Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manning: NOW how much would you pay?...

Default Manning: NOW how much would you pay?...

Let's suppose we do sign Manning, this year. What do you think is a reasonable contract, given the circumstances, and what do you think he would agree to? Here is my thinking:

3 yr deal:
    $10 million signing bonus.
    6 million per year salary
    Additional $500,000 for each game he sarts.

Total (max): 3yrs/$52 million

This would guarantee him $16 million up front, even if he never plays a snap.
    If he starts every game, he gets $14 million per year ($17.33 prorated against the cap).
    He would take home $24 million his first year if he starts every game.

This would protect the Chiefs if it doesn't work out and Manning would be well paid if it does, but not nearly as much as his deal with the Colts would have paid him. If he can't play, we cut him the first year and save $36 million (assuming he doesn't start any games).

Do you think that would be enough to get him and do you think he would take it?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

It would have to be an incentive based contract due to the seriousness of his past injuries. Sorry - no guarantees or signing cash for that reason. If he plays injury-free his first year here and shows he can take a hit and keep on tickin', give him his 16 mil and guarantee his contract for the next couple years. JMHO!
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Let's suppose we do sign Manning, this year. What do you think is a reasonable contract, given the circumstances, and what do you think he would agree to? Here is my thinking:

3 yr deal:
    $10 million signing bonus.
    6 million per year salary
    Additional $500,000 for each game he sarts.

Total (max): 3yrs/$52 million

This would guarantee him $16 million up front, even if he never plays a snap.
    If he starts every game, he gets $14 million per year ($17.33 prorated against the cap).
    He would take home $24 million his first year if he starts every game.

This would protect the Chiefs if it doesn't work out and Manning would be well paid if it does, but not nearly as much as his deal with the Colts would have paid him. If he can't play, we cut him the first year and save $36 million (assuming he doesn't start any games).

Do you think that would be enough to get him and do you think he would take it?
    I like the idea of tying a bonus to every game he's in. But I think I'd like to tie it to him playing a percentage of the game. Say a minimum of 50% of the game unless we're in the playoffs early and want to save him. Then it's a minimum of a quarter or the first few drives...whatever.

Signing bonus is a good idea but I'd change it to a 3 million per year signing bonus. That way say he comes in and gets hurt or his play has declined. We buffer ourselves from him getting hurt, not playing to his former potential or whatever.

My deal would be similar but different #'s basically.

2 yr deal (he'll be 36 by then and more than likely with all his injuries adding up headed down hill):
    - 3 mil signing bonus
    - 6 mil per year roster bonus
    - Additional $500,000 for playing a minimum of 50% of the offensive drives. If we've secured a playoff spot early a minimum of one drive per game.
    - 5 mil per year salary (max of 5 mil guaranteed)

This way we're only out 8 million (3 signing + 5 guaranteed) if he can't make the roster or can't play. Actually, I'm not sure if the preseason games count for getting a paycheck but I don't think they do. So we're out 14 million (3 signing, 6 roster, 5 guaranteed) if he gets to the regular season without getting hurt and 22 million in the first year if he meets the minimum playing time.

For the second year if he doesn't play up to standards we can cut bait with him and if he does well then he's making good money.

Total 2 year contract details: 41 million with only 8 million guaranteed. If I'm Pioli I point out that Peyton is 34 years old, moving to a new team, new system, just came off a one year hiatus and major surgery was the cause of that. I guarantee almost nothing save if he's playing he's making good money. Most of Indy's contract with Peyton were roster and option bonuses.
    Last edited by OPLookn; 02-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Total 2 year contract details: 41 million with only 8 million guaranteed. If I'm Pioli I point out that Peyton is 34 years old, moving to a new team, new system, just came off a one year hiatus and major surgery was the cause of that. I guarantee almost nothing save if he's playing he's making good money. Most of Indy's contract with Peyton were roster and option bonuses.
    That sounds great. You went into a little more detail than I did with it. Your plan would do a better job of protecting the Chiefs interests, but remember - it's not just a "take it or leave it" deal with Peyton. Other teams will be trying to sign him, too. Do you think that would be enough to get him (or is my deal too high)?

If it's not about the money, I think KC is absolutely the most attractive place for him to play, from his perspective. But what will other (more desperate) teams try to throw at him?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    That sounds great. You went into a little more detail than I did with it. Your plan would do a better job of protecting the Chiefs interests, but remember - it's not just a "take it or leave it" deal with Peyton. Other teams will be trying to sign him, too. Do you think that would be enough to get him (or is my deal too high)?

If it's not about the money, I think KC is absolutely the most attractive place for him to play, from his perspective. But what will other (more desperate) teams try to throw at him?
    No doubt. With owners like Dan Snyder out there throwing money like peanuts, it would come down to what Manning wants. I'm guessing that he is pretty much set financially, and KC + Romeo would be a fantastic fit.
    SHUT IT

No thanks on anything Manning. Would be a miracle if he's the same petting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    No doubt. With owners like Dan Snyder out there throwing money like peanuts, it would come down to what Manning wants. I'm guessing that he is pretty much set financially, and KC + Romeo would be a fantastic fit.
    Who knows, maybe he squadered all his money in gambling debts and when all the TV commercials and SNL gigs dried up, he is hard up for $$$. I hope thats not the case, but who knows.

Who knows where Manning will end up? As Cassel is ready to be back in uniform.
    ​Happy Halloween 2021

I don't know really, but I think a team is going to pay a lot for Manning.

He said he's willing to sign a performance based contract. So if he get's injured again (obviously I'd feel bad about his long term health if it's serious) it won't impact us as much money wise.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast