordy Glenn.

Believe me, I am a big fan of trading back as well, it was just a surprise to hear these rumors about trading up (which Pioli did say could be a possibility in his pre-draft press conference last week)

I feel like I've heard this somewhere before....

Albert won't be moved to OG.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    According to the draft value chart, trading up from 11 (1250) to 4 (1800) would cost us our 2nd (540), 4th (78) and 7th pick (10).
    I actually did the math wrong here. It would only take the 2nd and 7th pick (550 pts). That would still give us 4 picks in rounds 3-6.

But I agree, Jrudi. If DeCastro and Kuechly are both gone at 11, then you have to trade down. But if we trade up to get Kalil, then it won't matter who is there at 11.

I'd rather trade down and gain picks than trade up and lose them. You can get some good value in later rounds. We only have a big need at 2 positions, OT and NT. The rest of our picks can be BPA / depth picks. That's a pretty good position to be in!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast