Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best fit for Matt Flyn according to NFL Network

Default Best fit for Matt Flyn according to NFL Network

According to NFL Network Miami is the best fit for Flyn. If they sign him, we get a better shot at Manning due to Miami also being a contender for him.

I will come out and say I am a Cassel supporter. I dont think he is the greatest QB, but I dont think that he is nearly as bad as most people make him out to be. I think he is good enough to take our team at least deep into the playoffs, and to lead this team LONG TERM (next 5-6 years). A healthy Manning would only serve us for 2 years MAYBE 3. I am not on board with the Manning idea until I am convinced that Manning can accuratley throw the ball with velocity (which would require me seeing video of it to be convinced).

Did Cassel have a bad year? Yes. Has he had the best opportunities to succeed? No. He has had more than 1 different offensive coordinator every year he has been here (2 his first year). Last year was the lockout, and who knows what Haley had his hands mixed into. From what it sounds like, Haley was screwing with things all over the place. To me, the offensive mindset changed completely once Haley was out of the mix. Unfortunately, Cassel was already injured by that time. I think he looked great the year before, when Weiss was O. C. I think Cassel was a good leader in the past, and was able to get the team to rally around him. In 2 minute drills against various teams, he seemed to do quite well in my opinion.

I think with better playcalling OR OL blocking and we will see a vastly improved offense. Improve the OL AND the playcalling and we will be dominating on offense. Both in the passing game with Cassel AND on the ground.

I have been quiet about supporting Cassel lately, because honestly, no one wants to hear it and everyone seems dead set on moving away from it. That and more people are interested in talking about other players/issues.

Is he better than Manning? Until I hear clear confirmation that Manning is capable of throwing deep passes and with good velocity, then yes, Id rather have Cassel.

Is Cassel better than Flynn? I honestly dont know, and would rather go with someone who knows our players and has been a leader on this team in the past, than someone completely new.

Is Cassel better than Orton? I think they are about the same. Each has his strengths and weaknesses, but overall I think it is a wash. Orton cant get it done in the red zone as well as Cassel has with our players.

Is Cassel better than Campbell, Henne, any other FAs out there? Yes. Id take Cassel over these guys easily.

Is Cassel better than RG3/Luck/Tannehill/Weeden/other rookie? Yes. Maybe in 3-4 years, that answer will be different, but when was the last time a rookie QB took his team to the playoffs, let alone Superbowl? I think Cassel has a better chance to make us competitive in the playoffs NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I will come out and say I am a Cassel supporter. I dont think he is the greatest QB, but I dont think that he is nearly as bad as most people make him out to be. I think he is good enough to take our team at least deep into the playoffs, and to lead this team LONG TERM (next 5-6 years). A healthy Manning would only serve us for 2 years MAYBE 3. I am not on board with the Manning idea until I am convinced that Manning can accuratley throw the ball with velocity (which would require me seeing video of it to be convinced).

Did Cassel have a bad year? Yes. Has he had the best opportunities to succeed? No. He has had more than 1 different offensive coordinator every year he has been here (2 his first year). Last year was the lockout, and who knows what Haley had his hands mixed into. From what it sounds like, Haley was screwing with things all over the place. To me, the offensive mindset changed completely once Haley was out of the mix. Unfortunately, Cassel was already injured by that time. I think he looked great the year before, when Weiss was O. C. I think Cassel was a good leader in the past, and was able to get the team to rally around him. In 2 minute drills against various teams, he seemed to do quite well in my opinion.

I think with better playcalling OR OL blocking and we will see a vastly improved offense. Improve the OL AND the playcalling and we will be dominating on offense. Both in the passing game with Cassel AND on the ground.

I have been quiet about supporting Cassel lately, because honestly, no one wants to hear it and everyone seems dead set on moving away from it. That and more people are interested in talking about other players/issues.

Is he better than Manning? Until I hear clear confirmation that Manning is capable of throwing deep passes and with good velocity, then yes, Id rather have Cassel.

Is Cassel better than Flynn? I honestly dont know, and would rather go with someone who knows our players and has been a leader on this team in the past, than someone completely new.

Is Cassel better than Orton? I think they are about the same. Each has his strengths and weaknesses, but overall I think it is a wash. Orton cant get it done in the red zone as well as Cassel has with our players.

Is Cassel better than Campbell, Henne, any other FAs out there? Yes. Id take Cassel over these guys easily.

Is Cassel better than RG3/Luck/Tannehill/Weeden/other rookie? Yes. Maybe in 3-4 years, that answer will be different, but when was the last time a rookie QB took his team to the playoffs, let alone Superbowl? I think Cassel has a better chance to make us competitive in the playoffs NOW.
    Playoffs
    Andy Dalton (a full season) TJ Yates had to play for about 4 or 5 games I think and then they got into the playoffs. Cincy (Dalton) got beat by the Texans (Yates) and then got beat by the Ravens next week.

Mark Sanchez - beat the Bengals and Chargers and then lost to the Colts in the AFC championship game

Joe Flacco - beat the Dolphins and Titans and then lost to the Steelers in the AFC championship game.

Ben Roethlisberger - made it to the AFC championship game and then got stomped by the Pats

Super Bowl QB
    Kurt Warner - he played in the arena league and over in Europe but his first year in the NFL he took the Rams to the super bowl and won.

With the right QB we can make it to the AFC championship game but according to history we can't seem to move past that. I think this answers your question, yes QB's can come out of the gate as rookies and be a huge success.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

I agree with most of what you said. I'm not one that is opposed that Matt Cassel as the QB. I just want to see someone brought in that's going to push him. It will make Matt Fight harder to keep the starting job and I think that will make him a better player. I was one that wanted to see what Palko could do at one point last year. There's that old saying be careful what you wish for you might get it I think that's clearly a case of it. We saw the offense when Cassel was not out there. Something that I also think is a factor on what we have seen from Cassel is the Haley factor. How much was Haley a part of the reasons that maybe Cassel was not doing well. We saw Orton do pretty well when Haley was let go but we never really saw Orton in there with Haley as the head coach.

IF and it's a BIG IF Peyton is healthy and can prove it to teams then I think it's a must grab. If he's healthy I don't think there's much question on if he's better then Cassel I think he has proven that. This team is much closer to competing for a championship then they have been in YEARS AND YEARS. Peyton with the running game we have and the group of WRs we have would be a big PLUS in bosting our chances. I here talk comparing this to when Montana was brought in and I really don't think that the Chiefs were in the same postion they are now. We have a MUCH better group of WRS then we had then. Peyton would have more to work with on the offensive side of the ball. I think that if healthy we should grab him. It would give us the best chance to win the super bowl in the next couple of years. But I do think we should make sure he's healthy and can do the same things that he has done before we bring him in.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Playoffs
    Andy Dalton (a full season) TJ Yates had to play for about 4 or 5 games I think and then they got into the playoffs. Cincy (Dalton) got beat by the Texans (Yates) and then got beat by the Ravens next week.

Mark Sanchez - beat the Bengals and Chargers and then lost to the Colts in the AFC championship game

Joe Flacco - beat the Dolphins and Titans and then lost to the Steelers in the AFC championship game.

Ben Roethlisberger - made it to the AFC championship game and then got stomped by the Pats

Super Bowl QB
    Kurt Warner - he played in the arena league and over in Europe but his first year in the NFL he took the Rams to the super bowl and won.

With the right QB we can make it to the AFC championship game but according to history we can't seem to move past that. I think this answers your question, yes QB's can come out of the gate as rookies and be a huge success.
    I stand corrected about the history of rookie QBs in the playoffs ...

However, I am still not super comfortable with even Luck or Griffin being given the helms to this team right away ... even if we addressed the RT and LG spots in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I agree with most of what you said. I'm not one that is opposed that Matt Cassel as the QB. I just want to see someone brought in that's going to push him. It will make Matt Fight harder to keep the starting job and I think that will make him a better player. I was one that wanted to see what Palko could do at one point last year. There's that old saying be careful what you wish for you might get it I think that's clearly a case of it. We saw the offense when Cassel was not out there. Something that I also think is a factor on what we have seen from Cassel is the Haley factor. How much was Haley a part of the reasons that maybe Cassel was not doing well. We saw Orton do pretty well when Haley was let go but we never really saw Orton in there with Haley as the head coach.

IF and it's a BIG IF Peyton is healthy and can prove it to teams then I think it's a must grab. If he's healthy I don't think there's much question on if he's better then Cassel I think he has proven that. This team is much closer to competing for a championship then they have been in YEARS AND YEARS. Peyton with the running game we have and the group of WRs we have would be a big PLUS in bosting our chances. I here talk comparing this to when Montana was brought in and I really don't think that the Chiefs were in the same postion they are now. We have a MUCH better group of WRS then we had then. Peyton would have more to work with on the offensive side of the ball. I think that if healthy we should grab him. It would give us the best chance to win the super bowl in the next couple of years. But I do think we should make sure he's healthy and can do the same things that he has done before we bring him in.
    I agree that Peyton Manning of 2010 is an improvement over Cassel. He is an improvement over almost everyone in the league except for maybe Brady, Brees and Rodgers. But, without knowing he is healthy, I would rather have the devil I know than the devil I dont know.

Could we have some competition behind Cassel? Yes, Im all for it. Bring in Orton, Campbell, Henne, Quinn, Leinert (supposedly going to be cut pretty soon), etc but tell them right now they are the back-up and they have to win the starting job. I think you need to decide by mid-way through the preseason who the starting QB is (that may even be too late) so that they can get the right number of reps with the 1st team and everyone can learn each other's nuiances. Plus if they are serious about developing Stanzi, they need to have a clear delineation of #1 gets 60% of the reps, #2 gets 25-30%, and #3 gets 10-15%. Stanzi will need some time with the 1st teamers if you are serious about teaching him real game speed and reads. If you wait until the season starts to declare a started, or you change midway through the season, then you are already behind the powercurve compared to the other teams and you have problems. Hopefully Crennel knows this from experience.

(BTW, I think it would be funny if we brought in Leinert as the backup for Cassel. Kinda revenge for Cassel from his days at USC!)
    Last edited by jap1; 03-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Gonna go ahead and.apologize for "you're a joke." Everyone has their opinions lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    It could happen, but that is expecting a lot. There's only 4 days between the day Manning is due his money, and Free agency beginning. There's a ton that goes into contract negotiations, and it's a lot to do in 4 days considering the travel Manning will have to do.

I think he takes his time with this decision. He want's to be sure that he is making the right decision because he knows this will be his last chance to cement his name as one of the best, and make another super bowl run. He will cover all his basis before a decision, I think it's at least 1.5-2 weeks before we hear who he signs with.
    Do you foresee "The Decision: NFL Edition?"

"I'm taking my talents to ..."
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    If they think it's so great why are we talking about getting a new starting QB or trading up for our QBotF? As I've said in other posts I'm not trying to be a d*ck I seriously would like to know their thoughts on the subject. Or if you're referring to yourself jump in and provide some insights.

Because it's Peyton Manning. I like Matt Cassel's chances, should he get a couple of seasons in the same offense. But seriously, it's Peyton Manning.

As for the rookie thing, those who are interested in that are those who dislike the combination of Cassel and Stanzi for the future.

I can't help but think that you had to have known the answer to that, without asking.

But where have you seen anybody saying that Matt Cassel is "so great"?

It seems that the Cassel support has been very even-handed, while the dissenters have been rather emotional, and often irrational about their evaluations.

Like the comment above, with "how has that worked out?"

Actually, that has worked out pretty well.

4-12....2-14....4-12....10-6....7-9.

Take into account the in-season massive overhaul of talent in 2011, and it is undeniable that the team has made a massive turnaround since Cassel came here.

But the sarcasm, with the "lol", is to insinuate that we are somehow a laughable team because of the addition of Matt Cassel.

Again, one side is pretty reasonable about it, while many from the other side lack any form of realism.

Quote Originally Posted by KCCF View Post
    Flynn is cassel with less games started basically. You are willing to bet on a guy who we've seen literallly 1 time, and you are willing to get Flynn? Haha you are a joke. I'm no cassel supporter and I think we need a new qb, but that's not someone I'm willing to bet on.
    Far better to gamble with zero games of experience, isn't it?

And Flynn has started two games, not one, while he has actually played in 34 games, having thrown 132 passes (equivalent to 3-5 starts.)

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Because it's Peyton Manning. I like Matt Cassel's chances, should he get a couple of seasons in the same offense. But seriously, it's Peyton Manning.

As for the rookie thing, those who are interested in that are those who dislike the combination of Cassel and Stanzi for the future.

I can't help but think that you had to have known the answer to that, without asking.

But where have you seen anybody saying that Matt Cassel is "so great"?

It seems that the Cassel support has been very even-handed, while the dissenters have been rather emotional, and often irrational about their evaluations.

Like the comment above, with "how has that worked out?"

Actually, that has worked out pretty well.

4-12....2-14....4-12....10-6....7-9.

Take into account the in-season massive overhaul of talent in 2011, and it is undeniable that the team has made a massive turnaround since Cassel came here.

But the sarcasm, with the "lol", is to insinuate that we are somehow a laughable team because of the addition of Matt Cassel.

Again, one side is pretty reasonable about it, while many from the other side lack any form of realism.
    Get rid of Jamaal Charles and Eric Berry in 2010 and see how good we are. Oh wait, we found out this past year. This IS a laughable team because of Matt Cassel because he is RUINING a chance at a Super Bowl. This is a passing league. You can't just run the ball and expect to win. Running the ball and playing defense will get you 7-9 to 11-5. I'm sick of mediocrity.
    Last edited by Three7s; 03-02-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast