Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sean Payton Suspended for One Year

Default Sean Payton Suspended for One Year

Sean Payton suspended, Saints fined for bounty program

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year and the team will lose its second round pick in 2012 and '13 and pay $500,000 as a result of the NFL's bounty investigation, the league announced Wednesday.

Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who orchestrated the program, has been suspended from the NFL indefinitely. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis also faces an eight-game suspension and a $500,000 fine.

The NFL revealed in early March an investigation which found more than 20 defensive players for the Saints participated in a 'bounty' system from 2009 to '11 which rewarded individuals with cash for harming opposing players.

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game," Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday. "We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities. No one is above the game or the rules that govern it. Respect for the game and the people who participate in it will not be compromised."

The league found that the cash pool reached $50,000 or more during the 2009 playoffs, and players were paid $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off" with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs. Money was provided primarily by players.

All such payments violate league rules for non-contract bonuses.

Williams administered the program, and the NFL says Payton was not a direct participant, yet was aware of the allegations and "failed to stop the bounty program." Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt is also suspended without pay for the first six games of the 2012 season.

Payton and Loomis took "full responsibility" for the violations in a joint statement issued days after the findings, and later met with Goodell in New York to discuss the issue.

The pair apologized for the "unique hardship" on team owner Tom Benson, recognized the severity of the violations, and promised that they "will never happen again."

Williams, who left the Saints this offseason to become defensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams, apologized for his program, which he reportedly also implemented in several other NFL cities. Commissioner Goodell will review Williams' status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him.

"I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again," Williams said.

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma became the player face of the program following an SI.com report describing his $10,000 offer to any player who could knock Brett Favre out of the 2009 NFC Championship Game.

Link - Sean Payton suspended, Saints fined for bounty program

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    True, but Brees was highly considering sitting out this year, anyway. Now it looks like it is almost a certainty.

I guess he picked the right year to hold out over a contract dispute. This could have an adverse effect on the Saints for many years to come.
    Definitely. I wouldn't want to be a saints fan right now

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    I think Payton only got that much because he is the Head Coach. He didn't have anything to do with the bounty system, whether he knew about it or not. I believe he is being unfairly punished. I think it's the players and Gregg Willams who should be suspended this much if not for longer.
    Payton didnt just get punished because it was going on, he also took heat for telling players to lie to investigators and cover up what was going on. I think they all deserve what they get...they got a SuperBowl out of it, now its time to pay for it.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Its is the same as the college death sentence for cheating. It took over two decades for SMU to recover after theirs.
    Is it to much not really, there is no excuse for intentionally hurting someone. How would the players feel if they hit someone and collect a $10,000 bounty but broke the other players neck? Not only would it end a career but change his life forever. The sport is violent enough without trying to hurt the other players.

I think that is stupid. You got, Belicheck who cheated and didn't get suspended. Vick only served in prison...

They should suspend the players that did it..
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Goodell claims the players heads roll next week
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

The game of football is all about being physical, in that it is a full contact sport. I have no respect for an additional way of making money to be rewarded for putting a fellow NFL player out of a game. That just makes me sick. These pro players are paid enough to play this game. To be rewarded for a bounty on creating a injuries! For it to be a known thing going on, all involved should pay a penalty, and that penalty money should go to the disability fund. This game of football is a game that can and does have live changing injuries, it also can create life changing rewards. But to knowing allow a bounty on a player of a opposing team that also has a financial reward, in a NFL game, well that has no place in a sport where the top athletes, the best of hundreds try out for, some make it, some never make it, the ones that do, play to there best skill, but you are a target that if you are injured, the one that takes you out is rewarded by a bounty?
    I have no problem with the penalties issued.
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 03-23-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    Goodell claims the players heads roll next week
    I want to see them get banned for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    I think that is stupid. You got, Belicheck who cheated and didn't get suspended. Vick only served in prison...

They should suspend the players that did it..
    The Patriots and Belicheck lost draft picks and got fined $$ for videotaping. Not intentionally trying to injure players.

Vick "only" served jail time for an offense outside of football.

The players involved most likely will face suspension, but the Coaches should be held responsible for their part (a prety big part) of what happened.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I think if a LOT of players get suspended they may have to stagger the suspensions somehow. Otherwise the Saints won't be able to put a competitive defense on the field. It will hurt the integrity of the game. Not that it hasn't been damaged already. I expect heavy fines and short (3 or 4 game) suspensions for the players involved.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12