Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Indianapolis make a huge mistake?

Default Did Indianapolis make a huge mistake?

Only time will tell at this point, but part of me is thinking, if all these teams were able to work Peyton Manning out and were satisfied with his progress, why would the Colts release him.

Yes, I know when he was out the team sucked and they needed to rebuild that team because they were horrible all around. But if I were the GM. I would have kept Manning and rebuilt around him, thats one less BIG hole to fill.

Think about it, if they decided they were keeping Manning, it would probably mean they did not want to pick Andrew Luck. That means they would probably be open to trading out of the #1 pick. Imagine how much easier it would be to rebuild if Washington was willing to give you 3 extra 1st round picks over 3 years and whatever other picks they sent to St. Louis for the 2nd pick. If you are worried about trying to compete NOW and not in 2-3 years after these new draft picks learn how to play in the NFL, then trade those 1st round picks for established young up and comers in the league.

Maybe Manning's arm is done. But a big part of me thinks it isnt, and that part of me also thinks that the Colts were idiots for cutting him loose.

But they would be in the same position in 2-4 years needing a QB and they would have at best a mid round pick and not have a chance to get a top QB that could be around for 15 years.

No, They were already slipping with him as their QB before he got hurt.

They let him go because they are stripping their team down, and rebuilding starting with a New Franchise QB. Why keep a guy and pay him 28 million, knowing this.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    But they would be in the same position in 2-4 years needing a QB and they would have at best a mid round pick and not have a chance to get a top QB that could be around for 15 years.
    ^^This^^

I think they would have kept Manning if they didn't have the #1 pick AND Andrew Luck wasn't coming out this year. Supposedly, he is one of the best QBs to come out of college in the last 20 years. We'll see if that turns out to be the case.

But they have a chance to replace a beat up, aging Manning with a very young Manning. And keeping Peyton probably would've meant keeping several aging veterans as well. The lower cap space and the probably lower draft picks would have made it much harder for them to rebuild.

They are losing a great QB, but they lucked into another great QB (pun intended!) I think they made the right decision.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 03-21-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

No.(that's all I wanted to say but I got a message the post was too short, so here's some extra words: extra words)

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    I get that, but at the same time, if they went the route I mentioned, you could argue that they would hopefully have SOME kind of a team around that QB. Right now I feel bad for Andrew Luck. Indy has NO ONE right now really, and really no OL.

In 2-4 years, with good drafting/FA acquisition if they might have a solid team built around Manning when he retired.

Also, with regards to the money issue, I would think if cap room became an issue that prevented them from signing people, Manning would have considered restructuring his contract. According to his press conference 2 seasons ago with his new contract, he was really proud that he was going to retire as a Colt. Maybe behind the scenes he didnt want to surrender a pay cut, who knows.

I was just wondering if I was the only one who was thinking this way ... apparently so.
    Last edited by jap1; 03-21-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typos

no way indy made a huge mistake.they have to be one of the luckiest franchises ever.at the end of your best franchise qb's career he gets hurt and it puts you in line to have another franchise qb for many years to come.andrew luck is no joke even if they go 1-15 this year all they have to do from here on out is grab the small pieces .because after this draft they will have the biggest and most important piece A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.

I think they just want to sign a guy with the name Luck to go with their horse-shoe. We'll see how that works for them, jk.

I think that they could have done better by trading the #1 pick and got compensated say like the rams did. If Manning was too much risk for them they could have signed Tebowe, Flynn, or any of several others. Then with the 3 extra first round pick they could have one heck of a team. Plus they could have used the extra picks trade up and get a QB next year. It appears that there may be 4 maybe 5 good qbs in the 2013 draft. This way they could have a good qb with less then half the cost of Luck, and with the trade they could build the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I think that they could have done better by trading the #1 pick and got compensated say like the rams did. If Manning was too much risk for them they could have signed Tebowe, Flynn, or any of several others. Then with the 3 extra first round pick they could have one heck of a team. Plus they could have used the extra picks trade up and get a QB next year. It appears that there may be 4 maybe 5 good qbs in the 2013 draft. This way they could have a good qb with less then half the cost of Luck, and with the trade they could build the rest of the team.
    And although the 1 spot is only one up on the 2 spot in the draft, one might think they could have gotten say a couple of extra 2nd round picks from the 'skins. Seems they don't need any picks... hey maybe we could trade someone with them we don't need, we could use a couple extra picks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast