Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Hillis' Lands on Chiefstown

Exclamation Peyton Hillis' Lands on Chiefstown

So it's Official .. we got Hillis for 1 year contract for 1 Million.

So we got a mix of Speed and Power ..

That raw power missed since Okoye .. hope Hillis turns into a bargain and a great RB.

Peyton Hillis is a Chief - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Right... it's about depth. He's not our starting RB... unless I'm missing something... and that's assuming homeboy stays healthy.

... sorry... i'm just pissed about being a Chiefs fan. I've been trying to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt but he's making it real #ucking hard after ignoring the NT position year in and year out since he's gotten here and implemented his 3-4. This whole defense is centered around that one effin position and he's done NOTHING to solidify the position. It honestly doesn't matter what he does with the rest of the roster if that ONE position isn't taken care of.

A team that runs a 3-4 without a stud NT isn't going to contend. It's not rocket science... and this POS GM can't figure that out... and THEN to be sitting on the 3rd or 4th largest cap space in the league and allow a STUD, prime-entering, NT to sign a 2-year, $12MM contract with a team who will no longer be using a NT is un-#ucking-believable!!! You can't tell me that if you offer Soliai 4/35 that he's not going to take it!!

This team NEEDS an elite NT and Pioli cares more about bringing in some dipsh!t TE from Seattle who hasn't played a game since 2010 and who he couldn't even get a meeting with instead of figuring out how to get Soliai signed. It's pathetic.
    I feel you about the NT, Pioli could have done more to get Solai. Is Gregg retiring? If he isn't he's probably OK for another year. And the rest of the D is playing better each year.

Also I feel they could have done more to get Manning. Obviously he's still a FA but it looks very doubtful we'll get him. I mean, maybe Manning really DIDN'T want to visit KC and even give KC a chance at all but the way it looks, I think he could've done more. The fact of having manning alone, would attract other good Free Agents.

Gregg is a UFA and expected to retire.

If that's what the Chiefs wanted to do, they would've put a team option in for 2013... that way, if he DOES perform the way the Chiefs hope, they get to keep him without escaping in free agency again.
    That makes perfect sense for the Chiefs, but why would Hillis (or his agent, more likely) agree to that? Job security? Not really. The Chiefs would be under no obligation to exercise that option. And if Hillis performs really well, as he is hoping to, then he is locked into a second year at low pay.

The Chiefs can always extend his contract if they feel he is worth it. They don't need the option, but if Hillis is looking for a payday he can explore free agency again in a year. That is why more and more FAs are opting for shorter contracts. By the time you get to the 4th or 5th year you can be grossly underpaid relative to other players at your position, but you can't do anything about it.

The contracts don't really protect the player because the team can cut you and not honor the remainder of the contract (other than "guaranteed" money).

My comment about Pioli signing just for depth still applies here. A Hillis signing does nothing to improve our starting 22.
    Fair enough. It was the "not worr[ied] about getting any better" part that I was mainly disagreeing with. In my opinion, anyway, adding depth has everything to do with getting better. Look how much a lack of depth hurt us last year. And it can have the indirect effect of making Charles better by reducing his number of carries and getting him more rest in a game.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Right... it's about depth. He's not our starting RB... unless I'm missing something... and that's assuming homeboy stays healthy.

... sorry... i'm just pissed about being a Chiefs fan. I've been trying to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt but he's making it real #ucking hard after ignoring the NT position year in and year out since he's gotten here and implemented his 3-4. This whole defense is centered around that one effin position and he's done NOTHING to solidify the position. It honestly doesn't matter what he does with the rest of the roster if that ONE position isn't taken care of.

A team that runs a 3-4 without a stud NT isn't going to contend. It's not rocket science... and this POS GM can't figure that out... and THEN to be sitting on the 3rd or 4th largest cap space in the league and allow a STUD, prime-entering, NT to sign a 2-year, $12MM contract with a team who will no longer be using a NT is un-#ucking-believable!!! You can't tell me that if you offer Soliai 4/35 that he's not going to take it!!

This team NEEDS an elite NT and Pioli cares more about bringing in some dipsh!t TE from Seattle who hasn't played a game since 2010 and who he couldn't even get a meeting with instead of figuring out how to get Soliai signed. It's pathetic.
    It's a known fact that Soliai turned down Denver who was offering him more money and that's before we could even get him on the phone or schedule a visit. It's not all about money and Soliai proved that by taking a 2 year, 12 million dollar contract. The guy wanted to stay in Miami. But let's blame Pioli....right.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you really hadn't thought about that because you were posting at 4 am.

... and you KNOW what Denver offered?

... and you KNOW what Denver offered?
    No I don't know what Denver offered but everyone's been saying it was more. Denver needs a NT bad too so they're not going to low ball him. In the words of Chris Carter....C'mon man!

At first I was annoyed by this.

After some thought, this is a good signing.

Was a monster under Daboll when he was in Cleveland. Hopefully he can get him running like that again.

He'll have a fire under him this season to prove he still has it. After that, he'll look for a starting job and bigger money.

this is a great deal for both, Hillis gets a chance to prove he is the same back from 2010, if he is then he will get big $ as an FA. if he does not pan out the CHIEFS have only a small?? investment for one year, but if he does have a big year we get first crack at extending his stay in KC.

he could be the perfect compliment to JC. pound hillis between the tackles, send JC off tackle, then switch it up late in the game. maybe add in tolbert could be an awsome backfield, not to mention you could have four able receivers out of that backfield. very tough to defend and should open up the field for cassel and the super "B's". should be fun to watch if they can put it all together.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    this is a great deal for both, Hillis gets a chance to prove he is the same back from 2010, if he is then he will get big $ as an FA. if he does not pan out the CHIEFS have only a small?? investment for one year, but if he does have a big year we get first crack at extending his stay in KC.

he could be the perfect compliment to JC. pound hillis between the tackles, send JC off tackle, then switch it up late in the game. maybe add in tolbert could be an awsome backfield, not to mention you could have four able receivers out of that backfield. very tough to defend and should open up the field for cassel and the super "B's". should be fun to watch if they can put it all together.

Almost sounds like we might be able to convert a third down!

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Almost sounds like we might be able to convert a third down!
    Not necessarily, we'll have run two times by then and we'll be relying on a pass. Oh wait, Haley/Muir aren't here. Never mind, move along, nothing to see here people.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast