Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really hope we don't go after Peyton

Default I really hope we don't go after Peyton

Everyone it saying he wants 20 million guranteed first year. We Could fill a lot of holes on our team. For instance
    Kyle Orton 8 million one year, Mike Tolbert 2 million, and 10 million left hell might be able to sign Carr for that price, or get a really good RT or maybe resign some of our own FA's. Basically I like Peyton but he's old and busted up and even if he wasn't busted up one big hit and he's gone. We should never rely so heavily on one player I'd rather have a lot of good players then one great player, as good as Peyton is he needs someone so snap him the ball, protect him, and throw to and when you start throwing out 20 million on a guy that could go down by one big hit it makes the other areas of your team much weaker.
    Last edited by figcrostic; 03-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.

I agree in most part with you but Mannings neck is stronger than it was before the surgery. The nerve issue is separate from the fusion. Manning is arguably g.o.a.t. at the quarterback position.

My only issue with him would be the exit strategy when he is done. The colt quarterbacks behind him all suck because he focuses everything into himself to be ready. After watching his back ups do so poorly for so long I don't believe you can transition from him to someone else.

I'm fine if we don't get Peyton I am fine if we do get him. I don't think he's going to be a Chief there just seems to be no interest from Peyton to come to KC. Matt Cassel will be the starter in camp I am ok with that. AS long as we do bring in someone and give that person a real shot to earn the job as well.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

oh no who would ever want a multiple mvp and superbowl winning qb on there team.possibly the best qb of this era.we can bring the patriots up all we want but the bottom line is if they do not have tom brady at qb they dont win all of their superbowls.i am not trying to be a smart###.i respect your opinion that does have some valid points.but i think whoever gets manning at qb. becomes a drasticaly better team.there is a reason clark and pioli have shown interest in manning .it is the most important spot on your roster.and if you are only average at the position good luck getting a lombardi trophy in this pass happy league.just look at the rescent teams that have won the superbowl.all of them have better than average qb's

I have nothing against Manning, but just don't feel that we have an adequate O-line to protect him. If we'd made big strides in our O-line, that might be a different story. But we haven't.
    Last edited by Eydugstr; 03-11-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: to make better sense.

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    My hopes and dreams are crushed. With Peyton we would contend now we are not. I am beginning to think two things, A We didnt really offer manning a contract or B It was a rinky dink deal since we rarely seem to spend money. Seems like we will sign ben-jarvis green ellis. Thomas Jones V2.0 : (

C) It is possible he is trying to work a package deal with some of his former teammates. We have heard the Reggie Wayne connection. With Clark being released he may get added into the fold.

I would take Clark as our second TE in a hurry. Given how much timing there is in the Manning offensive system and one offseason to get things right, I dont see him going somewhere without taking a saftey valve or two with him. Given Piolis history that doesnt sound like his M.O.

My hopes and dreams are crushed. With Peyton we would contend now we are not. I am beginning to think two things, A We didnt really offer manning a contract or B It was a rinky dink deal since we rarely seem to spend money. Seems like we will sign ben-jarvis green ellis. Thomas Jones V2.0 : (
    Oh boy I missed you Orton

Here's something I know you didn't think of. Maybe just maybe we did offer Peyton a contract that wasn't cheap but (heres the outlandish part) He didn't want to play for the Chiefs. I know I know it's something that we can't understand being Chiefs fans we like to think that everyone wants to play for the Chiefs. But maybe that's why he hasn't shown any signs that he wants to sign with us because he just doesn't want to be a Chief. There are many more reasons why he could not be signed then the two you gave. Or maybe he is going to come for a visit to Kc and then sign after that. Wouldn't be the first time the media is wrong about something.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

If they offered manning a lucrative deal then my thought process would say that he would atleast had gone for a visit. We technically dont know, you are right but that is what I think, with the exception of route we really arent known to spend money
    Report: Chiefs, Seahawks out of the Manning chase | ProFootballTalk

According to this is was MANNING that didn't want to meet with us. It's not that we didn't want him he didn't want to go to KC. I say forget him then he doesn't want to be a Chief then why should we want him?

On to other things
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

If they offered manning a lucrative deal then my thought process would say that he would atleast had gone for a visit. We technically dont know, you are right but that is what I think, with the exception of route we really arent known to spend money
    This statement makes zero sense. First of all, Denver and Arizona haven't even talked to him about a contract yet.

Peyton has met with both the Broncos and the Cardinals, Per Klis, money has not yet been discussed.

Speaking of money, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is reportedly “ready to make a major offer.” But the Broncos, Klis says, will be competitive with whatever Ross offers.(source)
    The Chiefs are the only team that has offered Peyton a contract so far, and you can bet that with no other team to bid against it was high enough to get his attention. You can also bet that that offer was just a starting point for negotiations. You never throw your final offer out there until a counter offer is made.

Second, everyone, including Manning, himself, is saying money won't be the deciding factor. He doesn't need the money. He will go where he thinks he will have the best chance of winning and/or not getting hurt.

And third, haven't you complained that Cassell's contract is too high, And TJ's contract is too high? Look at what we are paying Flowers and Hali. Even our kicker is the third highest paid in the NFL at his position if I remember right.

How can a team that is "overpaying" all these players be the same team that is not willing to spend enough money. Do you realize that "overpaying" means spending too much money?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Personally I would love so much to sign Peyton. But not signing wouldn't be the end all and be all, as long as he doesn't sign with the Donks.

The team I would most want him to sign with if he doesn't sign with us is probably the Cards. They aren't in our division or even conference so it'd be a rarity to play against him. Also I feel a bit sorry for those cards. Losing the super Bowl like they did. I especially feel sorry for Fitz. He could really use a Qb like Manning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast