Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Hillis' Lands on Chiefstown

Exclamation Peyton Hillis' Lands on Chiefstown

So it's Official .. we got Hillis for 1 year contract for 1 Million.

So we got a mix of Speed and Power ..

That raw power missed since Okoye .. hope Hillis turns into a bargain and a great RB.

Peyton Hillis is a Chief - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Hey. We are the headline article on ESPN's NFL page for this signing. We get some attention finally at least!
    Hey, they stole my title

The other Peyton - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

LMAO... I hope they DO sign Tolbert as well... why wouldn't they? It's not like we have a pair of Pro Bowlers in the backfield already... oh wait.

Plus, c'mon... this team is completely solid EVERYWHERE else and there's really no other position at which the Chiefs should spend money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    LMAO... I hope they DO sign Tolbert as well... why wouldn't they? It's not like we have a pair of Pro Bowlers in the backfield already... oh wait.

Plus, c'mon... this team is completely solid EVERYWHERE else and there's really no other position at which the Chiefs should spend money anyway.
    I get it, your kidding, your kidding! We'll find out tomorrow (maybe-hopefully) about Winston. I have not seen anywhere we are talking to Grubbs, yet.

I like this signing. He's a very good complement to Charles. I think they'll look to bring in another back in the middle rounds to take over should Hillis leave after the 1 year is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I like this signing. He's a very good complement to Charles. I think they'll look to bring in another back in the middle rounds to take over should Hillis leave after the 1 year is up.
    Agreed.

hey look we signed a peyton i told all of you lol ;)

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Why do we go for one year deal everybody else is singing 3-5 year deals?
    because the people everyone else is signing are WORTH 3-5 years.
    ^^This!^^
    it's obvious that all we're going to do is sign for depth and not worry about getting any better.
    But not ^^This!^^

Ask yourself the same question from the other side: Why would Hillis sign with us for one year when other RBs are getting 3 to 5 year deals? The answer is pretty obvious. Nobody was willing to offer him a better deal.

When a player signs a one year deal like this, especially this early in FA, it's usually because he has no other options. In Hillis' case, teams may be reluctant to sign him long term because he struggled with hamstring injuries, last season.

What is likely is that Pioli told Hillis, "We believe in you and think you have a lot of potential. We want you to play for us but we have concerns about your ability to stay healthy. We will give you a one year deal and if you show us that you can produce and stay healthy we will give you a long term extension before your contract expires. Hillis, naturally, believes in himself and wants to prove he deserves more, so he will be highly motivated to show the Chiefs (and the NFL in general) that he can play. And the Chiefs are protected if he can't, so this is a win-win situation.

These types of contracts are becoming fairly common, especially with running backs, where they don't play as long as players at other positions, and there is a much greater likelihood of getting injured (because they get tackled a lot, lol). Last year the Bears did the same thing with Roy Williams when nobody else wanted him. They signed him to a 1 yr/$2.46 million deal. He didn't produce and now he's a free agent again.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 03-15-2012 at 02:56 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    ^^This!^^

But not ^^This!^^

Ask yourself the same question from the other side: Why would Hillis sign with us for one year when other RBs are getting 3 to 5 year deals? The answer is pretty obvious. Nobody was willing to offer him a better deal.

When a player signs a one year deal like this, especially this early in FA, it's usually because he has no other options. In Hillis' case, teams may be reluctant to sign him long term because he struggled with hamstring injuries, last season.

What is likely is that Pioli told Hillis, "We believe in you and think you have a lot of potential. We want you to play for us but we have concerns about your ability to stay healthy. We will give you a one year deal and if you show us that you can produce and stay healthy we will give you a long term extension before your contract expires. Hillis, naturally, believes in himself and wants to prove he deserves more, so he will be highly motivated to show the Chiefs (and the NFL in general) that he can play. And the Chiefs are protected if he can't, so this is a win-win situation.

These types of contracts are becoming fairly common, especially with running backs, where they don't play as long as players at other positions, and there is a much greater likelihood of getting injured (because they get tackled a lot, lol). Last year the Bears did the same thing with Roy Williams when nobody else wanted him. They signed him to a 1 yr/$2.46 million deal. He didn't produce and now he's a free agent again.
    If that's what the Chiefs wanted to do, they would've put a team option in for 2013... that way, if he DOES perform the way the Chiefs hope, they get to keep him without escaping in free agency again. The only reason he came here was because of the new OC. He wasn't gonna go anywhere else anyway.

My comment about Pioli signing just for depth still applies here. A Hillis signing does nothing to improve our starting 22.

If that's what the Chiefs wanted to do, they would've put a team option in for 2013... that way, if he DOES perform the way the Chiefs hope, they get to keep him without escaping in free agency again. The only reason he came here was because of the new OC. He wasn't gonna go anywhere else anyway.

My comment about Pioli signing just for depth still applies here. A Hillis signing does nothing to improve our starting 22.
    It takes the load off of JC and helps in short yardage situations.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    It takes the load off of JC and helps in short yardage situations.
    Right... it's about depth. He's not our starting RB... unless I'm missing something... and that's assuming homeboy stays healthy.

... sorry... i'm just pissed about being a Chiefs fan. I've been trying to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt but he's making it real #ucking hard after ignoring the NT position year in and year out since he's gotten here and implemented his 3-4. This whole defense is centered around that one effin position and he's done NOTHING to solidify the position. It honestly doesn't matter what he does with the rest of the roster if that ONE position isn't taken care of.

A team that runs a 3-4 without a stud NT isn't going to contend. It's not rocket science... and this POS GM can't figure that out... and THEN to be sitting on the 3rd or 4th largest cap space in the league and allow a STUD, prime-entering, NT to sign a 2-year, $12MM contract with a team who will no longer be using a NT is un-#ucking-believable!!! You can't tell me that if you offer Soliai 4/35 that he's not going to take it!!

This team NEEDS an elite NT and Pioli cares more about bringing in some dipsh!t TE from Seattle who hasn't played a game since 2010 and who he couldn't even get a meeting with instead of figuring out how to get Soliai signed. It's pathetic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast