Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs looking at Franklin

Default Chiefs looking at Franklin

Bill Williamson of ESPN reports, that the Chiefs are showing interest in former New Orleans Saints DT Aubrayo Franklin. Having a player that can rotate into the line up such as Franklin would be an upgrade to a defense that ranked 26th against the run last season. However, Franklin only played in 296 snaps last season which could cause some concern of how effective he will be since he is going to turn 32 in August. The Chiefs are have been actively looking to replace the aging DT Kelly Gregg who did little to help the Chiefs defense last season. The addition of Franklin along with another player would certainly sure up the NT position in the Chiefs defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    I like this move...His drop in play will bring his price tag down.
    Are these the kind of players we really want for this team - cheap, declining players? Part of the "right 53"?
    Not if you want to win a superbowl. No thanks.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Are these the kind of players we really want for this team - cheap, declining players? Part of the "right 53"?
    So based on what's available..what would your plan be?

Looks to me like he would be close to the best available for the short term? unless you really do want to invest another 1st round pick on our D-line and have basically 2 rookies with no NFL experience rotate at the position all year...

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    In a purely situational role I think it's worth a gamble for training camp. I try not to judge ability purely based on their prior team.

Maybe his drop off in performance when he went to New Orleans was because he refused to participate in the Bounty Program and thus wasnt given much playing time and thus wasnt able to perform on the field - mmm this koolaid is yummy

Maybe his drop in production last year was because of back injury and may still be an issue if he signs with KC, but he is better than anyone we have on the roster right now.

Life on the Nose: Today's Market for NFL Nose Tackles | ProFootballFocus.com

This is another good article with some stats why Franklin is not going to command a big payday.

Still for a team that was statiscally a lower half run defense team. Having that Run Blocker half of the time is better than no Run Blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Maybe his drop off in performance when he went to New Orleans was because he refused to participate in the Bounty Program and thus wasnt given much playing time and thus wasnt able to perform on the field - mmm this koolaid is yummy

I think I would hold off on signing him till all the players are suspended for that whole issue. We don't no if he is a part of that or not. He was only there a year but I wouldn't think it's not possible that he would be a part of it.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

He doesn't excite me at all, but if we can get him really cheap, the Chiefs should get him.
    The Chiefs are Back!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast