Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs looking at Franklin

Default Chiefs looking at Franklin

Bill Williamson of ESPN reports, that the Chiefs are showing interest in former New Orleans Saints DT Aubrayo Franklin. Having a player that can rotate into the line up such as Franklin would be an upgrade to a defense that ranked 26th against the run last season. However, Franklin only played in 296 snaps last season which could cause some concern of how effective he will be since he is going to turn 32 in August. The Chiefs are have been actively looking to replace the aging DT Kelly Gregg who did little to help the Chiefs defense last season. The addition of Franklin along with another player would certainly sure up the NT position in the Chiefs defense.

Against it.

He underperformed last year with the Saints, which is why he's a FA in the first place. Not only that, he doesn't fit the Chiefs system of gap control. He'd be a pretty large risk if he wants a big contract.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Against it.

He underperformed last year with the Saints, which is why he's a FA in the first place. Not only that, he doesn't fit the Chiefs system of gap control. He'd be a pretty large risk if he wants a big contract.
    I'd be against a large contract but if we can get him cheap he'd be a nice addition to a position we are weak at.

I would not have a problem with us signing him, if we didn't pay him much, as it would mean we would not be drafting D Poe in the first round. But I think we could find a "just as good nt" in the second round. I'm not exactly on the Poe bandwagon, however I would be ok if they did draft him.

I would like to see the Chiefs pick up DeCasto or Keuchly in the first.

Kudos to pioli and staff for the good fa pickups that give us these great options.

I think him underachieving should drop his price tag somewhat, I 100% agree with you about Poe. We do need a situational veteran presence at NT, if he would be willing to play that role I think he is worth a gamble on a one year contract.

I like this move...His drop in play will bring his price tag down.

The thing is, I think the Chiefs Brass still wants to see what Jerrell Powe can do, he only got like 10 snaps last year. So I don't like the idea of taking a chance on Powe in the 1st. My view is that we would be waisting a 1st round pick, when we may have an answer on the roster already. (I would rather have a sure talent in DeCastro or Keuchely than a boom-or-bust talent like Poe)

My thoughts: Add Franklin to a 2 year deal (for a veteran precence, who could be better than Gregg was last year) Get Powe some playing time next year and find out what he can do.

But don't stop there...The Chiefs have set themsleves up in the draft to pretty much focus on "best talent available" while focusing a little on need. I would like to see us draft Josh Champan from Alabama in the 3rd round. Guy is a pure-bread NT who was the most impotant piece of Alabamas stout Defense (in the only game he missed this season the Defense allowed 302 rushing yard against georgia southern!, in the remaining games he started they only allowed an average of 59 yds/gm). He is tough as nails (played a majority of the year on a torn ACL) He has since has surgery, and is recovering nicely (this is why his stock has dropped) The guy was projected as a late 1st- mid 2nd, and now he is graded out as a 3rd because of this injury.

The injury does not concern me much because #1 the ceiling is high and #2 it will only be a 3rd round pick so we aren't risking much. Plus with Franklin and Powe we wont need to rely on Chapman much giving him time to recover fully.

So with adding Franklin, we rotate in Powe and Champan to get relevant reps, and after 2 years of learning and situational playing time, we now have our NT issue solved for the next 5 years post Franklin.

ive watched kuechly play and yes he makes alot of tackles but not much else popped out at me

Quote Originally Posted by whackojacko58 View Post
    ive watched kuechly play and yes he makes alot of tackles but not much else popped out at me
    Tackling is good. Especially if you play a defensive position!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Tackling is good. Especially if you play a defensive position!
    Not to sound like a smarty-pants, but I think he meant plays that were game-changing. Tackles for loss, big sacks, interceptions, so on.....

Can't say I know anything because I haven't seen him play. Just sayin`.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

yea that :p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast