Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Le'Ron Mcclain to the Chargeless

Default Le'Ron Mcclain to the Chargeless

Apparently ESPN is reporting that Le'Ron Mcclain is signing with the Chargers.

Peyton Hillis is a Chief - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Apparently Mike Tolbert is still coming here and we are still interested in signing him. Maybe we would use Tolbert as FB and Charles/Hillis as RBs.

According to ESPN Tolbert would be more of a long term signing.

Mike Tolbert will still visit the Chiefs - AFC West Blog - ESPN

And "running back by committee" seldom works well.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    And "running back by committee" seldom works well.
    Every team is using multiple running backs. It helps the running backs stay fresh, it also adds a change of game should a defense schemesfor one person, and it prolongs the career of the running backs by not burning them out in one season.

And John Riggins never really amounted to much if he got less than 30 carries in a game.

Running by committee does not work.

Nothing wrong with having an RB who specializes in short yardage, but for the day in day out work all running backs want to KNOW they are "THE MAN".

And John Riggins never really amounted to much if he got less than 30 carries in a game.

Nothing wrong with having an RB who specializes in short yardage, but for the day in day out work all running backs want to KNOW they are "THE MAN".

I agree with you ... somewhat.

I guess it just depends on one, who your best running back is and two, how much your offense runs the ball. If you have an Adrian Peterson, a Walter Payton or an Emmit Smith, you can give them 30-40 carries a game. But most teams don't have that luxury. You look at RBs like Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson (sorry!) and they were outstanding for a few years, but quickly got "used up."

Also, if you are a team who relies on a "balanced" offense--in other words, you run the ball more than everybody else does, lol--then it really helps out a team to have a 2nd RB who can produce.

I think it is very rare that you have a 50/50 split, or with 3 RBs a 40/30/30 split, but Denver has done well in the past with multiple running backs. It only makes sense that you will give the bulk of the carries to you best RB, since your run offense is going to be more productive when he is carrying the ball.

You hear phrases like "thunder and lightening" a lot lately, and I think that works well if you have one RB who is an open field slasher/speedster and another who is a big bruising guy that can get you 3 or 4 yds in 3rd down and goal line situations.

It seems counter-intuitive that, in a game that relies more and more on the pass, we need more running backs, but that seems to be where we're headed. Defenders are much bigger, faster and stronger than they were 20 or 30 yrs ago, and RBs wear down more quickly. There is only so much "tread on the tires."

It's like you need to add just enough soy to extend the beef, but not so much that it no longer tastes good. If you can have a 2nd back that comes in every 3rd or 4th offensive series, that makes a big difference. 2 years ago we had Charles rushing for 1467 yds and Jones adding another 896 and we led the NFL in rushing. That was a pretty effective "committee!"
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I agree with you ... somewhat.

I guess it just depends on one, who your best running back is and two, how much your offense runs the ball. If you have an Adrian Peterson, a Walter Payton or an Emmit Smith, you can give them 30-40 carries a game. But most teams don't have that luxury. You look at RBs like Shaun Alexander who quickly got "used up." and Larry Johnson (sorry!) who ran behind an outstanding line for a few years.

Also, if you are a team who relies on a "balanced" offense--in other words, you run the ball more than everybody else does, lol--then it really helps out a team to have a 2nd RB who can produce.

I think it is very rare that you have a 50/50 split, or with 3 RBs a 40/30/30 split, but Denver has done well in the past with multiple running backs. It only makes sense that you will give the bulk of the carries to you best RB, since your run offense is going to be more productive when he is carrying the ball.

You hear phrases like "thunder and lightening" a lot lately, and I think that works well if you have one RB who is an open field slasher/speedster and another who is a big bruising guy that can get you 3 or 4 yds in 3rd down and goal line situations.

It seems counter-intuitive that, in a game that relies more and more on the pass, we need more running backs, but that seems to be where we're headed. Defenders are much bigger, faster and stronger than they were 20 or 30 yrs ago, and RBs wear down more quickly. There is only so much "tread on the tires."

It's like you need to add just enough soy to extend the beef, but not so much that it no longer tastes good. If you can have a 2nd back that comes in every 3rd or 4th offensive series, that makes a big difference. 2 years ago we had Charles rushing for 1467 yds and Jones adding another 896 and we led the NFL in rushing. That was a pretty effective "committee!"
    There fixed that for you...

I see your point, I mean it failed Miserably for the Giants with their one two punch of Jacobs and Bradshaw.

You should change your Statement by saing Running Back by Committee does not work for Selfish Me Me Running Backs, but it does work with WBM (win before me) type of running backs.

I don't want anybody misunderstanding what I am saying. I'm not against having more than one RB. It's GREAT to have that guy that converts those 3rd and 1 and 4th and inches situations and punches through for the TD on 2cond and goal from the 2. You NEED a guy like that.

It's also good to have a secondary back who keeps opposing defenses honest. The situation mentioned by TopekaRoy

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy
    If you can have a 2nd back that comes in every 3rd or 4th offensive series, that makes a big difference. 2 years ago we had Charles rushing for 1467 yds and Jones adding another 896 and we led the NFL in rushing.
    was a good example of what I was talking about. Yes....Jones got almost 900 yards, but it was still only 61% of what JC got. There was never any question of who our primary RB was. We had our RB and our backup RB. That was not running by committee. Or at least not my interpretation of running by committee.

I don't want anybody misunderstanding what I am saying. I'm not against having more than one RB. It's GREAT to have that guy that converts those 3rd and 1 and 4th and inches situations and punches through for the TD on 2cond and goal from the 2. You NEED a guy like that.

It's also good to have a secondary back who keeps opposing defenses honest. The situation mentioned by TopekaRoy

was a good example of what I was talking about. Yes....Jones got almost 900 yards, but it was still only 61% of what JC got. There was never any question of who our primary RB was. We had our RB and our backup RB. That was not running by committee. Or at least not my interpretation of running by committee.
    Yeah, it looks like we are on the same page here. I guess I wasn't really clear on what you meant by "running back by committee." I think it can work for a few teams but most teams have to have that "main guy."
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

That was my point TR. It's great to have that BIG BRUISER that can damned near pick up 1 or 2 yards without any blocking just by brute force. And it's good to have a "diversionary" RB who picks up some decent yards and keeps the opposing "D" from being able to key on any one guy. But if you are going to have a truly serious running attack I think you have to have one guy who is indisputably "THE MAN". And then you have to pray he doesn't develop a size 42 head.....like LJ did.

I think the only situation where "running back by committee" can really work is when you have an absolutely dominant O-Line. If you have that, then most anyone who understands the basics of running behind a rush block can pick up good yardage. There are horses and then there are Kentucky Derby horses.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 03-15-2012 at 03:58 PM.

That was my point TR. It's great to have that BIG BRUISER that can damned near pick up 1 or 2 yards without any blocking just by brute force. And it's good to have a "diversionary" RB who picks up some decent yards and keeps the opposing "D" from being able to key on any one guy. But if you are going to have a truly serious running attack I think you have to have one guy who is indisputably "THE MAN". And then you have to pray he doesn't develop a size 42 head.....like LJ did.

I think the only situation where "running back by committee" can really work is when you have an absolutely dominant O-Line. If you have that, then most anyone who understands the basics of running behind a rush block can pick up good yardage. There are horses and then there are Kentucky Derby horses.
    Jamaal Charles is not one of them. On 2010 he played a lot less snaps than Jones, but never complain. He knows what is best for the team and also best for him. He was the first Chief player to welcome Hillis on twitter. I think he won't and shouldn't start next season, just wait to Hillis does the dirty work wearing down defenses, and start running in that way that only JC knows how.

7,0 YPC this year!!!
    Last edited by pojote; 03-15-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast