Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Tyson Jackson Haters

Default Hey Tyson Jackson Haters

In his third year, he's starting to turn some heads.

From the article:

When the Kansas City Chiefs selected Tyson Jackson with the third overall pick of the 2009 draft, they didn’t exactly get an immediate return on their investment. In fact, as a rookie, Jackson had one of the worst years you’re likely to see from any defensive player. He didn’t make defensive stops, got no pressure, and you get the sense he would have been benched early in the season but for his draft stock. Year 2 saw him miss time injured before bouncing back with a slightly below average year, but nothing to suggest he’d then turn into one of the premier run-defending 3-4 ends in the league as he did in 2011.

A testament to coaching and patience, Jackson led all 3-4 ends by registering a defensive stop on 10.6% of all running plays he was in for–no mean feat since only the Cardinals’ defensive ends played more snaps in this regard than him. The Chiefs don’t get much pass rush from their 5-techniques, but with Glenn Dorsey in sixth place on this list, you get an idea of what both men bring to the table. Maybe you want more from Top 5 picks, but they’re getting something from them.

2011 Run Stop Percentage: 3-4 Defensive Ends | ProFootballFocus.com

Even being that good, I think he will become a cap casualty next off-season. Can his contract be changed?
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Quote Originally Posted by pojote View Post
    Even being that good, I think he will become a cap casualty next off-season. Can his contract be changed?
    Yes, they can restructure a players contract and that could be of benefit to both parties. Jackson even with a stellar year won't get the kind of contract he got when he got drafted. He's due 14 million and change next year.

Unless I'm mistaken of course. But I'm pretty sure that you can always redo a players contract. Just so long as any guaranteed money is brought forward.

I would not call them "Jackson Haters", just uninformed don't wanna see the truth, kind of people. Most fans do not understand the true requirement of a 3-4 DE. Every one wants sacks, knockdowns, and hurries.

Most of us were very unhappy and surprised by the GM's and coaches choice to draft Jackson, when he was expected to be there at 12 to 20th pick, me included. But he has stepped up and is playing well. We are fortunate to have both Dorsey and Jackson. Dorsey is entering his final year on his contract and I've seen lots of reports that say he will not resign with the Chiefs. I would love to see us sign him longterm,before this season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I would not call them "Jackson Haters", just uninformed don't wanna see the truth, kind of people. Most fans do not understand the true requirement of a 3-4 DE. Every one wants sacks, knockdowns, and hurries.

Most of us were very unhappy and surprised by the GM's and coaches choice to draft Jackson, when he was expected to be there at 12 to 20th pick, me included. But he has stepped up and is playing well. We are fortunate to have both Dorsey and Jackson. Dorsey is entering his final year on his contract and I've seen lots of reports that say he will not resign with the Chiefs. I would love to see us sign him longterm,before this season starts.
    I haven't heard any rumblings about Dorsey being unhappy or wanting to go anywhere new. Where are some of these reports? I'm not calling bs, I'm curious as to what reports are saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    In his third year, he's starting to turn some heads.

From the article:

When the Kansas City Chiefs selected Tyson Jackson with the third overall pick of the 2009 draft, they didn’t exactly get an immediate return on their investment. In fact, as a rookie, Jackson had one of the worst years you’re likely to see from any defensive player. He didn’t make defensive stops, got no pressure, and you get the sense he would have been benched early in the season but for his draft stock. Year 2 saw him miss time injured before bouncing back with a slightly below average year, but nothing to suggest he’d then turn into one of the premier run-defending 3-4 ends in the league as he did in 2011.

A testament to coaching and patience, Jackson led all 3-4 ends by registering a defensive stop on 10.6% of all running plays he was in for–no mean feat since only the Cardinals’ defensive ends played more snaps in this regard than him. The Chiefs don’t get much pass rush from their 5-techniques, but with Glenn Dorsey in sixth place on this list, you get an idea of what both men bring to the table. Maybe you want more from Top 5 picks, but they’re getting something from them.

2011 Run Stop Percentage: 3-4 Defensive Ends | ProFootballFocus.com
    We keep posting stuff like this, but people still lump TJ in with Barry Richardson as useless dead weight and compare him to Ryan Sims and other draft failures. I just dont think some people will ever get it.

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    Great, so we picked someone third overall who can't rush the passer and then can only contribute to half of whatever rushing plays the offense runs (Seeing that he is on only one side of the field). The fuss with jackson is with the third pick you should be getting a franchise type pass rusher or other position, even with the "Top 3/4 run stopping DE" we still ranked i believe 15th in rushing YPC, that isnt good. Would you have taken Tyson Jackson with the first overall pick? Because we werent that far off, I know i sure wouldnt
    We get it, he was drafted to high. No one here is ever going to say otherwise. But you say he's only on one side of the field but then point to a team statistic (15th in rushing YPC). If that's what it was to the left side of the field alone I'd be shocked. Jackson is turning into a good DE and after missing most of his 2nd season he's finally starting to "get it". Shocking that it's about the same time last year that the Dorsey people stopped complaining about Dorsey's lack of production...wow the 3 year rule does generally hold true.

We didn't draft any DLine guys to rush the passer, we drafted guys that will demand double teams and will hold their ground which Jackson has been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    We get it, he was drafted to high. No one here is ever going to say otherwise. But you say he's only on one side of the field but then point to a team statistic (15th in rushing YPC). If that's what it was to the left side of the field alone I'd be shocked. Jackson is turning into a good DE and after missing most of his 2nd season he's finally starting to "get it". Shocking that it's about the same time last year that the Dorsey people stopped complaining about Dorsey's lack of production...wow the 3 year rule does generally hold true.

We didn't draft any DLine guys to rush the passer, we drafted guys that will demand double teams and will hold their ground which Jackson has been doing.
    We were awful against the run when they drafted Jackson. A run stopper was out biggest need in the draft that year and that is exactly what we drafted. He is doing exactly what he is supposed to do. The only reason people get bent outta shape about them reaching is because of the money involved. If they had the new rookie wage scale it would not matter nearly as much.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

The fuss with jackson is with the third pick you should be getting a franchise type pass rusher or other position,
    But that has not been your "fuss with Jackson", now has it?

Great, so we picked someone third overall who can't rush the passer and then can only contribute to half of whatever rushing plays the offense runs (Seeing that he is on only one side of the field). The fuss with jackson is with the third pick you should be getting a franchise type pass rusher or other position, even with the "Top 3/4 run stopping DE" we still ranked i believe 15th in rushing YPC, that isnt good. Would you have taken Tyson Jackson with the first overall pick? Because we werent that far off, I know i sure wouldnt
    On cue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast