Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chiefs and Character Profiling

Hybrid View

Default The Chiefs and Character Profiling

Hi everyone. Im a new NFL fan from England and I'm currently without an NFL team. Given that I don't have any particular connections to the USA I have decided to choose a team based on certain personal criteria. Recently I've read about the importance the Chiefs place on character assessment and I really like the idea of this, based on the notion that it will instill a good team work ethic and possibly generate role models for the future. I respect teams who don't make headlines for the wrong reasons and are known for being honest and hard working (i.e. likeable). I also like the fact the Chiefs are a smaller market team without the large volume of fans like some of the 'bigger' teams. So far I have discovered that both the Chiefs and the Falcons are strong on the character profiling philosophy and I'm just waiting to find out something that separates the two teams for me. I realise I'm posting this in a Chiefs forum but that's partly because Chiefs fans have a decent and knowledgeable reputation, so I'm sure I will get a helpful response. Basically, what factors get considered by Pioli in terms of team selection and can you influence my support either way? Sorry for the length of this and thanks for reading.

I think you definitely are considering the best team in the NFL, but I'm a Chiefs fan and a bit bias in their favor.

The best person I can think of to ask this question to is Connie Jo; a well known and respected member of this sight, and someone who has first hand insights into the Chiefs administration. However, I will say this: that I believe the Chiefs take the character high road, so to speak, almost to their detriment. I hope you become a Chiefs fan, it is a team rich in professional football history. Without it's original owner Lamar Hunt (RIP) the NFL as we know it today does not exist. Google Lamar and read up on the teams history and I'll trust that you'll make the right decision.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 03-28-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Just a "bit" biased...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I think you definitely are considering the best team in the NFL, but I'm a Chiefs fan and a bit bias in their favor.

The best person I can think of to ask this question to is Connie Jo; a well known and respected member of this sight, and someone who has first hand insights into the Chiefs administration. However, I will say this: that I believe the Chiefs take the character high road, so to speak, almost to their detriment. I hope you become a Chiefs fan, it is a team rich in professional football history. Without it's original owner Lamar Hunt (RIP) the NFL as we know it today does not exist. Google Lamar and read up on the teams history and I'll trust that you'll make the right decision.
    Thank you for your kind words and praise, although I don't feel worthy of such, it is appreciated.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Thank you for your kind words and praise, although I don't feel worthy of such, it is appreciated.
    You're welcome kiddo! And, you are absolutely "worthy of such".

I have been a CHIEFS fan since 1960. The main reason i have remained loyal all these years is the Hunt family seems to instill a family atmosphere into the team itself. Unlike many teams [ie raiders] the CHIEFS have never had a reputation of being a nasty or dirty team but rather just a bunch of guys playing hard in the heartland of America. Even the CHIEFS fans have a more hospitable reputation than nearly the rest of the NFL, for visiting fans that is. They have earned the title of the best tailgating stadium in the league. I whole heartedly agree w/Chiefster that you should post to or PM ConnieJo to get the best skinny on what is best about the CHIEFS management and fans.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Not only do the Chiefs place an emphasis on Character when choosing who to add to the team player wise, our coach is one of the most respectable/ high character men, I believe in the NFL.

I got the chance to meet Romeo and his wife about a month ago at an event, and he was the most humble down-to-earth person I think I have ever met (not saying that just because he is a coach either). When you meet someone of that position, you expect them to talk "just because the are expected to" and to not really pay close attention, or converse back...

Not the case! Romeo made my wife and I feel like we were friends, we had a lengthy conversation with him, and he was just so honest, and personable (not to mention respectful).

I think meeting him, reassured me of how proud I am to be a Chiefs Fan, and to know that I am rooting for someone who believes in the right things.

I'll tell you, if I would have met him, and he'd been rude, I would have a hard time continuing to root for the Chiefs.

Just another reason you can be proud if you decide to root for the Chiefs (the guy in charge deserves to succeed, and I think he is the one that can take us to our next long awaited championship)

another good read for you is in the Kansas City Star, go to kansascity.com click on sports then read "Pioli keeping an eye on Iowa hawkeyes"
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Thankyou for your great replies so far. I will definitely follow up your advice in terms of further reading and suggestions. I will be looking into that later on when i get a chance to sit down. In the meantime all responses are appreciated :)

Hey, if a Chilean can become a Chiefs fan, why can't a British?

If you can, please read what happened to LJ, I won't say his name, but you can read about it here: LJ in Wikipedia.
    He needed just 75 yards to be all time Chiefs rushing leader, but the organization didn't let him for his detrimental conduct.

Just an example.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast